The Children of Húrin out today!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darth Rage said:
I hate to break the news to you but the deluxe edition has been delayed to to a production issue per the publishing rep from Haughton Mifflin. I have no info as to when it is due.

tomandshell said:
Thanks for the update! At least now I don't have to be made at Amazon--if there is an actual delay with the publisher then it's not their fault.

So that explains why it hasn't even begun processing yet. I pre-order the deluxe version too and was wondering what was going on with the shipping estimate of 4-6 weeks.

Yeah, Amazon usually overestimates the shipping time. My shipping estimate on my invoice says May 5th, which isn't too far off. I've got another book on the same order which isn't released until Tuesday (the new Making of Star Wars book), so hopefully in the next two I'll have both of them.

I just got my Deluxe Children of Hurin today, ordered it through amazon.ca :D

thanks pixle.

now my final question: which version of these books(LOTR, The Hobbit, etc) is the best...cosmetically. the deluxe or the 50th ann. deluxe or the Collector's addition or another version? which ones fit together if they were on the shelf?

Last edited:
Vader AL said:
thanks pixle.

now my final question: which version of these books(LOTR, The Hobbit, etc) is the best...cosmetically. the deluxe or the 50th ann. deluxe or another version? which ones fit together if they were on the shelf?

For my money, I would say the 50th anni set is the best. The maps and the illustrations make it the best to me.

pixletwin said:
For my money, I would say the 50th anni set is the best. The maps and the illustrations make it the best to me.

Agreed, though that wouldn't be my working copy. I would get the boxed Alan Lee set for reading.

I have something like eight or nine copies of LotR, and the 50th Anniversary is possibly my favorite. Very nicely done and classy.

LOTR50.gif

A runner up would be the seven volume Millenium Edition, which came with an audio CD of Tolkien himself reading excerpts from the book.

lotrmill2.jpg

But you should also have a copy of the Alan Lee illustrated version as well.

Just for reading, I like the one volume smaller hardcover copy that came with the bookends set.

But then again, the old red hardcover was my first nice version after living off cheap paperbacks for a few years, and I still like it as well.

But I think the nicest version you can get right now would be the 50th Anniversary slipcased hardcover.

thanks fellas. regarding The Hobbit, i think i'm going to go with the "collector's" edition because i like the green vs gold of the 50th ann. version. i don't think it has as many illustrations but as far as the look i like it better. sounds like the 50th ann. version of LOTR is the way to go for that one. i think for COH i'll get the regular version to read now and pick up the fancier deluxe/leather version for it when it comes out....whenever that is. thanks for all the help!

As for whether it's necessary to read anything prior to CoH... NO.

The book was deliberately designed and edited in such a way as to enable anyone off the street to read it. You don't even have to have read LOTR or The Hobbit. Yes, you need to have some general idea of the setting, but that's covered in the Introduction.

(Just another way the Estate made sure the movie fans pick the book up.)

And as for The Wanderings of Húrin... well, that's the unfinished sequel to this book, and it really doesn't belong here. Besides, all that was there to publish of it has already been published in The War of the Jewels.

tomandshell said:
This is killing me...

No doubt. Why was the deluxe version of the book delayed here, yet not anywhere else? Argh.

It better end up looking just like the deluxe version they're getting everywhere else.

As far as which version of The Lord of the Rings to own, I actually like the UK 50th anniversary edition a bit better than the US version. The UK one matches the deluxe Children of Hurin quite well and can be seen here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...e=UTF8&n=266239&s=books&qid=1177048934&sr=1-2

In the US they just released a 50th Anniversary one-volume edition in both paperback and hardcover which is quite nice as well. It's not as large as the black slipcased one and it has a brand new extensive index. It can be seen here:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/...77755?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

I saw it at Barnes and Noble a few weeks back and it's really quite nice for the price. Much more of a reading copy than a collector's item, but the only bad thing is no slipcase, just a dustjacket.

I currently own an old paperback set and the india paper (bible paper) version, but I'm not sure that I dare sit and read it too often as the paper is quite delicate.

Last edited:
Ultimate Weapon said:
...In the US they just released a 50th Anniversary one-volume edition in both paperback and hardcover which is quite nice as well. It's not as large as the black slipcased one and it has a brand new extensive index. It can be seen here:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0618645616/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-1644925-5477755?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

I saw it at Barnes and Noble a few weeks back and it's really quite nice for the price. Much more of a reading copy than a collector's item, but the only bad thing is no slipcase, just a dustjacket...

That is a less expensive version of the 50th Anniversary Edition. This is the real one and is slipcased and very, very nice...

https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-50th-Anniversary/dp/0618517650/ref=br_lf_m_1000072771_1_3_ttl/104-4059929-5845541?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=books&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0NF22BAN7HNXK2GDH1KH&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=283543801&pf_rd_i=1000072771

0618517650.01-A1L7PF5CNT23PC._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS500_.jpg

lcummins said:

Yeah, I have seen the original 50th Anniversary copy from your post. That's the one that I was comparing the recently released less expensive 50th Anniversary copy to. I should have written that a little more clearly too avoid the miscommunication. :eek:

For some I'm not a huge fan of the Anniversary edition shown in your post. I'm not sure what it is about it. The blackish/gray leather of the cover and slipcase gives it a nice presentation, but I'm not a fan of the gold gilt on the page edges. I think I prefer something slightly more understated, which I think the UK version achieves. But, aside from my comments it is a very impressive copy of the book and I would definitely recommend it to anyone seeking one centerpiece for their Tolkien library.

Ultimate Weapon said:
Why was the deluxe version of the book delayed here, yet not anywhere else? Argh.

It better end up looking just like the deluxe version they're getting everywhere else.

The pictures on the US and UK Amazon sites make me wonder, too:

Amazon.com:

0618904417.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V43112933_AA240_.jpg

Amazon.co.uk:

0007252234.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V22508475_AA240_.jpg

:confused:

Has anyone gotten one in the UK yet? Does the slipcase look like the one on Amazon.co.uk?

Back