The Force Awakens - Figure discussion (with SPOILERS!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard not to feel bad for the poor white guy who could have gotten Finn's role if it were only released 30 years ago. A tragic miscarriage of justice has occurred here, my friends :monkey2

Here is the story as Abrams describes it:

We came up with a show that was this honestly standard thing — it wasn’t a great script. Well they said they wanted to make it and we cast the show and did it. The thing that killed me the most of all, frankly, was we wrote it without even thinking who would be in it.

“We wrote these characters but when we went to cast it, one of the things I had felt, having been to the Emmy’s a couple times — you look around that room and you see the whitest ****ing room in the history of time. Its just unbelievably white,” he said. “And I just thought, we’re casting this show and we have an opportunity to do anything we want, why not cast the show with actors of color?””

— JJ Abrams

revealing how he chose actors for the color of their skin, not for who he thought were the best actors or actresses. These preferences flowed into gender as well.

Well i must say I liked this movie but...
1) I'm not happy Harrison Ford got his wish granted - That one destroyed my family and the kids (6 + 10) do not want to watch the movie again. I don't know that my son will dress as Han Solo again.
2) I feel as though one person (Rey) was given everything - Falcon, Force, Chewy, R2 . What I liked most about the other movies was the team. At the end of ANH we see a family-team that has come together. At the end of this movie it is one person.

Other than the two above criticisms I really thought the movie was GREAT. But those are major points for me. It was darker than I expected. I've been away from the forums for some time but I am glad I logged in and read everyone's posts. I don't feel as alone.

Last edited:
Well i must say I liked this movie but...
1) I'm not happy Harrison Ford got his wish granted - [...]

That bothers me on a number of levels; but it wasn't handled as cynically as I thought it might be, back when the rumour was leaked and I thought it was unlikely.

While it drove a plasma-stake through my childhood (it's just a movie guys! :monkey2 ) it did impart a lot of emotional weight to the story.

Here is the story as Abrams describes it:

— JJ Abrams

revealing how he chose actors for the color of their skin, not for who he thought were the best actors or actresses. These preferences flowed into gender as well.

That quote is about 'Undercovers' not Star Wars.

The world is very diverse. There's no reason why star wars shouldn't be as diverse.There are plenty of non white /female sci fi fans that have little to no representation in these type of films. I think the cast did a tremendous job.

That bothers me on a number of levels; but it wasn't handled as cynically as I thought it might be, back when the rumour was leaked and I thought it was unlikely.

While it drove a plasma-stake through my childhood (it's just a movie guys! :monkey2 ) it did impart a lot of emotional weight to the story.

I agree. It was done in a good way. It's just that it was done in the first place that hurts. I think there could have been a work-a-round if they tried harder but with parallels between this movie and ANH it was inevitable that someone would have to take on the sacrificial Obi-wan role. At least it wasn't meaningless. I'm ready for Kylo Ren to get his head chopped off.

I agree. It was done in a good way. It's just that it was done in the first place that hurts. I think there could have been a work-a-round if they tried harder but with parallels between this movie and ANH it was inevitable that someone would have to take on the sacrificial Obi-wan role. At least it wasn't meaningless. I'm ready for Kylo Ren to get his head chopped off.

Oh man, I feel like i'm in the minority but I really don't want to see him die lol He's actually my favorite character of the new bunch, hopefully he commits fully to the dark side and starts offing the people that fail him instead of letting them walk away, which I believe was the point of Han, Kylo can now kill without remorse, like Vader did.

Oh man, I feel like i'm in the minority but I really don't want to see him die lol He's actually my favorite character of the new bunch, hopefully he commits fully to the dark side and starts offing the people that fail him instead of letting them walk away, which I believe was the point of Han, Kylo can now kill without remorse, like Vader did.

Oh... as far as the dark side is concerned Kylo Ren's character is well done for sure. His emotion is more of what I wanted to see in Anakin's decline. He is the proper antagonist for the story to be sure. He is not my favorite character but he is well done and should not be killed off. I just don't like him because of what he has become and did in the movie. I do like this movie a lot - I'm just still dealing with Post Movie Tramatization. LOL

I think Kylo will be around for both episode 8 and 9. Very unlikely that he gets killed before the conclusion of the ST.

2) I feel as though one person (Rey) was given everything - Falcon, Force, Chewy, R2 . What I liked most about the other movies was the team. At the end of ANH we see a family-team that has come together. At the end of this movie it is one person.

My feeling is completely the opposite on this. On PT Anaking had all: greatest pilot, greatest jedi, master of this, master of that. Now we have Poe as the pilot, Finn as the gunman and Rey as a Jedi. I'm fine with that.

Anyone else really wanting hot toys to do a Poe Dameron figure now? He was seriously one of my favorite parts of the movie!

Poe was great! I'm hoping they do a General Leia with Maz-Kanata like the Rey & BB-8

Um, Anakin came back from infanticide, so he's really paved the way for Kylo doing his own death bed conversion. It's hard for me to imagine that they won't redeem Kylo given his pedigree (i.e., dies with some grand gesture/bid to save others). I don't see them going for say a Game of Thrones take where he's evil until death, though that would be refreshing, maybe.

So where do you think Benicio del Toro's character will fit in with this?
Obviously it will be the first Marvel/Star Wars crossover, as he is the Collector in the Marvel films. He'll be collecting a light saber or something, and the Empire will try to get it from him. Then, Guardians of the Galaxy will get involved with Rey and friends, etc. They'll need the Force to stop Thanos.

As for Crylo, I suspect they're going to redeem him, but really, really, really hope they don't. Been there, done that Disney.

Um, Anakin came back from infanticide, so he's really paved the way for Kylo doing his own death bed conversion. It's hard for me to imagine that they won't redeem Kylo given his pedigree (i.e., dies with some grand gesture/bid to save others). I don't see them going for say a Game of Thrones take where he's evil until death, though that would be refreshing, maybe.

Yeeeahh...I saw ROTJ when I was ten. I probably didn't think too deeply on it again until my twenties, but I've never bought it as an adult. Vader was a mass-murdering, genocidal psychopath who tortured what turned out to be his own daughter and was later revealed to murder children.

I believe he could have experienced remorse, finally -- and done in the emperor as a gesture or a reaction to PTSD, whatever...saving his son etc. ... but for that to translate into redemptive Force-Ghostiness?

It essentially says that you are not in control of your actions while being controlled by the Dark Side. Who knows, maybe that's a thing. But Star Wars has some heavy crimes on its villains and convenient narratives aside, that's some dark ****.

Back