The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think they'll use Joker heavily in the sequel or have him in the odd scene, like the above you described?
Depends on the reaction they get from it from general audiences.

I’m sure the test audience surveyed it as a negative (which is why it was cut) but the fact that they kept the second part at the end makes me think they want to go through with it in a sequel.

Personally, I’d prefer to see some characters in there that we’ve never seen before like the Ventriloquist and Mad Hatter, but I don’t think they can resist yet another rendition of the Joker. Hell, there’s a spot open for another District Attorney too . . .

Depends on the reaction they get from it from general audiences.

I’m sure the test audience surveyed it as a negative (which is why it was cut) but the fact that they kept the second part at the end makes me think they want to go through with it in a sequel.

Personally, I’d prefer to see some characters in there that we’ve never seen before like the Ventriloquist and Mad Hatter, but I don’t think they can resist yet another rendition of the Joker. Hell, there’s a spot open for another District Attorney too . . .
Apparently the director is interested in the Court of Owls

Really enjoyed this 8.5
Nice seeing something that just doesnt stick to the now tired and tested Marvel formula.
I will always love some Marvel films and what they accomplished with the Infinity Saga will probably never happen again. But now I'm going to throw some well-deserved shade at them:

MCU is a money-maker that has refined their formula into a bland, tasteless, easy-to-digest liquid diet.

The one thing that stands out for me is the homogenous meta-tone of their movies: the whole thing is one long, sly, winking nod: "Isn't this ridiculous? We're all too cool for superhero nonsense but we're just gonna go with it OMG it's so random LOL" -- all this punctuated by some canned melodrama and uplifting beats painted with buckets of pixels from their CG factories.

The Batman begins in media res and expects you to just believe, and follow these characters. There's no sense of irony or self-consciousness. You are here. Let's roll.

(You know what else did that? This weird little film back in 1977.)

No idea.

Originally it plays out like Silence of the Lambs. After the first killing and riddle with the mayor, Batman goes to Arkham to interrogate the Joker because calling out Batman directly fits his MO. The Joker isn’t named obviously but right off the bat you get the idea that the two have had history. Batman writes him off as a potential suspect and goes on his merrily way. Immediately it feels unnecessary. The only aspect I liked about it was it felt like “another day in the life” of Batman, like it’s a slice of what he pretty much does every single night. But we get a glimpse of this already with the thugs in the beginning of the movie.

Another thing I’m surprised they didn’t cut was all the BS between Falcone getting assassinated and Riddler at the diner/cafe. That was so frivolous having Batman go into the apartment, along with the GCPD, only to have a random lady call in that “oh yeah, I saw him go down the catwalk and sit down to buy coffee”. So much stuff could have been cut tighter.
See I took it that it was Riddler who called the police on himself to get caught out of his costume at the Diner so that he could have his face to face with Batman fulfilling his “see you in hell” set up.

Or it was just a random lady waste of screen time just to drive Wor-Gar nuts about the length lol

Really enjoyed this 8.5
Nice seeing something that just doesnt stick to the now tired and tested Marvel formula.
It feels weird speaking of a DC movie in a positive manner again.

I quite enjoyed ZSJL and to an extent MOS/BvS BUT all this new movie did was highlight just how hollow ZS Batman narrative was.

No idea.

Originally it plays out like Silence of the Lambs. After the first killing and riddle with the mayor, Batman goes to Arkham to interrogate the Joker because calling out Batman directly fits his MO. The Joker isn’t named obviously but right off the bat you get the idea that the two have had history. Batman writes him off as a potential suspect and goes on his merrily way. Immediately it feels unnecessary. The only aspect I liked about it was it felt like “another day in the life” of Batman, like it’s a slice of what he pretty much does every single night. But we get a glimpse of this already with the thugs in the beginning of the movie.

Another thing I’m surprised they didn’t cut was all the BS between Falcone getting assassinated and Riddler at the diner/cafe. That was so frivolous having Batman go into the apartment, along with the GCPD, only to have a random lady call in that “oh yeah, I saw him go down the catwalk and sit down to buy coffee”. So much stuff could have been cut tighter.
Here’s an interview with Reeve’s talking about why he included Joker but also cut his earlier scene out. I’m not defending his decision as I also feel it felt a little fan service-y and could of been cut. He goes on to say the reason he kept the second scene with Riddler was more about ending Riddler’s arc in the film, rather thanks just keeping the scene for the reaction/fans.

Here’s an interview with Reeve’s talking about why he included Joker but also cut his earlier scene out. I’m not defending his decision as I also feel it felt a little fan service-y and could of been cut. He goes on to say the reason he kept the second scene with Riddler was more about ending Riddler’s arc in the film, rather thanks just keeping the scene for the reaction/fans.

It’s all BS.

Studio mandate nothing to do with fulfilling any arcs.

Wow, that's a great explanation by him about the ending scene in Arkham.

If that is the case then, should have just kept the initial scene between Batman and the Joker. Honestly, I don't think the movie needed Barry Keoghan at all, but if you gotta put in one scene, might as well put in both. I don't get the inclusion personally, but hey, wasn't my movie.

I will say, they really didn't cut a lot out from the original test screenings. I can't get over the final run time. They cut maybe 6-7 minutes out, that's it. Crazy to me how long the theatrical cut is.

If that is the case then, should have just kept the initial scene between Batman and the Joker. Honestly, I don't think the movie needed Barry Keoghan at all, but if you gotta put in one scene, might as well put in both. I don't get the inclusion personally, but hey, wasn't my movie.

I will say, they really didn't cut a lot out from the original test screenings. I can't get over the final run time. They cut maybe 6-7 minutes out, that's it. Crazy to me how long the theatrical cut is.
Wait wut Reeves said test screening was 4 hours!

:horror :horror

4D9C82A2-A361-467E-A128-B04FE3E5AF8E.jpeg

Last edited:
My Batman is so damaged he doesn’t even think about sex.

Pattinson pulled that off here he actually never lead with the kiss it was Selina driving it BUT I wanted him even less interested than what they showed.

No time for even a one handed polish session.
the-boys-homelander.gif

It feels weird speaking of a DC movie in a positive manner again.

I quite enjoyed ZSJL and to an extent MOS/BvS BUT all this new movie did was highlight just how hollow ZS Batman narrative was.
It is funny though that people point out obvious issues with The Batman, but give it 9/10 or 10/10. BvS couldn't survive the Eisenberg Luthor/Doomsday LOTR troll/Batwing death toll/Martha damage. I thought the Martha thing was fine and connected them together, but wow, it was a trigger for many.

You know what would’ve been a great character building moment and a huge missed opportunity for a year 2 Batman was when he was fleeing the cops when he shot his hook it should’ve missed the first time forcing him to do it a second time.

Another one would be they should’ve shown Alfred pin Bruce up against the wall lol

It is a good explanation, and I agree. Leave both scenes in or take both scenes out. I’m curious to see the earlier scene like he says we will. If it feels out of place or tacked on I understand why he’d cut it.

Curious that they left the Joker casting somewhat “open” and that’s if they use him at all in this series. Doesn’t have to be BK but I feel like Reeves will probably give him another opportunity. He’s a bit on the young looking side for me, but I must admit he has the face for the role.

It is a good explanation, and I agree. Leave both scenes in or take both scenes out. I’m curious to see the earlier scene like he says we will. If it feels out of place or tacked on I understand why he’d cut it.

Curious that they left the Joker casting somewhat “open” and that’s if they use him at all in this series. Doesn’t have to be BK but I feel like Reeves will probably give him another opportunity. He’s a bit on the young looking side for me, but I must admit he has the face for the role.
Huge let down not going with Phoenix Joker for this.

Huge let down not going with Phoenix Joker for this.
Hmmm, maybe. But Phoenix’s Joker and the world Todd Phillips and team created is a lot different than this one. The tone is very similar, I agree. But I don’t think it would work and would throw fans off.

First, the difference in time. Joker is set in the early 80’s or so. And Bruce was around 10 years old by my guess in Joker. That means Pattinson’s Batman would almost be 50 years old in this movie.

Second, the way the Wayne’s are killed and the reason behind it being completely different. The Wayne legacy is a massive part of the script here and really sells the other plot points. Especially Falcone’s.

Third, the casting. 2 different Alfred’s, a different Thomas Wayne etc.

It just wouldn’t add up. I’m glad they didn’t do it, and I’m glad WB had the balls to be okay with so many different universe and interpretations of these characters.

Hmmm, maybe. But Phoenix’s Joker and the world Todd Phillips and team created is a lot different than this one. The tone is very similar, I agree. But I don’t think it would work and would throw fans off.

First, the difference in time. Joker is set in the early 80’s or so. And Bruce was around 10 years old by my guess in Joker. That means Pattinson’s Batman would almost be 50 years old in this movie.

Second, the way the Wayne’s are killed and the reason behind it being completely different. The Wayne legacy is a massive part of the script here and really sells the other plot points. Especially Falcone’s.

Third, the casting. 2 different Alfred’s, a different Thomas Wayne etc.

It just wouldn’t add up. I’m glad they didn’t do it, and I’m glad WB had the balls to be okay with so many different universe and interpretations of these characters.
Oh yeah too late now I was referring to preproduction phase building The Batman to fit with Joker.

Back