The Dark Crystal busts/dioramas from Sideshow??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the Henson announcement last month they were going ahead with a Dark Crystal 2, I wouldn't worry about a lack of Dark Crystal products coming out.DARK CRYSTAL 2 NEWS

Why do they always have to ruin my favourite movies with sequals!? Sequals SUCK!!! Stop doing it you moronic !@#$! filmstudios!! You should all be lined up and shot in the head for it!~!~:rage :bang :medic

Pfffff...so now thats out of my system, here's the whole article:

Henson planning Dark Crystal sequel

"The Power of the Dark Crystal" features Jen and Kira as king and queen fighting to save their kingdom when the crystal is once again split.

By Greg James
May 13, 2005

Varity reported that The Jim Henson Company is planning on making a sequel to the 1982 fantasy classic "The Dark Crystal".

The film, which is titled "The Power of the Dark Crystal", has been written by David Odell (The Dark Crystal, The Muppet Show) and Annette Duffy. No director is yet attached to the film which will start shooting this fall and is planned for a 2007 release. The film will combine live-action animatronic characters with CG animation. Like its predecessor, the film hopes to push the boundaries of puppetry, special effects, and visual story-telling.

The story for the film is set many years after the original movie. The first film's original heroes Jen and Kira are now king and queen, and must fight to save their kingdom when the crystal is once again split.

Any further cast and crew announcements have not been made. But it has been cited that The Jim Henson Company wants to involve many of the people who worked on the original movie (such as Brian Froud and Frank Oz). The official word on the cast & crew should be made later this year once production picks up on the project.

The Jim Henson Company had tossed around ideas of a sequel (or prequel) over the years. In the late '90s there was strong support from many Henson executives, led by Brian Henson, to make a prequel to the 1982 film. Sadly the plans never materialized; but now that the company is "Muppet-free" they want to work to bring back many of their existing productions and franchises.

The film has built a strong cult-following since 1982 and mixed with the new surge in "fantasy world" films in the recent years, Henson feels that now is the perfect time to bring back the world of the Dark Crystal.

The company is also working on developing animated series, interactive games and other related media as well.

:bang :bang :bang , I can't belive there doing this, without Jim henson.:\ But they don't give a @#%$ has long has it makes a load of money for them, they will be happy.:bang

To be fair, Brian and Lisa do care a lot about their father's legacy. And it's not like Dark Crystal was a huge blockbuster and they're just doing it to mint money. It's a risky venture - still rather they put that effort into a Farscape film though...

STUPID idea.

The sequel will be full of fake looking CGI.

The original Dark Crystal is a masterpiece and a one of a kind movie. The characters, settings, score from Trevor Jones are all classic.

Henson is all about the puppets - I doubt they'll use much CGI. I'd think the main reason they're doing it is to try to revive puppetry as an alternative to CG.

Defenitely. I agree. It's to revive it. They can take their fathers dream and make it work seamlessly with todays tech to help it.

If they want to revive puppetry, why would they use CGI? Kinda failes to make a point really...

And puppetry isnt exactly dead yet. Team America: World Police used puppets, the stop motion picture Corpse Bride from Tim Burton uses puppets and then there's the movie Strings from Anders Rønnow Klarlund (Stringsthemovie.com).

If they want to make a new Henson puppet movie, thats fine by me. But dont make a sequal to a classic. They made sequals to the Muppet films and they sucked balls beyond belief!! Let them use their imagination instead of riding on established porducts.

Back