The Chris Chulamanis Memorial Custom USCM Figure Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming that we're going with a more serious expression, which is not always as Chris seems to have been pictured, but is how most headsculpts are, these were my first 2 sculpts that came to mind
nudetn.jpg
and Dragon Peck, which of course I can't find a pic of right now.
based on this photo:
USCMChrisfigure01.jpg

Those look good. The ref for the Dragon head looks fine. And that one shot of Chris himself is super.

And Rex, GLAD TO HAVE YOU ABOARD BRO! :rock Didn't mean to miss greeting you. Thanks for all your help. I wish I had known Chris better. At least we have a fighting chance of accuracy now. Cool stuff!

And food for thought...
Do we only want to make a figure based solely on what he looked like at shows, like DragonCon, or, are we free to put him in battle, with more wear, as if he were just coming out of a bughunt? :D DA Josh and I really wanted to weather him up more..put him on a cool base, maybe put an ALIEN head or spent Facehugger there he's vanquished.... Thoughts guys? This is a memorial figure...are we not free to embellish on him some? Put him in the heat of battle, or just after...I bet Chris would've liked that...
Just a thought... Do discuss...
I got no problem with what you guys wanna do...

Hi Les,
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm enjoying myself here tremendously!

At first thought, I too thought a "fresh out of bughunt" would be best...but, if we are to give it to Joy as a memorial of her husband, I'm wondering if a serious expression is what she'd most want?

It's a tough call. Could go either way.

And, most figure sculpts rarely have a smile... :D

Is there a "in-between?"

What type of base? What about one w/ a back and at least one side? Something like the interior of the corridors where the Marines were fighting?

nudetn.jpg

That head above could be worked into a smile. More than a Mona Lisa, less than a broad one...

As for a true base, with sides like for a scene, that is more than I can do right now, but I am for one if you guys wanna go that route. I was thinking simpler varnished wooden base, with maybe some groundwork added, and a plaque, but if you have better ideas, and can make one, I have no objections. Guys? any comments?

Im not quite sure how to put this but i think what all you guys r doing is an amazing gesture! a fitting tribute to a truely great man.

to the family - you will be in my prayers and i think its a good time to remind everybody not only is it a time to mourn but a time to celebrate the life of a great man and all he did on this earth.

i didnt feel right posting this sooner as i havent had much dealings with chris and being the new kid on the forum didnt want to cause offence.

i only wish i could donate to the figure but sadly i have nothing to contribute other than praise and best wishes.

Andy
:peace

nudetn.jpg

That head above could be worked into a smile. More than a Mona Lisa, less than a broad one...

As for a true base, with sides like for a scene, that is more than I can do right now, but I am for one if you guys wanna go that route. I was thinking simpler varnished wooden base, with maybe some groundwork added, and a plaque, but if you have better ideas, and can make one, I have no objections. Guys? any comments?

Sounds really good Les! I talked with Derek USCM about the project, and he thought it was an outstanding idea! :D

I asked him about the facial expression, and he wholeheartedly said "The smile". He said Joy had told him just yesterday that so many people have told her that Chris's smile is what they remember most. (in addition to his kindness and generosity).

Perhaps to please everyone, two heads could be done? One for smiles and one for stern action?

I don't know if this fits into your work load, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

As for the base, whatever you guys want to do is fine by me! I'll work up some ideas, see what you guys think...but it's all good! The entire project looks geared to bring a nice smile to Joy's face.

:)

-Rex

Let me know which pieces you want me to acquire. I would love to help. I just need to know what to buy. I met Chris at Dragon Con, and he was really the nicest guy. Please let me know what I can do to be of some help.

Brad

Les, if you think the head I posted will work with a little hair fixing and a bit of a smile, I will get him off to you by the weekend.
Perhaps a "compromise" of sorts in terms of his uni will work best, adding a slight smile and a bit of grunginess? Kind of a half smile after a small bug hunt?
As for the base? How about a grated floor over the wood base and his info and USCM patch displayed on the side or towards the front of the base?

Les, if you think the head I posted will work with a little hair fixing and a bit of a smile, I will get him off to you by the weekend.
Perhaps a "compromise" of sorts in terms of his uni will work best, adding a slight smile and a bit of grunginess? Kind of a half smile after a small bug hunt?
As for the base? How about a grated floor over the wood base and his info and USCM patch displayed on the side or towards the front of the base?

That sounds like a good idea! Chris was not a fan of freshly issued gear! "You need to weather up that armor there..." :cool:

I really like that base! Very cool. A small facehugger on the ground would be kewel...

Say, I was wondering...how best to convey to Joy how the figure is to be posed on the dio base? Include a pic? Leave it up to her? Build a stand, peg, etc. into the base for the figure to stand up straight? :confused:

-Rex

I can definitely fade the clothing and give it small wear here and there, make it dirty in areas if he is to be "straight from a bug hunt"... whatever needs to be done.

As for pose, when it is assembled and finished we can always print out some pics and maybe make a card with all of the artist and contributor sigs on it. Would be a nice way to show we care and give her an idea of what the pose was when it was made and shots that were taken.

Last edited:
I had a brief discussion with Stendec via PM yesterday about the armour. If nobody objects, I'd like to volunteer my services for assembling and putting the base camouflage pattern on the armour kit that Rex offered earlier. I was thinking that I could also do some of the basic weathering, then DA-Josh could weather the entire figure as one in the final step, for total continuity.

I have quite a few years of experience painting military AFVs and figures, so camo patterns is no problem. I also have a small supply of Humbrol enamels and a good source here for more, and Stendec said he could send me anything else I might need. He also told me he has a tin of Brown Bess No.107 that he'll let me borrow for the project.

Aside from the paint I would basically just need the pieces of armour to be painted and some good reference pics to work from. I'd also need to know exactly what figure body will be used, so I can assemble all of the armour pieces to fit it correctly. I have EVA BDUs and spare Hot Toys, Dragon, BBi, and various other figure bodies on hand for fitting purposes.

So far I've only offered to donate a couple of things to the project. I'd like to do more if possible, and prepping the armour kit is something I can do. If this idea is acceptable to the rest of you, please let me know. :D :cool:

You get my vote Mudshark!

I see there's been some discussion about the display base and I personaly like the metal grill idea, perhaps mounted on a heavy foundation material for stability. We could use those fishtank filters some of the guys here use though they should be painted gun metal or something to look nicer.

I like the idea of a pic included, that's a good idea! A list of contributors is a must!! :D

Sooooon as we decide for sure for sure whose doing the armor, get me an addy and it's on it's way! :D :D

I've sent off a bunch of pics already, I can send them again if need be.

Fish tank filter? It sounds intriguing...got any pics of it in a display?

-Rex

That is a perfect idea Mudshark! I know I couldn't paint the armor myself, and I don't have any of the requisite colors... So that help is mucho appreciated. As for the total weathering, I will definitely bring my A game. I have lots of ideas, wanting to improve my technique there... make it worthy of Chris.

Mudshark, I would lean towards the Dragon body as that is what the base head is.
Les, do you want me to send the head or head and body, it doesn't matter to me.
DA, I'll get the accessories[shotgun/sheath, hasp & lock, knife, etc] off to you as soon as I can. I'll send the uni and patches too and you can "dirty" them up together.
As for the base...
If we go with the floor grating idea, that can be either plastic or metal depending on what grating can be found that best represents it. For posing and, to some degree, stability a rod or dowel could be drilled thru the base and into one leg. It would mean one foot is always going to be in one spot but the "pose" could be altered as seen fit. This would also help keep Chris from falling off the base at any time.

This is going great. I am so honored to be a part of this.

Ironman, SEND THE HEAD! I will do what I can with it asap.

I am for whatever body we need, but that needs to be decided so I can work the neck to fit whatever proper one we do. I say, go with the one, the smiling one. Unless we get a spare adapter (ie., HT body neck adapter B, like on Hicks/Hudson etc...) Just let me know the body.

As for a base, I was just thinking it might have the standard HT style neck and waist holder, but if anyone wants another means of holding him to it, let me know, as most styles of base holders can be adapted to a nice wooden base. AND, yes, the fish grate can be attached strategically to that, and weathered to look like a proper ALIENS environment floor (I can even add Alien slimey tendrils and donate a spare Facehugger to it) so that can work.
If anyone has the grating, send it to me. I can do the rest. I can make the base without the figure, and paint the head without the body or the rest. So, all I need is to go get the base and show you what I get.

The headsculpt, once received from Ironman, I can work on as I go, and post pics for comments and possibly cast and paint it after.

Just know, for now, I only want to make and paint the one for this project only for now. Just letting anyone know I am open to heads later. When all this is over, we can work out this stuff if need be. That is best solved later.

Anyway, as for the rest, you guys GO! This sounds great! Thanks so much guys. I am just stunned at the outpouring for this.
So, anyone wanna make a temp list of where we stand? I am not sure what all is correct. :D

COPY THIS AREA-
I know this much (copy and add your other contributions to this list please):

Les- headsculpt adaptation and paintup (and neck prep), plus wood base and eventual buildup and paintup. possibly plaque or other nameplate gathering?

DA Josh- BDU paintup as well as overall project dirtyin' once completed.

Ironman- provide head and...(add)

Hollis DZC- Armor (and)

Mudshark- all Armor prep and paintup as well as (add)

Stendec- (add your contribution)

Anyone else that needs to be listed...

Any financial assistance from:
(add your names here and what you can help with)

Any one else (project cheerleaders and idea providers accepted! :D )
List here

Anything we haven't thought of

COPY ENDS-

Now, take the above and copy and add your contributions, and I will redo the list on Post #1 with them as it grows.

Thanks guys. This is great.

Les, I'm happy to fund the base. I dealt with Chris over the last 3 months and was bowled over with his passion and friendliness so would like to help/contribute as long as people don't mind. I'm over in the uk so happy to paypal to you or whoever is preparing.

I know people have talked about doing more customs of Chris for their collection but there will only be one Chris for me, so lets make this custom a real unique master piece.

Back