The Chris Chulamanis Memorial Custom USCM Figure Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, you guys are already rollin' on this project. Sorry I couldn't stick around yesterday/last night. As it turned out I wasn't able to get much sleep anyway, thinking about this long after I went to bed.

It occurred to me that to do this properly we're going to need an accurate description and/or photos of the uniform and gear Chris wore, especially any personalized touches he may have added to it. That will make it uniquely his and should be included with the figure, if at all possible. Maybe at some point we could get some much needed help from his friends on the other boards in that regard.

I have an M41-A Pulse Rifle kit I got from Chris last year that I can donate. I already started prepping it, but it's still unassembled and unpainted. I have some other commitments that demand my attention at the moment, but I don't think it would take me very long to get it built and painted if it can wait a few weeks.

I also have an as yet unbuilt EVA M10 Helmet kit, if that would be a better choice than the HT model. I know Stendec has already offered one.

I think pics from the other site he was a part of will be a big part of answering the uniform accuracy questions. As for helmets, I'll let the Aliens pros answer which they think will work best. Will both helmet versions work with any headsculpt?

You raised a great point there Mudshark. From the photos I have seen of Chris in armor, it does look like he added alot of personal motiffs and touches to his gear so its important we nail those. The guys on the AL Forum ca help wihty pics and descriptions for us Im sure. I am a member there so I'l mention this to them.

Regarding the helmet Mudshark, if you can provide a EVA helmet kit that would be fantastic, it would be more apt for this project. I have a swatch of his bdu fabric that can be made into a helmet cover by someone, Chris always had a helmet cover on his costume. Big props for donating one of his pulse rifle kits too Mudshark, that will be a really nice addition to the figure.

Lets keep the momentum going on this guys :rock

This is going great. I will finalize the list when you guys are sure about who's providing what. I like the use of Chris' helmet and all. And yeah, get his specific uniform details and add pics here if possible. I assume any BDUs can go straight to DA for dirtying, and I would think you have time to get that gun done Mudshark. Go for it! Anyone dissagree?
This is no rush job. We need to do it right.

Thanks for the enthusiasm guys. And Jamal, you and others can help me pay for the base and engraving or possible dogtag??? for the base. DA Josh suggested getting the nameplate as a USCM style dogtag, if we can get details on them from these reenactor guys. That might make a cool label.

Anyway, just cheerleading this is helping it. Chime in anyone with an idea. All are welcome.

Absolutely. This is not a rush job, its a "do it right" job. DA, I'll try and send the uni out later in the week, ok?
In the meantime I'll start gathering all the other stuff I have.
No, wait, I'll hold off on the ui until we see what patches are required. They should all be on the uni prior to weathering it, shouldn't they?

Absolutely. This is not a rush job, its a "do it right" job. DA, I'll try and send the uni out later in the week, ok?
In the meantime I'll start gathering all the other stuff I have.
No, wait, I'll hold off on the ui until we see what patches are required. They should all be on the uni prior to weathering it, shouldn't they?

I would think that is the better way. Plus, we don't know his personalized accents either. I wonder if his helmet cover sported images and stuff, ala Hudson's helm. Looks like we need a good info response from those AL guys.

Les, and everyone else involved is this going to be a "one-shot" figure or a single figure of Chris as a USCM for a memorial of him? I wasn't sure if it was planned to make where each of us interested could buy one, or if it was just going to be the ONE figure. Let me know. Thanks!

Wow. I've been mostly away from the board for the last week or so and I'm floored that this happened. I had just been in communication with Chris in the last month or so, he was such a nice guy.

I'll have to check and see what parts I may have to offer (I know I have EVA's shotgun/holster, but I think you guys have that covered), but I'm certainly up for putting money towards the base/plaque or anything else that needs to be added to the project. Are there any parts that stick out as being needed still?

Also, this is the sort of thing that makes it an honor and a privelege to be a part of the community here. We've got something special going, guys.

Just wanted to chime in here on a couple of things. If/when we get some good reference pics up here, we should be able to establish some continuity with the various parts of uniform and gear regarding weathering, etc., so it will all look right, not pieced together (as it will be). I agree it would be best to wait till the costume is fully assembled, so all the weathering can be done at the same time by Josh. I think the weapons and other pieces of hardware could be handled separately, though.

Metaphorge raised a good question, there's one thing we're probably going to need, a suit of armour... chest, groin and leg. Does anyone have a set of armour (or individual pieces) they could spare? I guess Hot Toys would be the easiest to acquire, but an EVA-made set would be even better.

This brings up another question that may have occurred to some of you... what's going to happen to EVA Models without Chris? I know it's too soon to be thinking about that now, but it may be something to consider in terms of acquiring anything we can't already supply ourselves. Does anyone have any thoughts (or news) in that regard?

We do have an option of having him dressed in only his BDU, so all of his service patches will be visible. With armour on some of them are going to be hidden. I like the idea of having him in full gear, just like in the photo, but there are other options... Just thought I'd mention it.

Sourcing armor is the biggest challenge with this project. A EVA set would be the nicest option but they are very scarce Id imagine and even HT loose armor is becoming difficult to find.

I was thinking, and this is just an idea, that a few of us could throw in a few bucks each ($10 ??) into buying a set of armor, EVA if possible but its unlikely so maybe a HT set off ebay. In my opinion we really do need the body armor to make this figure as awesome as it can possibly be.

The AL Forum is back online now so there are lots of pics available there now of Chris and the guys in costume.

Stendec contacted me about this thread. I had been toying with this idea as well.

Details-

Chris is about 5'8".
His helmet has a patch on it, I'll get a pic of it. A bullet hole "dent" is on the right front side. (as you look at him head on)

I have a complete EVA USCM kit I will donate to this project.
I have buckles for it too. I don't remember off hand if Chris had od webbing on the buckles. I believe they were black though.

He just made for DCon7 a nice leather Hicks shotgun holster. It would be nice if it could be made in scale leather as well. If I can get a scale pattern, I have a leather seamstress that could do it. Or, use the HT one.

He also carried a welder.

Who is going to assemble and paint in Chris's pattern the armor? PM me the addy to send the kit to.

I'll provide as many reference pics as I can.

I've known Chris a long time, and am proud to have served with him in the Colonial Marines.

The Colonial Marines- DCon07
DconColonialMarinesgathering.jpg

DConColonialMarinebuds.jpg

-Rex Adams
Hollis DZC -The Aliens Legacy

is there anybody else that produces custom armour ? outside of hot toys I had only came across this on Chris's website :-(

Welcome, Hollis! Having members of the Aliens Legacy forum and personal friends of Chris join us is crucial to the success of this project. Thanks so much for coming on board. And your offer of the EVA USCM kit is most welcome.

I had a look at the many photos posted on the AL board last night and I noticed a lot of the details on his armour and uniform. I saw pics of his helmet, with and without the cover on it, and noticed that ding you mentioned... looks like he also had a hole in his helmet cover over the ding... is that right?

There were also some good pics of his M41, which is something I personally would like to contribute to the project. I believe I can match the colors closely enough, but if there are any particular details, like things Chris may have added to personalize it, I'd really appreciate it if you'd send me a PM and let me know, at your convenience.

Glad you could make it here Hollis, welcome aboard :)

It's a very kind gesture to donate a complete Rifleman Kit to this project . .thanks man! Using one of Chris' own sets will make all the difference in my opinion.

Do you know if Chris used the screen-used Humbrol paints on his armor? If so I can try to get hold of all the paints here in the UK and ship them over to whoever is painting the kit. Some of the numbers might be discontinued now but I'l have a good look a round.

This is really going well. I think any stuff armor wise should be considered for who is gonna age and score them. Is that gonna be DA or even you Stendec? You can sue age CM armor! I have seen that! :D

I only have time for the head and base. GB, I will let all of you know about the base, when we know about the dogtag source. Not sure yet what to do until I know. We may still get a regular engraved plaque too.

Looking for a head, but not sure yet. Any news on that?

Great stuff so far. Let's settle the source stuff so we can finalize the list.
Thanks for all the input and offered parts guys. So far, so good!

Note: We need links and pics here if we can.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Chris's PR was painted Brown Bess- A color that I think is now only available in the UK and Canada.

His helmet hole "dent" does have a hole through the cover as well.

His armor was painted w/ the screen used Humbrol paints, that you can be assured of! :) :)

His helmet was painted in 05. He since then went to a helmet cover. DCon 06 he had a patch over it, I think it was one of the Pilot patches, as he had a dropship outfit as well, but I'm not positive. DCon 07 he removed the patch and went with some lettering that I'm not sure of. I've looked through all the pics I uploaded to my photo host site, not many, about 12 of 311 taken at DCon 07, I'll be going through those and seeing if I have a good shot of his helmet. Don't know for sure, but maybe. If not, I'll work on finding out what he wrote on it.

I'm personally looking for a PR and Helmet w/ cover for my own 1/6th project for Chris. The one w/ the helmet resting on the PR with a pair of boots. Any help on that would be much appreciated.

-Rex

Rex sent me some pix and I have begun the head search. I already have one in mind I think will work once Les puts his magic touch on it.
I also noticed that Chris uni looks pretty crisp and not all that weathered in most of the pix. Do we want to keep it that way? We would still need to customize the armor and helmet either way. He also wore shotgun shells strapped to his chest armor.
I'll try and post pix of the head as soon as I dig everything out.
More to come soon....

Yeah I noticed that Chris' BDUs were faded but not weathered down with any dirt, they looked quite clean and crisp. I will try to track down all the Humbrol numbers for the armor camoflague and I already have a tin of Bess Brown 170 for the pulse rifle.

Back