The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waste of screen time just to drive Wor-Gar nuts about the length lol

triggered gif.gif

Well, saw this in a theater yesterday… and it has been crawling in my mind ever since.

Great visuals! Gotham… the Batmobile intro… I LOVED that Batman fight in the dark with only the gun flashes showing pieces of the combat! There were tons of things like that throughout the movie.

I’ll get to my OVERALL opinion so you don’t have to read the minutia below…

REALLY LIKED IT. I did not love it. I think in some ways it takes a bit of getting used to. It’s slower. It’s moodier. There’s not a lot of action. And… my ultimate fear… its way too long. But I can say I loved this alot more than it disappointed me.

As expected, I “enjoyed” this more than BB and TDKR. It now resides among my Top 3 Batman movies at the moment -- not in order: TDK, ’89 and The Batman. And ’89 is only there because of nostalgia and I still think the batsuit looks cool; but it really doesn’t compare to the other, harder-edged two.

OK, so details:

Loved Gotham.

Loved the Riddler. I actually found him scarier without his mask. Twisted little derp incel is scary as hell because he exists in our society. I kind of wish he got caught earlier and then escaped for a final showdown. I wanted more of him rather than cosplayers at the end.

Catwoman - sexy. I think I may like her better than Michelle, at least in my desire to… well, anyway…

Penguin. Disappointed Jye could get that name converted to Worguin before release, but whatever Jye. He was fine as a Mafioso… I think he might have been better served as Falcone and create a more interesting villain in Penguin. Incredible make-up anyway.

That said, Falcone was great -- dangerous, smarmy, yet smooth. You can see why he’s so feared.

Gordon. I love Jeffrey Wright but he felt like he was doing his usual thing. He was a good Gordon though, just nothing completely different.

Alfred. Meh. I don’t care for Serkis too much, so…

My biggest gripes are the length, of course, and the unnecessary final “act”. It felt tagged on. I thought it should end on Batman realizing the Riddler does not know he’s Bruce Wayne. Let the Riddler be tormented by that riddle. The whole “superplot” reveal, flooding Gotham, and the crazy Riddlerees assault didn’t work for me at all, and at that point a lot of good will started to outflow for me. Plus, a man in a cape still looks silly helping fireman as the sun rises. Maybe the flood should have happened earlier, at the midpoint of the story once Riddler’s caught, and in the turmoil that’s how Riddler escapes and Batman has to hunt him down before he does something else (a final, final twist). The Riddlerees could just be his gang protecting him in the finale.

Boy, what I wouldn’t give to take a crack at re-editing that movie. There’s a kick-ass monster at 2 hours 15 minutes in there.

Loved the Riddler. I actually found him scarier without his mask. Twisted little derp incel is scary as hell because he exists in our society. I kind of wish he got caught earlier and then escaped for a final showdown. I wanted more of him rather than cosplayers at the end.

The face he made when he was getting handcuffed with his head getting pressed on the diner countertop. He looked possessed and I was like "holy **** that face and those eyes!!"

So what’s up with the joker at the end? Like half of his face is burned? Are we sure that’s even the joker? Or just someone to throw us off?

The face he made when he was getting handcuffed with his head getting pressed on the diner countertop. He looked possessed and I was like "holy **** that face and those eyes!!"

Yeah, that was GREAT! Also when Batman contradicted his success and he stomped around NOOOOOOOOOOO...... Dano did great. At first, with all the heavy breathing, I wasn't sure.

So what’s up with the joker at the end? Like half of his face is burned? Are we sure that’s even the joker? Or just someone to throw us off?

I actually would have preferred that scene never appear... but it is kind of nice to have a modern telling of Batman with the Top 4 villains present in the movie.

Well, saw this in a theater yesterday… and it has been crawling in my mind ever since.

Great visuals! Gotham… the Batmobile intro… I LOVED that Batman fight in the dark with only the gun flashes showing pieces of the combat! There were tons of things like that throughout the movie.

I’ll get to my OVERALL opinion so you don’t have to read the minutia below…

REALLY LIKED IT. I did not love it. I think in some ways it takes a bit of getting used to. It’s slower. It’s moodier. There’s not a lot of action. And… my ultimate fear… its way too long. But I can say I loved this alot more than it disappointed me.

As expected, I “enjoyed” this more than BB and TDKR. It now resides among my Top 3 Batman movies at the moment -- not in order: TDK, ’89 and The Batman. And ’89 is only there because of nostalgia and I still think the batsuit looks cool; but it really doesn’t compare to the other, harder-edged two.

OK, so details:

Loved Gotham.

Catwoman - sexy. I think I may like her better than Michelle, at least in my desire to… well, anyway…

Penguin. Disappointed Jye could get that name converted to Worguin before release, but whatever Jye. He was fine as a Mafioso… I think he might have been better served as Falcone and create a more interesting villain in Penguin. Incredible make-up anyway.

That said, Falcone was great -- dangerous, smarmy, yet smooth. You can see why he’s so feared.

Gordon. I love Jeffrey Wright but he felt like he was doing his usual thing. He was a good Gordon though, just nothing completely different.

Alfred. Meh. I don’t care for Serkis too much, so…

My biggest gripes are the length, of course, and the unnecessary final “act”. It felt tagged on. I thought it should end on Batman realizing the Riddler does not know he’s Bruce Wayne. Let the Riddler be tormented by that riddle. The whole “superplot” reveal, flooding Gotham, and the crazy Riddlerees assault didn’t work for me at all, and at that point a lot of good will started to outflow for me. Plus, a man in a cape still looks silly helping fireman as the sun rises. Maybe the flood should have happened earlier, at the midpoint of the story once Riddler’s caught, and in the turmoil that’s how Riddler escapes and Batman has to hunt him down before he does something else (a final, final twist). The Riddlerees could just be his gang protecting him in the finale.

Boy, what I wouldn’t give to take a crack at re-editing that movie. There’s a kick-ass monster at 2 hours 15 minutes in there.
Holy crap dude I wish you never described that alternate ending that sounds freaking epic!!!!

:gah:

I’m warming up to Alfred in the sense that he trained Bruce how to fight so Alfred’s pun about his circus time was obviously not about the actual circus but the circus of special forces.

He couldn’t replace his father so Bruce was no longer ever going to be a socialite philanthropist doctor seeking office so instead he trained him to protect himself and then Bruce took on being vengeance.

I think that’s what they were trying with scarred up Alfred lol

I’m warming up to Alfred in the sense that he trained Bruce how to fight so Alfred’s pun about his circus time was obviously not about the actual circus but the circus of special forces.

He couldn’t replace his father so Bruce was no longer ever going to be a socialite philanthropist doctor seeking office so instead he trained him to protect himself and then Bruce took on being vengeance.

I think that’s what they were trying with scarred up Alfred lol

That's nice. I was in the bathroom. :lol

When Bruce returns to his cave using his bike and when Alfred was in the hospital.

I actually liked the Martha angle -- explains Bruce's crazy gene.

Something I didn't like was when the guy blew up inches from Batman unshaven chin and hurled the Bat across the room... but no chin skin burned. Huh????
Great scene sounded amazing in Dolby BUT yeah you are correct.

Is this a first…

DiFabio
Wor-Gar
Clown
JAWS
ironwez
batfan08

agree on a movie!

cough Khev cough

I know I missed a ton of other names

Someone ask Crows if he liked it lol

What was the name of that skinny Pakistani musician kid that loved TDKR and he had epic post battles with DiFabio….I wonder what he thinks lol

883c7e12-aaba-460c-9857-aece1f30b179-TBM-33717JO.jpg

The more I think on Dano, the more I really love his take. I mean, Batman is supposed to battle "the monsters" of our time -- in the 30/40's it was gangsters... today, Dano makes a perfect "modern monster".

It does that.

I LOVED that Batman fight in the dark with only the gun flashes showing pieces of the combat! There were tons of things like that throughout the movie.
Hell yeah to both.

I thought it should end on Batman realizing the Riddler does not know he’s Bruce Wayne. Let the Riddler be tormented by that riddle.
Would have been my preference but ...
Plus, a man in a cape still looks silly helping fireman as the sun rises.
This I can forgive more easily because it seemed very much a comic book beat along with him leading the crowd with the flare.

It *is* something I need to 'forgive' but I don't have a problem doing so.
Maybe the flood should have happened earlier, at the midpoint of the story once Riddler’s caught, and in the turmoil that’s how Riddler escapes and Batman has to hunt him down before he does something else (a final, final twist). The Riddlerees could just be his gang protecting him in the finale.
...but this...without that final showdown we wouldn't have got his explosive entrance through the ceiling. So sure, midpoint could work.

Maybe someone will. It still gets my 9 out of 10 regardless -- a redemption of sorts for all the salt and contempt I heap on Star Wars these days. 😁

Is this a first…

DiFabio
Wor-Gar
Clown
JAWS
ironwez
batfan08

agree on a movie!

cough Khev cough

I know I missed a ton of other names

Someone ask Crows if he liked it lol

What was the name of that skinny Pakistani musician kid that loved TDKR and he had epic post battles with DiFabio….I wonder what he thinks lol
Are you talking about intovoid? That guy was convinced tdkr was the best Batman movie of all time. And some other guy named woffard. And then there was another guy named solid snake who kept saying Nolan could do no wrong.

funny. Make a Batman film and suddenly people think your god or something

Back