The Book of Eli

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel bad for the athiests that can't enjoy this movie, but I understand where they're coming from.

I don't believe in predestination so I hated the movie Signs. That whole movie hinges on that belief and it just spoiled it for me.

So I can see how if one didn't believe in God and sees faith as a weakness that it would be hard to see much good in Book of Eli.

I, for one, loved it. If one has an open mind they might see that this movie drew a strong contrast between religion and true faith. Religion is what destroyed the world. Religion is a big part of what is destroying our world. Throughout history religion has been used as a "weapon" to control the masses as was embodied in the Carnegie character.

So in my opinion there was zero "religious BS" in this movie, in fact it spoke out against religious BS.

Faith, on the other hand, was put in a good light which I think was very courageous in the current world environment. It seems that anything mainstream that touches on faith has to do it with a sense of irony unless it's fantasy.

The Book of Eli is a real gem that touched me on a very deep level.

Oh it's not athisim. I just dont like my beheadings and killings with Jesus and messages. :D

You cant have super stylized Violence, and then get super preachy to me. I just wont have that. Just like the Matrix (Sig reminded me). They just preached...and preached...and had a huge car chase...and preached..and preached.....

I liked it cause I thought it was a good movie. I thought the fact some violence was being done in the name of god was true to how some have used it in the past.

Oh it's not athisim. I just dont like my beheadings and killings with Jesus and messages. :D

You cant have super stylized Violence, and then get super preachy to me. I just wont have that. Just like the Matrix (Sig reminded me). They just preached...and preached...and had a huge car chase...and preached..and preached.....

The brutality of the violence is the main reason I gave this less than 10/10. However, the Bible combines violence with 'preaching'. Eli is a prophet, but he reminds me of the Kings and even more so the Judges of the Hebrew Scriptures.

Think of David killing Goliath. He slings a rock at his head and then cuts his head off with Goliath's own sword. And once David was king he swept through The Promised Land slaying the Canaanite people. Or consider Samson one of the Judges, and all the Philistines that he killed. He slew 1,000 men with the jawbone of a donkey. And later in his life he literally brought down the roof on 3,000 Philistines in the House of Dagon killing them all (and himself). Interestingly, Samson was blind at the time, as his eyes had been put out.

I, for one, loved it. If one has an open mind they might see that this movie drew a strong contrast between religion and true faith. Religion is what destroyed the world. Religion is a big part of what is destroying our world. Throughout history religion has been used as a "weapon" to control the masses as was embodied in the Carnegie character.

Faith, on the other hand, was put in a good light which I think was very courageous in the current world environment. It seems that anything mainstream that touches on faith has to do it with a sense of irony unless it's fantasy.

These are some good points Maglor. The first one is specifically why I love this movie so much. I can put the movie in anytime and enjoy watching it. The soundtrack is also incredible.

Yeah well, I dont like religion getting in the way of my post apocolypic adventures. I just dont. Same with the Matrix sequels. They brought too much philosphy and religion into the story, to a point where I was bored to tears until a cool action scene came on. :D

Whatever. Watch Mad Max or Waterworld then.

For me, it was nice to see something fresh.

I liked it cause I thought it was a good movie. I thought the fact some violence was being done in the name of god was true to how some have used it in the past.

The past? How about the present?

Yeah well, I dont like religion getting in the way of my post apocolypic adventures. I just dont. Same with the Matrix sequels. They brought too much philosphy and religion into the story, to a point where I was bored to tears until a cool action scene came on. :D

Some sort of religious context is going to be present in almost all post apocalyptic adventures because they serve as a form of hope and faith.

If that's not your cup of tea, might I suggest Buckaroo Banzai and Tank Girl so you can get your fill of post apocalyptic adventure.:lol

So in my opinion there was zero "religious BS" in this movie, in fact it spoke out against religious BS.

:goodpost: we have similar feelings on this Mag.

I can put the movie in anytime and enjoy watching it. The soundtrack is also incredible.

:exactly:

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/IJL9M5uAJSc?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/IJL9M5uAJSc?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

:rock

Back