The Children of Húrin out today!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But then, his illustrations for CoH are very much on the impressionist side -- he doesn't even depict Glaurung fully at any point. He's both following the text there, and enjoying the liberty to create atmosphere instead of the hard detail, as he did on the films.

Use of a term like "liberty" in duscussing what an illustrator does with Tolkien illustrations is an oxymoron. Ted Nasmith has said that the Estate was very much involved in what he could and could not depict in his SILMARALLION illustrations. One of the things they did not want depicted was what CT refers to as "monsters". The Estate prefers landscapes and less defined illustrations.

Perhaps this explains the change in cover from Glaurung to a single figure on an epic landscape. I greatly preferred the dragon.

I was wondering if anyone picked up the deluxe edition. Is it worth paying an extra $30 or so?

Vince said:
I didn't exactly mean that.
I don't want to know what the White Council exactly is, although it's nice to know, thanks for the info. Something you read in Silmarillion ? I'm still busy on that one ...

But the other poster mentioned The White Council as it was some sort of book.
It was mentioned next to The Hobbit en the new book ...

Sorry about that, I thought you asked about what it was, my bad. Must have read the post wrong. Actually, the White Council is mentioned in the The Fellowship of the Ring and The Hobbit (but not directly, gandalf just talks about it). Gandalf was off doing stuff for the White Council while Bilbo was on his adventure during The Hobit. But yea, you need to finish the Silmarillion, I think it's better than the three LoTR books, IMO.

It is now #1 in the top book seller chart on Amazon.co.uk and #2 on Amazon.com.

The Harper Collins deluxe edition costs almost 4 times more than the regular hardcover edition. But as a book collector I would be buying the deluxe edition to match the other deluxe editions that I have, ouch... feeling the pinch there. If not for the fact that both Harper Collins and Houghton Mifflin have almost the same design, I would have bought both just like I bought the LOTR 50th anniversary deluxe editions from each publisher.

Still... I would like to see how the front of the HC edition looks like. It is not shown on Amazon.co.uk. So if anyone of you here had ordered it, could you post pictures of it when you receive it? Thanks!

Batty said:
I was wondering if anyone picked up the deluxe edition. Is it worth paying an extra $30 or so?

I ordered the deluxe edition from Amazon a few months ago. It has not shipped. The main product page says it will be available to ship in 4 to 6 weeks. I am a little frustrated.

Has anybody received the deluxe version from Amazon?

UPDATE: I just got a response from Amazon about my order.

I apologize for any misunderstanding about the delivery estimate for
your order. "The Children of Hurin: Deluxe Edition" has not yet
shipped because it got released with an availability "Usually ships
in 4 to 6 weeks".

Please note, if an item is listed as "Usually ships in 4 to 6
weeks", that means it usually takes up to that long to package the
item and prepare it for shipment. Occasionally, it can take
longer. The delivery time is not the same as the availability
estimate.

:emperor

tomandshell said:
UPDATE: I just got a response from Amazon about my order.

:emperor

WTF!!! How can it take 4 to 6 weeks to package and prepare for shipment???

And I'm still waiting for both my regular and deluxe versions to ship from Amazon! Usually, they ship so that items like this arrive on the release date, or just shortly after.

My experience has been that amazon overestimates shipping times. I hope that proves true for you too Tom.

tomandshell said:
I ordered the deluxe edition from Amazon a few months ago. It has not shipped. The main product page says it will be available to ship in 4 to 6 weeks. I am a little frustrated.

Has anybody received the deluxe version from Amazon?

I hate to break the news to you but the deluxe edition has been delayed to to a production issue per the publishing rep from Haughton Mifflin. I have no info as to when it is due.

Darth Rage said:
I hate to break the news to you but the deluxe edition has been delayed to to a production issue per the publishing rep from Haughton Mifflin. I have no info as to when it is due.

Thanks for the update! At least now I don't have to be made at Amazon--if there is an actual delay with the publisher then it's not their fault.

tomandshell said:
Thanks for the update! At least now I don't have to be made at Amazon--if there is an actual delay with the publisher then it's not their fault.

You can still be mad at them... if this is the case, why didn't Amazon just tell you that?

...and since I ordered both versions on the same order and picked the super-saver shipping, does that mean I will have to wait on the regular one as well?

lcummins said:
You can still be mad at them... if this is the case, why didn't Amazon just tell you that?

...and since I ordered both versions on the same order and picked the super-saver shipping, does that mean I will have to wait on the regular one as well?

Yes Tom... Savour that anger... It will give you focus... Make you powerful. :emperor

I pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition from Amazon.co.uk sometime last year, when due to a glitch it was listed at 0.80 pounds. And they honored that price, and shipped it this Sunday! :D

(Okay, shipping to Croatia was something like seven pounds. But still.)

Beren -- There is indeed much that is new here, mostly stemming from CT's close reading of all the manuscripts. New sentences, new passages, new story points, even -- and a slightly different organization of the story structure. I'm completely satisfied with virtually every single decision CT made, except two (the resolution of the story of Nellas, which is buried within a paragraph, and the lack of follow-through on a directional change CT made in the scene of the approach to Cabed-en-Aras). I translated both parts in such a way as to minimize the damage, i.e. make the first point read poignantly enough, and the second one vague enough (it involves seeing some smoke against the last light in the west, although the characters are looking at it against the southeastern sky, after the CT-introduced change as described in Appendix 2) while staying faithful to the original text. It required much creative thinking, but I'm happy with the results. Also, there's no trace of The Wanderings of Húrin in the book, for good or bad.

Gideon -- Well, "liberty" is a wide-ranging epithet. And I'm sure Lee had to have his work vetted by the Estate, and that the lack of particulars in the final art isn't necessarily just his own creative choice. But it's still something that Lee does so well that I do feel he enjoyed it; and in works like the color plate of Glaurung pouring forth fire and steam (untitled) he achieves a mastery of atmosphere and color that seems completely new in his opus. So I suppose some part of him did indeed soar... BTW, there's no trace of the original cover art of Glaurung exiting Nargothrond in the final book.

BTW, there's no trace of the original cover art of Glaurung exiting Nargothrond in the final book.

now there is an untold story. I wonder why? Its much better than half of the stuff that did make it. I fear and suspect it violated the prohibition on showing too much of "the monsters."

Well, if Harper Collins can get the deluxe version out in the UK on the original street date, then why is Houghton Mifflin making US readers wait until May 16th?

:emperor :emperor :emperor

Tom, it's because they have Gentle Giant supervise their production these days. :monkey3

Gideon -- that might be the reason. I'm overjoyed that we got a cover redesign, as the new one is immeasurably more elegant, though.

Seretur said:
Tom, it's because they have Gentle Giant supervise their production these days. :monkey3

Gideon -- that might be the reason. I'm overjoyed that we got a cover redesign, as the new one is immeasurably more elegant, though.

So the final copy of the US Deluxe version is not the one shown in amazon.com now?

Seretur said:
Beren -- There is indeed much that is new here, mostly stemming from CT's close reading of all the manuscripts. New sentences, new passages, new story points, even -- and a slightly different organization of the story structure. I'm completely satisfied with virtually every single decision CT made, except two (the resolution of the story of Nellas, which is buried within a paragraph, and the lack of follow-through on a directional change CT made in the scene of the approach to Cabed-en-Aras). I translated both parts in such a way as to minimize the damage, i.e. make the first point read poignantly enough, and the second one vague enough (it involves seeing some smoke against the last light in the west, although the characters are looking at it against the southeastern sky, after the CT-introduced change as described in Appendix 2) while staying faithful to the original text. It required much creative thinking, but I'm happy with the results. Also, there's no trace of The Wanderings of Húrin in the book, for good or bad.

What?! No Wanderings of Hurin?? That might have been what I was looking forward to the most! I was really interested in that story in HoME and then it just stops. Here I was hoping to find out more about Hurin and the effects of his curse. Ugghhh....

Beren

I ordered the regular version of the book from Amazon and mine just arrived today. Looking forward to reading it though now I'm wondering if I'm going to be completely lost since a) I never read the HoME and b) I could never finish the Simillarian...well I guess I will find out soon enough.

Back