The Dead Specimen Busts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Low quantity.

I'll pass. Nothing like a collectable instantly depreciating after you buy it.

Low quantity.

I'll pass. Nothing like a collectable instantly depreciating after you buy it.

I agree. I think when people start posting picks and everyone realizes how small they are the value will drop like a rock. Pretty smart marketing move by SS not to post any pic's of this set beside that apple. :lol

Once the actual size is known and people have money to spend, the value will increase. Can't beat a good deal combined with a limited edition of 200.

Once the actual size is known and people have money to spend, the value will increase. Can't beat a good deal combined with a limited edition of 200.

An ES of 200 on a Marvel product featuring a killer excl. is one thing, an ES of 200 on an obscure brand of min-busts is something altogether different. Like I said before, it was no accident that SS's famous apple, which is always featured with new pre-orders, wasn't featured this time. The least SS could do is provide a magnifying glass with this set 'cause you're going to need it. :naughty

Good god just let the people who ordered them enjoy it and quit bashing and telling us how we are going to regret it. These aren't large busts, the people that ordered them realize it but we are fans of The Dead line and are looking forward to them. I'm not collecting to make some profit, I'm getting them because I think they are fabulously creepy and a welcome addition to my zombie collection.

I ordered without seeing the in stock thing. I think it looks great.
Man that is killing me---had to cancel LOTR bronze dio and maybe this---Next year my brakes are not going to need replacing and I will not buy new carpet for basement before Spook

An ES of 200 on a Marvel product featuring a killer excl. is one thing, an ES of 200 on an obscure brand of min-busts is something altogether different. Like I said before, it was no accident that SS's famous apple, which is always featured with new pre-orders, wasn't featured this time. The least SS could do is provide a magnifying glass with this set 'cause you're going to need it. :naughty

So you're saying one of the most honest collectible companies around intentionally left out a size comparison just to sell 200 sets of tiny heads?

I hope when I call, they will add in the code/discount. I bought a kit afterall. What sucks is that so much is shipping with in a two week period. BUT....Must have dead heads!! they're so limited too.

Its not from a Spook Kit, but Sideshow Original lines like the Dead, Blackbeard PF, Dinosauria, etc.

yah, they emailed me one last week when i ordered the butcher. i may still use it on the busts. i still want to see how big they are. maybe they will seem like a good deal later but it seems like a lot for what may end up being tiny heads. then again...they are zombie heads...gah! 200 doesn't seem like a small number tho after trying to get the universal silver screen stuff :lol.

yah, they emailed me one last week when i ordered the butcher. i may still use it on the busts. i still want to see how big they are. maybe they will seem like a good deal later but it seems like a lot for what may end up being tiny heads. then again...they are zombie heads...gah! 200 doesn't seem like a small number tho after trying to get the universal silver screen stuff :lol.

Those Silver Screen Editions are just greedy paint variants of sculptures that have already been made in larger numbers. There are only 200 total of these sets, aside from some artist proofs.

Those Silver Screen Editions are just greedy paint variants of sculptures that have already been made in larger numbers. There are only 200 total of these sets, aside from some artist proofs.

Lol @ "greedy paint variants".

You don't think some people like the black white vs color style? Not sure if you're defending SS or insulting them.

Obviously many people want variants. It's still a way for Sideshow to squeeze more money out of a sculpt that has already been released as "limited edition". My point is, this Dead set is truly limited since it has no variants. That can't be said for many items in its price range, if any exist at all.

Last edited:
Obviously many people want variants. It's still a way for Sideshow to squeeze more money out of a sculpt that has already been released as "limited edition". My point is, this Dead set is truly limited since it has no variants. That can't be said for many items in its price range, if any exist at all.

Who's to say they don't end up doing a variant?

So you're saying one of the most honest collectible companies around intentionally left out a size comparison just to sell 200 sets of tiny heads?

You must be new to collecting :google.....you obviously weren't around for the Moria Orc PF incident. :rolleyes: And yes, I'm saying it was deliberate. But what would I know, Ive only been collecting their products for 8+ years now......I'm not, nor have ever said these aren't
nice, or that people shouldn't buy them....I'm just saying people are going to be a bit surprised at the size of these things.

APPLE OR FAIL.

Fail pics with fail posts or fail. :p

FAIL-of-the-week-12-600x400.jpg

Well, I'm sure anybody who was in chat knows how much I wanted these, and I'm still very happy they went up just as I had to run out the door to go to work. But like others, I totally forgot about the originals coupon. I'm going to be calling at 8 a.m. tomorrow, and see if they will adjust the order, or cancel it and let me reorder with the coupon. I've had three of these coupons, and only used one so far.

Also just wanted to note that for those who do not receive the email with an "original coupon" in it, you can check in your account and find it on the original order that you placed which has been fulfilled for an "original SS item." I deleted my emails a long time ago, but can find the coupons in my SS account.

Can't wait for this set to get here in a few days. :D

I hope they're not that tiny as some are saying?... else they're going back to SS unless they knock off a good $75.

You must be new to collecting :google.....you obviously weren't around for the Moria Orc PF incident. :rolleyes: And yes, I'm saying it was deliberate. But what would I know, Ive only been collecting their products for 8+ years now......I'm not, nor have ever said these aren't
nice, or that people shouldn't buy them....I'm just saying people are going to be a bit surprised at the size of these things.

My first Sideshow purchase was Jen and Kira when they first came out. If that makes me new to collecting, I'd be curious to know what makes someone experienced.

Since the website provided box dimensions and included a pic with the box next to the set, it wasn't as deliberate as you might think.

Assuming there's no perspective distortion and Sideshow's box numbers are correct, one can easily conclude these have a total height of 11 inches or more. Therefore, the length from chin to the top of the head is about 5 inches. A real human skull is about 10 inches. Like the majority of Legendary Scale Busts produced so far, that makes this set about 1/2 scale.

I'm still unclear on why you think these heads are 1/5 scale. That's absurd to me. And saying these are that small could be considered worse than calling them "not nice".

I agree with you on one thing though. People will be surprised at the size, but in a good way.

Perhaps, since they are in stock, the photos were taken before the apple was incorporated into the layout. What if they were going to reveal these, with a normal pre-order, last winter and decided to wait until Spooktacular?

As OCP has pointed out, we were given the box dimensions and a pic of the busts beside the box.

So what's the big deal?

Back