The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one cared about Nolan until he tackled Batman.... now all the Bat freaks love him no matter what he does. Many here even justified TDKR for a long time until that lie got to be embarrassing to protect. He has some interesting ideas, the kind you talk about at dinner parties or playgrounds, but they are not always interesting as movies, like Tenet. I would call Nolan innovative, yes, but not always successful... in fact, not often successful for my tastes.

Nolan's Joker was GREAT... if it wasn't for that movie (that characterization) the Nolan trilogy would have fallen flat.

It's interesting that Nolan and Znyder are almost exact opposites: the former is good with story but not very cinematic in delivery while the latter is terrible with story but a great visualist. If you could merge the two... then you'd have a truly great filmmaker on the level of Hitchcock or Spielberg.

Batman Begins & The Dark Knight are great... 2 of the best Comic Book films ever made.

Now, The Dark Knight Rises.... That's another story. That was utter garbage. Almost ruined the 1st 2 for me.

As for Nolan, those are also the only 2 movies of his he directed that I truly like. Dunkirk was good too, although a bit slow.

In total agreement, he started going downhill after the dark knight-all of his movies from that point on besides Dunkirk had those dumb open endings where the viewer is left to decide what happened. I am sure he thought he was being clever but to the viewer it just felt like an incomplete film, like the director himself doesn?t even know how his own film ends or didn?t have the balls to commit to an ending. Dunkirk was good cause it actually told a full story from start to finish and had a clear-cut ending; the audience wasn?t left wondering what happened (it also helps that it?s based on a historical event).

The only movie I would add to the list above is Memento, that movie was a ****ing masterpiece in my opinion. I always felt Nolan kept trying to recapture the magic of that film with his "clever" confusing endings but never came close.

No one cared about Nolan until he tackled Batman.... now all the Bat freaks love him no matter what he does. Many here even justified TDKR for a long time until that lie got to be embarrassing to protect. He has some interesting ideas, the kind you talk about at dinner parties or playgrounds, but they are not always interesting as movies, like Tenet. I would call Nolan innovative, yes, but not always successful... in fact, not often successful for my tastes.

Nolan's Joker was GREAT... if it wasn't for that movie (that characterization) the Nolan trilogy would have fallen flat.

It's interesting that Nolan and Znyder are almost exact opposites: the former is good with story but not very cinematic in delivery while the latter is terrible with story but a great visualist. If you could merge the two... then you'd have a truly great filmmaker on the level of Hitchcock or Spielberg.

Memento was his best flick and why he was given the directors job for batman begins its also why Christian bale decided to take the part. Without memento there would be no batman begins

Memento was his best flick and why he was given the directors job for batman begins its also why Christian bale decided to take the part. Without memento there would be no batman begins

Agreed, but no one here (maybe a small few) knew him from that -- besides it was Jonathan that made that film happen. They watched it AFTER they saw Batman Begins (or after they heard of this nobody getting hired and wanted to check him out). Nolan was like an art house type, Memento was an art house darling.

Boy did I love Memento when it came out. And yes it was very under the radar. I remember taking my GF to see it when it was playing on a single screen at one arthouse theater in downtown Portland and even then there were only a few people in the audience. I then watched it over and over when it was released at home, even completed that infuriating "quiz" on the DVD to get it to play the scenes in chronological order, lol. The story feels significantly more sinister that way, as you'd probably expect.

I was excited for Insomnia and enjoyed it despite it not attaining Memento's wow factor. But I think that the one-two punch of Memento plus him proving he could handle big stars/egos with Insomnia is what led to WB giving him a shot with BB (which is still my favorite of the TDK trilogy.)

I think Wor-Gar might have a new favorite villain with The Batman

31151A78-E716-41B5-99E4-B1D3EB32C028.jpeg

He won't replace Toht... but I hope he has come quirky character aspects and isn't just a cranky crime boss who slams his fist on his desk and says: I want The Batman!

Let him snicker, let him wipe the disgusting sweat from his fat face, let him sneer as he grinds his teeth on his cigarette holder...

"Governor Penguin, I should’ve expected to find you holding Riddler’s leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board."

Can Riddler be a show stealer like Ledger or Jack?

Or is he going to be a Zemo type villain like in Civil War?

Will he be better than Carrey? He was a show stealer too. Best part of BF.

:confused:

Can Riddler be a show stealer like Ledger or Jack?

Or is he going to be a Zemo type villain like in Civil War?

Will he be better than Carrey? He was a show stealer too. Best part of BF.

:confused:

Riddler looks to be the puppet master in this one. Strings Batman along to...uncover another murder? Police corruption?

Back