( the Batman 2021 ) Robert Patterson Version Hot Toys 1/6 Scale hopefully released

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol yikes...... guess this dude prefers George Clooney

Nah the best Batman was Michael Keaton, by far. No actor has been really good as Batman after him (even Bale, who I love in most movies, but he was mostly overacting as Batman, and uninteresting as Wayne; I do love The Dark Knight Rises though).

Clooney happened to be in the worst Batman movie until now, and was the worst Batman until now, but who knows, Pattinson might just top it.
Batman & Robin was thought & designed for children who would buy the toys back then. I remember Schumacher bragging about the toys having sold so much and not caring about the movie quality in some interview. Bottom line is, it was a movie for children.

This new Batman however takes itself seriously and is designed for all audiences. But it's completely lacking on every level. The lighting looks mediocre, I'm not impressed by any shot so far, the overall design is extremely disappointing. Just from a directing & lighting perspective, there was more work on Batman & Robin! And regarding their "new" take, it just looks like Batman Begins (which already had a ton of problems) for teenagers.

Most of all, Pattinson isn't the right pick.
The fact they picked Pattinson is telling of the state of the movie industry as of now: the new generation of famous young actors isn't on par with actors from the past. Pattinson may be one of the biggest actors from his generation and that's why he got picked. But he doesn't have the looks nor the voice.

They should've gone with someone fresh, fit for the role, unknown from the mainstream audience. OR go for an older Batman. I'm still waiting for the real Dark Knight Returns on screen. And there are two clear picks: either Ed Harris or Peter Weller.
I've never understood why they picked Ben Affleck when they "tried" to adapt TDKR. He was too young for the role and he never impressed me as an actor (neither as a director, never understood the praise, he's no Scorsese let alone Spielberg let alone Kubrick let alone De Palma let alone Cronenberg let alone basically every real director, hell even Schumacher is a better director). The only thing he had was the body really, and the suits were amazing.

I do appreciate some bits of Bat V Supes though. The overall movie is a mess (even in its director's cut version), they shouldn't have included Wonder Woman nor Doomsday (and picked someone else than Eisenberg for Luthor, I can't stand this actor), but there are some very nice shots & lighting which look like an advertising or a music clip (Zack Snyder doesn't seem to be able to offer anything else than this). And I love the suits, whoever was in charge of the designs did an amazing job, and that's how we got great figures. I loved the idea of Wayne having the Robin's suit tainted by the Joker letting us know he was killed, but it doesn't go anywhere sadly.
The dialogues are lacking too much, it's not cynical enough. Ben Affleck just isn't right for the tone & vision of an old, cynical Bruce Wayne. Cavill on the other hand is the perfect pick as Superman, but having grown with Reeve, I'm a bit biased. I still prefer Reeve but that's very subjective.
The oddest choice of the movie was having Jeremy Irons as Alfred. I absolutely love this actor, but something about him as Alfred didn't feel right.
Anyway, very weird movie, with some good moments, some great ideas, and the best live suits for Batman.

Not even getting into Justice League, but I'll give a chance to the Snyder cut just for fun.

But bottomline is, the best Batman movies will remain Batman & Batman Returns, by far. The only other superhero movie on par is Spider-man 2 by Sam Raimi.

I hope HotToys bypasses this movie but pays attention to the new Series on HBO for figure offerings.
I envision a adult based live action "Anitmated Series" inspired show. A slew of the best villains well developed and flushed out over time. It could be very impressive!

Nah the best Batman was Michael Keaton, by far. No actor has been really good as Batman after him (even Bale, who I love in most movies, but he was mostly overacting as Batman, and uninteresting as Wayne; I do love The Dark Knight Rises though).

Clooney happened to be in the worst Batman movie until now, and was the worst Batman until now, but who knows, Pattinson might just top it.
Batman & Robin was thought & designed for children who would buy the toys back then. I remember Schumacher bragging about the toys having sold so much and not caring about the movie quality in some interview. Bottom line is, it was a movie for children.

This new Batman however takes itself seriously and is designed for all audiences. But it's completely lacking on every level. The lighting looks mediocre, I'm not impressed by any shot so far, the overall design is extremely disappointing. Just from a directing & lighting perspective, there was more work on Batman & Robin! And regarding their "new" take, it just looks like Batman Begins (which already had a ton of problems) for teenagers.

Most of all, Pattinson isn't the right pick.
The fact they picked Pattinson is telling of the state of the movie industry as of now: the new generation of famous young actors isn't on par with actors from the past. Pattinson may be one of the biggest actors from his generation and that's why he got picked. But he doesn't have the looks nor the voice.

They should've gone with someone fresh, fit for the role, unknown from the mainstream audience. OR go for an older Batman. I'm still waiting for the real Dark Knight Returns on screen. And there are two clear picks: either Ed Harris or Peter Weller.
I've never understood why they picked Ben Affleck when they "tried" to adapt TDKR. He was too young for the role and he never impressed me as an actor (neither as a director, never understood the praise, he's no Scorsese let alone Spielberg let alone Kubrick let alone De Palma let alone Cronenberg let alone basically every real director, hell even Schumacher is a better director). The only thing he had was the body really, and the suits were amazing.

I do appreciate some bits of Bat V Supes though. The overall movie is a mess (even in its director's cut version), they shouldn't have included Wonder Woman nor Doomsday (and picked someone else than Eisenberg for Luthor, I can't stand this actor), but there are some very nice shots & lighting which look like an advertising or a music clip (Zack Snyder doesn't seem to be able to offer anything else than this). And I love the suits, whoever was in charge of the designs did an amazing job, and that's how we got great figures. I loved the idea of Wayne having the Robin's suit tainted by the Joker letting us know he was killed, but it doesn't go anywhere sadly.
The dialogues are lacking too much, it's not cynical enough. Ben Affleck just isn't right for the tone & vision of an old, cynical Bruce Wayne. Cavill on the other hand is the perfect pick as Superman, but having grown with Reeve, I'm a bit biased. I still prefer Reeve but that's very subjective.
The oddest choice of the movie was having Jeremy Irons as Alfred. I absolutely love this actor, but something about him as Alfred didn't feel right.
Anyway, very weird movie, with some good moments, some great ideas, and the best live suits for Batman.

Not even getting into Justice League, but I'll give a chance to the Snyder cut just for fun.

But bottomline is, the best Batman movies will remain Batman & Batman Returns, by far. The only other superhero movie on par is Spider-man 2 by Sam Raimi.

Funny cause back in the day they said Keaton was t right for the part either . They said he was comedian and didn?t belong and they said ledger sucked to and would make a bad joker. Now look where we are.

Funny cause back in the day they said Keaton was t right for the part either . They said he was comedian and didn?t belong and they said ledger sucked to and would make a bad joker. Now look where we are.

You're right on the way those actors were criticized. But there are some major differences with the current situation.

For Keaton: different era, different breed of men, director with a vision.
Matt Reeves has directed Cloverfield (which was okay because it was basically a found footage Godzilla movie, it was fun, but the directing was 0 in this movie) and the sequels to the reboot of Planet of the apes (which was great), and neither of those movies were very good, and the directing could have been done by anyone. He's basically a yes man, he doesn't have a vision like Tim Burton did back in the day (what Tim Burton has become ever since Big Fish is a totally different matter). It shows in the trailer.
Keaton didn't and still doesn't have the right face/body for Wayne. BUT he has amazing eyes and voice. The way he looks is deadly, especially under the suit. He has the jawline, the eyes, the voice. Pattinson has absolutely nothing except for the jawline. But his voice sucks and his eyes have nothing. He just won't do it. You'll see.

As for Ledger, he was a bit criticized up to the point of his death (not as much as Ben Affleck when it was revealed he would be Batman, even Pattinson didn't get as much hate as Affleck), then he was already legendary even before people saw the movie. Believe me I remember. I even remember I wasn't sure about the scars on the mouth on the first reveal, and since I hated Batman Begins (and still do), my faith on Nolan was minimal. But Ledger was a good actor and I was curious to see the result. I don't think he'd have gotten as much praise had he lived. That said, he was great as The Joker, especially his outfit and make up. Nicholson was a better actor all around but Ledger gives something else entirely, I loved his performance. I love both versions.

Anyway, I didn't doubt Ledger so much. I doubted Nolan. The Dark Knight wasn't that great (main problem was Two Face being developed too late in the movie) but we'll all agree Ledger was great.

The Batman has absolutely nothing going for him. I'm not even criticizing Pattinson as an actor. He can be okay. I don't care about Twilight, I didn't even watch those movies. I'm just saying, he already doesn't cut it as Batman/Wayne. He isn't the right pick. And Matt Reeves isn't amazing either. From the trailer, it looks sooooo random, I already don't care about it, it's already over, and I hope The Dark Knight Returns will be adapted faithfully in the late 2020's.

I just want Ed Harris as Old Batman.

You're right on the way those actors were criticized. But there are some major differences with the current situation.

For Keaton: different era, different breed of men, director with a vision.
Matt Reeves has directed Cloverfield (which was okay because it was basically a found footage Godzilla movie, it was fun, but the directing was 0 in this movie) and the sequels to the reboot of Planet of the apes (which was great), and neither of those movies were very good, and the directing could have been done by anyone. He's basically a yes man, he doesn't have a vision like Tim Burton did back in the day (what Tim Burton has become ever since Big Fish is a totally different matter). It shows in the trailer.
Keaton didn't and still doesn't have the right face/body for Wayne. BUT he has amazing eyes and voice. The way he looks is deadly, especially under the suit. He has the jawline, the eyes, the voice. Pattinson has absolutely nothing except for the jawline. But his voice sucks and his eyes have nothing. He just won't do it. You'll see.

As for Ledger, he was a bit criticized up to the point of his death (not as much as Ben Affleck when it was revealed he would be Batman, even Pattinson didn't get as much hate as Affleck), then he was already legendary even before people saw the movie. Believe me I remember. I even remember I wasn't sure about the scars on the mouth on the first reveal, and since I hated Batman Begins (and still do), my faith on Nolan was minimal. But Ledger was a good actor and I was curious to see the result. I don't think he'd have gotten as much praise had he lived. That said, he was great as The Joker, especially his outfit and make up. Nicholson was a better actor all around but Ledger gives something else entirely, I loved his performance. I love both versions.

Anyway, I didn't doubt Ledger so much. I doubted Nolan. The Dark Knight wasn't that great (main problem was Two Face being developed too late in the movie) but we'll all agree Ledger was great.

The Batman has absolutely nothing going for him. I'm not even criticizing Pattinson as an actor. He can be okay. I don't care about Twilight, I didn't even watch those movies. I'm just saying, he already doesn't cut it as Batman/Wayne. He isn't the right pick. And Matt Reeves isn't amazing either. From the trailer, it looks sooooo random, I already don't care about it, it's already over, and I hope The Dark Knight Returns will be adapted faithfully in the late 2020's.

I just want Ed Harris as Old Batman.

Direction was 0 in Cloverfield? So everyone just scrambled to make it? Of course there's directing in the film, don't be so naive. Nor as to say anyone could have done the Apes. If you look at his portfolio of films, the ones you mentioned, including the remake of Let Me In, it's clear that he's a very boots to the ground character driven film maker. If you can't see that in his films that's more on you than what the films factually are. And that's clearly what we'll be getting with the Batman. I think what you're getting at is he doesn't have an overall distinctive flashy style of direction. No he doesn't, however he does have a very narrative driven, character driven and fairly grounded approach to his filmmaking like I said, and believe it or not, that's direction.

In every regard I think Keaton is a poor Batman, and a caricature, in a caricaturist world, and his eyes look bulbous. I didn't grow up with it, so I've no emotional attachment to it, it's very product of its time, but from the sounds of it you're attached to that film emotionally and seeing as this is going to be nothing like that it sounds like you're in attack mode in some sort of defense of the Burton style. In the end it's your loss. I've never understood fans clinging onto past films as the beacon of what is possible. It exists, you love it, be glad. Try to find some enjoyment in new interpretations, they don't erase what came before...

Lol, so random? What does that even mean? It's clear that Riddler is leaving clues for Batman to follow in finding out more about his parents death and the people running the city, and playing people as chess pieces. It doesn't seem like it'll be a groundbreaking story, but par for the course for detective style Batman narrative. I think we just need to call a spade a spade, and agree that you're essentially a prescriptivist to old-guard Batman.

Well said Gary.

Seconded. My favourite iteration of Batman on film is Keaton, and one of my favourite superhero films is Returns; not because it?s good (it?s not) but because of style, time and place.

I?ve seen a trailer for Pattinson Bats, and the only thing I don?t like is the suit, but I think it?s one hell of a reach to pass judgement on the film before it?s made or shown, based on a perception of Pattinson being a lesser man than the supposed legendary men of old or anything else at this point.

I?ll watch the film and decide from there.

Superheroes, James Bond, mythic content like vampires, monsters ... they all have a narrative plasticity that allows for many interpretations and presentations, within the confines of the core narrative.

Contemporary entertainment being what it is, there are many opportunities to fall flat, but even the beloved source material has more than its fair share of misfires.

This is a sit and wait situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Direction was 0 in Cloverfield? So everyone just scrambled to make it? Of course there's directing in the film, don't be so naive. Nor as to say anyone could have done the Apes. If you look at his portfolio of films, the ones you mentioned, including the remake of Let Me In, it's clear that he's a very boots to the ground character driven film maker. If you can't see that in his films that's more on you than what the films factually are. And that's clearly what we'll be getting with the Batman. I think what you're getting at is he doesn't have an overall distinctive flashy style of direction. No he doesn't, however he does have a very narrative driven, character driven and fairly grounded approach to his filmmaking like I said, and believe it or not, that's direction.

In every regard I think Keaton is a poor Batman, and a caricature, in a caricaturist world, and his eyes look bulbous. I didn't grow up with it, so I've no emotional attachment to it, it's very product of its time, but from the sounds of it you're attached to that film emotionally and seeing as this is going to be nothing like that it sounds like you're in attack mode in some sort of defense of the Burton style. In the end it's your loss. I've never understood fans clinging onto past films as the beacon of what is possible. It exists, you love it, be glad. Try to find some enjoyment in new interpretations, they don't erase what came before...

Lol, so random? What does that even mean? It's clear that Riddler is leaving clues for Batman to follow in finding out more about his parents death and the people running the city, and playing people as chess pieces. It doesn't seem like it'll be a groundbreaking story, but par for the course for detective style Batman narrative. I think we just need to call a spade a spade, and agree that you're essentially a prescriptivist to old-guard Batman.

Damn well said

Seconded. My favourite iteration of Batman on film is Keaton, and one of my favourite superhero films is Returns; not because it?s good (it?s not) but because of style, time and place.

I?ve seen a trailer for Pattinson Bats, and the only thing I don?t like is the suit, but I think it?s one hell of a reach to pass judgement on the film before it?s made or shown, based on a perception of Pattinson being a lesser man than the supposed legendary men of old or anything else at this point.

I?ll watch the film and decide from there.

Superheroes, James Bond, mythic content like vampires, monsters ... they all have a narrative plasticity that allows for many interpretations and presentations, within the confines of the core narrative.

Contemporary entertainment being what it is, there are many opportunities to fall flat, but even the beloved source material has more than its fair share of misfires.

This is a sit and wait situation.

Judging from Facebook Batman fans seem to cast judgement on a new iteration or someone taking the role then when it?s a success they stab the hell out of it . Affleck comes to mind.

So now most fans are saying Pattinson is emo and doesn?t look like Bruce Wayne . Well Batman is emo for one and he looks like a young Bruce so it?s fine

I am firmly in the Nolan camp for my Batman.

Keaton was passible for me, but seemed too much like James Bond.

I do not even consider anything after thee first Keaton Batman up to Nolan even worth watching. Way too campy and stupid. I grew up with Adam West and had enough of Batman being a joke for my entire life. I was ready for the gritty realism Nolan produced, and it is the only way I want my Batman now.

I loved the YEAR ZERO story line, and really am glad they are exploring an early Batman. Younger, smaller less experience is the Batman I want to see. I find the suit perfect for where he is in his learning process.

Batfleck? Just couldn?t get behind the DCU phase they completed. I think the older jaded Batman is another interesting arc, but they wasted that story. Batfleck was again silly and too over the top for me. The superhero CGI killed those films for me.
Shame thou, because I think a stand alone Batfleck could be interesting ....especially if they added a Nightwing element to it.

I'm firmly in the comic book camp when it comes to Batman. The movies are cool, but none of them are the real deal. I've enjoyed almost every Batman movie I've seen for what they each have been: someone else's well-executed vision. I prefer to watch movies that challenge my assumptions, even if my assumptions are as simple as "Hero X must behave like so." I certainly would hate to see only films based on comics that adhere to my subjective opinion of what the subject matter should be. I like the Burton movies. I like the Nolan movies. I like the Snyder movies. I recognize that the Schumacher movies accomplished what they set out to accomplish even if they aren't my cup of tea. I like BTAS. I like the Superfriends (remember the Scooby-Doo team ups?). I like Adam West. There's a lot of Batman out there to consume, and it's not necessarily a This vs That scenario.

Now get a load of that post count. Mwahahahaha.

Based on the rumours, I hope the second suit will look something like this. I have no doubt the movie is going to be great in its own way.
90442f5bc334ac4cd2a87a255eb47d33.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

37b21244fc938021747d5039466cadf2.jpg

Needs a smaller mouthpiece but the colour is spot on.

Screenshot_20210502-165435_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210502-165426_Samsung Internet.jpg
Hopefully we'll see more now that filming is finished. I'm glad they brought back the hot rod concept with this batmobile design, the tank look was getting boring. Pattinson has yet to win me over, even with that trailer. His lack of passion for the character is concerning. Still I'll hold out hope this turns out decent.

Back