The Anatomy of a Pose - A Central Hub for Tips and Tricks to Better Your Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IHMxW7U.jpg

fvOenDm.jpg

Cewdppt.jpg

9iSQ1FG.jpg

Hell of a diorama Remy.
The one Aragon is standing on top of... any provenance info about it? It does ring a bell, but I am not sure....
I guess the green stuff and the gray stones are from some aquarium shop...?
Thanks,
m.

Hell of a diorama Remy.
The one Aragon is standing on top of... any provenance info about it? It does ring a bell, but I am not sure....
I guess the green stuff and the gray stones are from some aquarium shop...?
Thanks,
m.

That looks like the skull from the Classic Predator.

Thanks.
And that is correct. Good eye DaveJames. It’s the hot toys classic predator base.
The base Frodo is standing on is the kotobukiya yoda dagobah scene.
And the rest are From aquarium stuff.

I appreciate the kinds words folks, and I'm thrilled to see everyone enjoying the thread so much! I really love some of the pics in here, it makes me eager to get back into my shelves and pose more! Hopefully it's inspiring a lot of you too.

Here's two more to add.
31c78b6fd28b085bf909ca6517be677b.jpg
41567ef8d5ab5c798854857ddfd7ebc2.jpg

Cool thread! Some nice poses in here. I’m taking notes!

For my contribution… I do a lot of diorama/display building. To help increase the realism in the displays, I don’t use any of the traditional figure stands in my final builds. Instead, I use wire supports from old metal clothes hangers. I drill a hole into the dio surface, and then run the metal support up a the pants leg(s), or drill directly into the shoe and have the metal support go directly into the figure.

No stand to interfere with the look of the figure, and no fear of the figures toppling over.

One of my favorite applications of this is on my Joker ’89 figure. He has been in this single leg pose for a number of years now.

Joker.jpg

Cool thread! Some nice poses in here. I’m taking notes!

For my contribution… I do a lot of diorama/display building. To help increase the realism in the displays, I don’t use any of the traditional figure stands in my final builds. Instead, I use wire supports from old metal clothes hangers. I drill a hole into the dio surface, and then run the metal support up a the pants leg(s), or drill directly into the shoe and have the metal support go directly into the figure.

No stand to interfere with the look of the figure, and no fear of the figures toppling over.

One of my favorite applications of this is on my Joker ’89 figure. He has been in this single leg pose for a number of years now.

Nice. I'd be interested in a couple of "how to" pics if you have them or perhaps next time you do one. I also try to avoid stands as they are invariably all different. I prefer clean lines and simplicity.

This may be a good way to help those who don't stand too well on their own......I'm looking at you AoU Thor !!

Since I don’t have a fancy camera or set-up, I’ll just try to concentrate on the poses...

So first off some variety!
This is ACI’s take on Lucius Vorenus from HBO’s Rome series. Head sculpts with expressions are always fun to pose in dynamic poses, and I wanted to capture that stabbing/thrusting stance associated with Roman fighting techniques and the gladius. Unless it’s a very extreme or flying pose, I always try to find the right balance so that the figure can stand unassisted.
Of course, for long term exhibition, I do use stands, because there’s a very high probability that an ankle joint will give after a while, even in “Museum” poses.

b2862c96315cd9b8928e68f37c425f35.jpg

On to Achilles and Hector in their brutal duel before the gates of Troy.
Hector is stock ACI, while Achilles is sporting a CooModels body. The lances are metal, so they’re pretty heavy, which makes it difficult to find a pose where the figures can actually hold them up. On the other hand, their weight helps with finding the correct balance.
Befitting the character, Achilles has made the offensive move, while Hector is on the defensive. I should’ve switched Achilles’ left hand, but I was too lazy...

39b59f65a9acd9dcc5b41e98c9ea4f58.jpg

Here they are each on their own.

9150d5578d3ca9ddf8e3cacedcd54ade.jpg

3a24add18628c72f02c57fbfb16d5dbb.jpg

And no, I don’t have them posed like that, this is what they usually look like.

125ded726676545b717bfd4b731cd260.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Speaking of extreme poses, here’s one where I just couldn’t find the balance and still make it look right.

But to me, this is quintessential Alex!

afbc22a14ad311ff70b2da66a3f15275.jpg

On to some more feminine pursuits with a customized RE Alice. Everything’s Hot Toys except the body, which is an old Triad Toys Eva with the small chest attachment.

24e8cb6937b2d9e062b529ca200b5c1f.jpg

And finally, some love for Sideshow!
A heroic Snowtrooper risks his life to help a wounded AT-AT driver get away from the wreckage.
Both figures are stock.

7ca0ba245ccb748f3d654afdc188ad69.jpg

The Snowtrooper went back into the fray afterwards.

fdbbcf25da4d1bd77004349d5eccf34b.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Wow some people have got this down to a fine art.:clap

Not really a pose, I just like the way I got the fig looking into the camera. Like he is really looking at you.
1gSplgI.jpg

A heroic Snowtrooper risks his life to help a wounded AT-AT driver get away from the wreckage.
Both figures are stock.

7ca0ba245ccb748f3d654afdc188ad69.jpg

This is great. Rare to see poses with 2 pieces together like this. Nice one !

If you had the Hot Toys Snowtrooper you could add a double meaning to it, by HT helping a weak SS 1/6 lineup of late :lol

Great thread. Much to learn [emoji1303]

I just went through the whole thing, and some of you really seem to know how to elevate it from being just a figure, to something that really looks like a piece of art. Looking forward to being inspired (OK, copying) many of your ideas and poses, a great thread and long overdue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back