1/6 The Dark Knight: Batmobile - Tumbler (relaunch)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi - found an eBay seller who produces kits of those display cases. Just told him the dimensions, color and material I want and he prepared everything. Just had to put it together myself, and had 5 Panels of thermally toughened safety glass made in the proper size by a local glazier. (they are 8 mm thick, so I can use it as a normal coffee table as well and don't have to worry about scratches or even a breakage.)

The eBay seller is located in Germany, so not sure if that is an option due to shipping costs, but if you want to figure it out, that's his eBay shop:

https://stores.ebay.de/HEWA-VITRINEN

Congrats to your new ride! Hope you had a big grin like me, when unboxing this monster (facial expression of my girl friend looked slightly different in that moment, no idea why ... ;) )

Yeah, a pedestal would bring it up to eye level certainly, but on the other side of the room is my home cinemas screen located and I would probably have a tough time wachting my movies through the display case. ;)

View attachment 91049

Nice work on this, it looks great, so jealous

I think that happens with certain types of finish on furniture. This has happened to a table I had my tumbler on as well. Not sure if its the rubber and weight that cause a reaction to to the finish. I now just put cardboard underneath each of the tires now.

I can confirm this problem and it was mentioned earlier in this thread too: The rubber seems to react with gloss or color finishs of wooden tables. Noticed these kind of marks under the wheels of my Tumbler just after a couple of weeks and put some thin untreated display bases under the wheels afterwards.

It's due to the rubber polymer being used by Hot Toys. It has happened to all these collectibles companies and I'll tell you why. They don't have any long term materials experience and no one working for them with the right experience in selecting the materials. You can compare this to companies with long histories in hobbies like RC where tires if left unused will last decades in perfect condition. It's a shame, and Hot Toys should be embarrassed about such basic mistakes.

I had a small acrylic stand made for mine when I had it's case made. I wonder about the longetivity of the wheels, it's such a nice piece I'd hate for it to be knackered a few years down the track.

I had a small acrylic stand made for mine when I had it's case made. I wonder about the longetivity of the wheels, it's such a nice piece I'd hate for it to be knackered a few years down the track.

The rubber should not do that on it's own, I bet the chemicals are the culprit here from the wood finish. Your plastic stand should be fine.

The rubber form the wheels will stain a plain piece of white bond paper after time in my experience. They seems to stick to anything.

Not the style of marking left on the table, because that reaction actually caused the finish on the table itself to break down. The tires will stick to the paper and you'll see some discolored mark (potentially) when you pull it off. The amount of time and other factors probably contribute to the degree of stickiness. I mentioned before that the rubbers used on Microsoft mice for instance break down with no contact or exposure to unusual environments at all - even if left in the package. I think the tires will last longer, but I really question what they'll look and feel like in 5+ years.

That's a real shame. I was contemplating attempting some light weathering on it so it looked like it actually cruised the mean streets of Gotham but perhaps it would be better to just flog it off before issues arise.

That happened with mine too. I have mine on a cloth/rug at the moment until I can get/build a display case for it. Anyone think it'll fit in 2 1x1 BESTA units?

Does anyone know of any place that sells display cases for this or does everyone pretty much just make their own custom case? I currently just have mine sitting out on a table, but would like some sort of acrylic box to cover and protect it.

I know there used to be a member of this forum who was selling some very nice acrylic cases specifically for the Tumbler, but that was several years ago and I don't think he offers them anymore.

So some of the tacky gloss coat got rubbed off the side of one of my front tires. It's really bothersome, having half of the tire look glossy and the other half looking dull. Does anyone have any ideas on how I would go about restoring some shine to the dull portion of the tire? Would a testors glosscoat work on rubber? Anyone else address this issue yet?

Aren't the tires supposed to be dull?

Actually I'd say yes but the Tumbler's front wheels apparently have another rubber mixture compared to the Bat-Pod's wheels, which basically have the same shape.
So the Tumbler's wheels are a little more shiny overall, they also feel differently.

Last edited:
Back