The Fountain

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
decadentdave said:
You contradict yourself. Before you said there was no second act yet now you are hypothesising the thematic themes of the plot by cutting out the second act, therefore you are acknowledging that the film has a second act.

I read in another thread that English is not your first language, so let me illuminate you. I was referring to the second act of Requiem For A Dream. I was stating that if you took out the second act of Requiem for a Dream that the experience, while still containing the same basic thematic elements would not be nearly as poignant as it was. I feel that it was happened to the Fountain. In cutting the film down for budget reasons I can't help but feel that Aranofsky cut the movie down to its barest essence. He kept the core of the movie but removed a lot of the texture, is what I think happened.

If you weren't in such a mad rush to "gotcha" me over such a minor difference of opinion as you seem to be, you might have picked up on that. Since you seem to be unable to avoid trying to make this discussion into an argument(a pointless one at that, since I liked the damn film), I don't see any further use in discussing this with you past this post.

Maybe you didn't get the philosophical or emotional conclusion that would have been to your satisfaction but I was quite satisfied by the conclusion and it was open to interpretation and debate which is what we are doing here so that proves that the film succeeded in its intent.

You cannot seem to get it through your head that it is possible for someone to get this film, understand it completely, and still not think it's one of the greatest films of all time. I LIKED the movie. I thought it had many good qualities. I just don't like it as much as YOU do. Your argument is as blindly passionate as a 13 year old girl who's been told their favorite Boy Band isn't as good as the Beatles. I see no further use in discussing anything of worth with you, as you are clearly lacking in rationality and profundity. So you join JLCMSU as the second person on my ignore list. Good day.

Last edited:
:moon:moon:moon

busholympics.jpg

Last edited:
liked Requiem for a Dream a lot but wish I hadn't heard so much good stuff about Pi before I saw it because I thought it was overrated. I did not like this film. I thought it looked great, but just didn't enjoy the experience.

Oh and don't forget, before you respond, remember, everyone else's opinion is just as valid as yours. I know some people just HATE to hear that!!! :lol

P.S. like the best T shirt ever says..."Your favorite band sucks!!!!" :arr

SOME MINOR SPOILERS BELOW:

Saw this last night. It was a beautiful and moving film, but not in any way profound for me, as I have already, over the course of my life and the things that have happened to me personally, come to terms with the themes presented. In other words, it was beautifully made and struck close to my heart since it is EXACTLY how I think about life and death, but it did not open up any new boundaries for me. I does sadden me to see that people are not flocking to see it, because I think it's a very timely movie that *could* open other people's eyes to a healthy way to deal with death and enjoy they time they are given, if they let it. Ultimately though, I think it is too "weird" and "metaphysical" for the masses. Plus, it was marketed all wrong.

Here's a great interview with Aronofsky (WARNING: contains spoilers, so don't read it until you've seen it, as you should really go in spoiler free... and if you've seen any trailers, try to block them from your mind as well): https://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/interviews/darrenaronofsky.html

That being said, Pan's Labyrinth is my favorite movie this year. Can't wait to see it again at the end of December!

Last edited:
I thought the film had some great visuals and excellent performances, however I also thought it was a good idea in search of a story. I thought Pi and Requiem were better films from an overall perspective.

P1X4R said:
you will either love it or hate it. i personally loved it. it's not your typical fast action movie. it takes time to get into. i found the theme of past, present, future lives between the two characters very interesting. it's quite depressing actually so be prepared for that. lol. i thought hugh jackman portrayed his character quite well. something very different than wolverine. we had a QA session with the director afterwards. it was noted that brad pitt was originally the actor for the part. man, that would have been a different movie! i'm glad it turned out the way it did!
Yep, originally it was Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. I remember a few years ago Brad Pitt had already grown the beard and everything for the movie and then he dropped out.

well, i picked up pi and requiem this weekend. wow, i am feeling quite shocked after watching both (esp requiem). i must have been sheltered as a kid growing up! it makes me not want to bring kids into this world. lol. :D

both movies as i expected were "deep". very good job in telling the downfall of each character. it was pretty funny seeing the main character from pi in requiem! well, let's just say i won't be watching these movies any time soon. not exactly chick flicks. :D now i'll probably check out websites to get into it even more just to satisfy my curiosity. man, i am emotionally distraught right now. :lol

Back