The ARTIST

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithlord1975

Super Freak
Reaction score
No thread on this? Tried to make a search. Didn't see it.
Hopefully I just missed it.
Or I have to say...really? No thread on this movie?? lol
If so, I'll delete this and post there.

Hoping others here do appreciate different and unique cinema.
This movie was a breath of fresh air for me.

My quickie review:

LOVED the artist. Alot of people not interested, or I heard walked out of the movies? Morons.
Obviously didn’t know what they were walking into or didn’t “get it”.

But an amazing unique, refreshing film. I totally agree with the critics. It’s 97% positive on Rotten Tomatoes.
It was delightful, and joyous to watch. Clever idea to say the least.
Especially in the days of in your face loudness and chaos on screen lol

I was so impressed with the technical aspect of it too. It was really neat how this movie was made last year, yet they captured the feel and time period and style of how that time period was and how movies were made back then. Complete recreation.

And the two lead actors were just that type of actor that would have back then, that had that extra charisma, charm and likeability.
The lead guy and lead actress were great. I really got into it.

Then the whole idea, which is kind of a movie within a movie a little bit, and a movie that is self aware, and a silent movie, about the idea of silent movies dying in place of talking movies. So that was neat. And obviously how the end pays off.

It was just a neat thing to see and get an idea of how people watched movies back then. That’s how it was.

I can see the nomination for best picture.

If it were to win it would just be Hollywood celebrating itself. The film is not as great as most critics say, it is very good and very entertaining (especially the dog) but is not a fantastic piece of cinema. If you tell the same story with sound and I don't think it even gets a nomination.

This is a gimmick movie and there is nothing wrong with that. "The Sixth Sense", "Memento", and "Burried" are examples of successful Gimmick Movies.

Ones that haven't worked for me were "Phone Booth", "Blair Witch", and "Avatar".

Was this like a Pince biography, or what?

prince_says_hai.gif

Have no interest in this. Fell asleep almost every day during my silent film class (along with most other film classes) back in college.

I thought that it was a fantastic movie and deserves the praise that it is getting. It's not personally my favorite movie of the year (that would Tree of Life), but it is definitely up there and I wouldn't mind if it ends up winning Best Picutre. That being said, it does seem like a lot of the love it is getting is self-adulation from Hollywood for its own past. I think Hugo, while a good enough movie, is also benefitting from the vanity of Hollywood that has hyped up The Artist so much.

Loved it. This and Hugo are the only genuinely good new films I've seen in the last few months.

Hugo is a far, far, far, far superior film - but I enjoyed The Artist a lot. It was committed to its premise and carried through. I had kind of hoped it would be a post-modern approach and meta-commentary on the art of film - but it was schmaltzy and proud of it.

What in the world was Malcolm McDowell doing in there though? It would have been better to not have included him at all instead of that pointless cameo.

Back