The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh. Never heard of her. But, I don't mind this one. Selina Kyle has been of black or racially vague before. Adam West's show had a black Catwoman. Wasn't Catwoman in Year One also black (if not, she was at least racially vague)? Halle Berry was terrible ... but she's not a white woman.

Don't mess with iconic characters -- Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Joker, James Bond, etc. Side characters and stuff are more flexible.

SnakeDoc

I don't mind a black Catwoman at all, but it's a bit annoying that every time they want diversity, they just go straight to black. Gordon and Barbara Gordon are played by black actors in the film, so how about someone of a different ethnic group to play Catwoman? They do know that Hispanics are the second largest group in the US and Spanish the second most spoken language in the world, right? That's why I wanted Anna de Armas, because not only does she look right for the character, she still brings diversity to the movie. Also, Catwoman is half Cuban in the comics, so de Armas being a Cuban actress was just perfect, imo. Also, she was one of the best part of Blade Runner which is a WB film. Instead, they chose an actress that's been in a bunch of big movies but has never made much of an impression. She's forgettable. Maybe that's why they hired her, so that she doesn't overshadow the bland Robert Pattison. Or perhaps, the Catwoman role is small. Anyway, underwhelming choice and so far the film does not interest me at all.

Oh yeah, at this time I feel like there were better choices. Even Grace said it.

I watched the Blade Trilogy this week. Snipes pretty much informs what that character is supposed to be for me so it might be hard to accept Mahershala Ali.

Snipes in Blade and Demolition Man is such a freaking bad ass that dude was insanely talented in his prime.

While i?m open for Ali to give it a try Snipes will always be what that character is judged upon.

Would be like another actor playing Arnold?s Terminator in a T1-T2 remake lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind a black Catwoman at all, but it's a bit annoying that every time they want diversity, they just go straight to black. Gordon and Barbara Gordon are played by black actors in the film, so how about someone of a different ethnic group to play Catwoman? They do know that Hispanics are the second largest group in the US and Spanish the second most spoken language in the world, right? That's why I wanted Anna de Armas, because not only does she look right for the character, she still brings diversity to the movie. Also, Catwoman is half Cuban in the comics, so de Armas being a Cuban actress was just perfect, imo. Also, she was one of the best part of Blade Runner which is a WB film. Instead, they chose an actress that's been in a bunch of big movies but has never made much of an impression. She's forgettable. Maybe that's why they hired her, so that she doesn't overshadow the bland Robert Pattison. Or perhaps, the Catwoman role is small. Anyway, underwhelming choice and so far the film does not interest me at all.

de Armas in a Julie Newmar catsuit with mask and ears would be insane. :drool

Maybe WB decided she is tainted after appearing in a Rian Johnson flick, lol.

Bang-on. Well, I'm curious to see what Pattinson will be like but otherwise I agree.

Snipes in Blade and Demolition Man is such a freaking bad ass that dude was insanely talented in his prime.

While i?m open for Ali to give it a try Snipes will always be what that character is judged upon.

Would be like another actor playing Arnold?s Terminator in a T1-T2 remake lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. White Men Can't Jump was another favourite of mine.

Blade can age according to the Snipes movie so that could technically account for him looking older now if they had kept him on but I guess his physical capabilities will have diminished with his age. Still, that makes it more strange that they didn't get someone younger than Mahershala Ali to play Blade now.

I think tyranus is another snikt account lmao. Anyway I don?t care about side characters being black or another color but just leave the main ones alone. It?s like they want to just get twitter points for making a character another race without knowing the people that complain about this **** don?t even like these movies or read comics. Even black people are getting fed up with the race change. It?s silly and tired and feels like creativity is gone

SNIKT? Never heard of him. I was recruited by a man called Tyranus7.

As for CW being a side character I disagree. She's as big a deal as any Gotham character not named Batman or Joker.

I like taking the characters in different directions and trying new types of casting.

I'm not sure I'd go as far as making Penguin a woman, but I think mixing it up is great. Why couldn't Penguin be Asian? That could be great.

Burton's world is all his own for sure. I think he struck the right tone mostly within his distinct parameters. Dark but not too dark, not too real, very stylized. I think Schumacher went in a direction that I personally feel is totally wrong for a character like Batman. Camp and dark is impossible.

Nolan's world just needed a little more fantasy elements, like a darker, more oppressive city and not just 'Chicago'. His matter-of-fact directorial style also didn't help add to the 'style' of Batman. There should be a lot more use of shadows and more thrilling and dramatic shots.

That's yet another reason why I prefer BB to TDK and TDKR. The wacky ending that a lot of people think went off the rails brought just the right amount of weird/stylized Gotham into that world for me.

I've never been a big fan of The Penguin. Somehow he became one of the most prominent Batman villains, maybe because of the 60's show, but I just never saw the appeal of the character. I like the Returns version precisely because they made him interesting as a monster who comes from a wealthy family. My favorite Penguin has to be the one from the Gotham show. He was a great villain, but that was a young version of the character.

I'd love to see the Riddler make a mainstream comeback. He used to be one of Batman's top villains, but in the last 20 years he's been kind of low key. He's had two great stories in recent years in the comics. Zero Year, in which a young Batman goes up against him as Riddler shuts down the whole city and Batman goes full Mad Max style.

79JDZqy.jpg

And the War of Jokes and Riddles. Another great book

s6O2CxC.jpg

They have kind of destroyed the functionality of the Riddler over time... his coloring was usurped by Poison Ivy... and his cleverness has been usurped by the Joker.

If you mixed Joker and Poison Ivy, you get Riddler.

Riddler is ripe for a total reinvention... since to me he never had a great look. The question-mark suit just doesn't work anymore.

I like Penguin, but he was never anything more to me than a distinctive looking crime boss. Burton's version is cool looking but way too fantastical. It's hard to do much with the character as is other than what they did with him on Gotham.

That said, I wonder how a really small Penguin would be -- a totally ruthless little person played by Peter Dinklage.

Back