The Anatomy of a Pose - A Central Hub for Tips and Tricks to Better Your Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread has also inspired me at work. I’m teaching animation to high school students and yesterday I created some posing exercises with a rigged character with no face. I gave them a list of poses with action/emotion/attitude and they had to think how they could convey them through the body language of the character. It was great![emoji106][emoji106]

Awesome. It's the same thing. Makes you stop and examine the human body and how we convey emotion etc.

Oh and another tip: Whenever you bend the knees, bend it from the upper joint and not the lower one. It always looks so weird and unnatural to me when I see the knee extending out like that on people's figures.

411798661.jpg

:lol:clap

JovialEasyDassierat-size_restricted.gif

Oh and another tip: Whenever you bend the knees, bend it from the upper joint and not the lower one. It always looks so weird and unnatural to me when I see the knee extending out like that on people's figures.

Similar with double-jointed elbows... except you bend from the lower joint first.... if I remember right...

Yeah especially when it comes to female figures, you want to make sure the elbow has that point to it when you bend their arms. Otherwise the upper arm will look all short and weird.

The knee joint thing: Sometimes, depending on what you are trying to do, it can't be helped. i.e. this pose:

413789754.jpg

His top joint only gets the knee to about a 50º bend, not nearly the 90º to pull off the look I was going for. So it's a trade off. I probably could have framed the pic to hide it better. Wish HT could make a double joint that didn't look goofy when used.

Posing take me forever, because I always want to match the view I have in my head.

These are two of my best, the look better when not using a crappy iphone camera.....

86ba8ce1d3ead3caa08da127028119bc.jpg
3ffe2de04ca995d039f3b58d891e4a12.jpg

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

The knee joint thing: Sometimes, depending on what you are trying to do, it can't be helped. i.e. this pose:

413789754.jpg

His top joint only gets the knee to about a 50º bend, not nearly the 90º to pull off the look I was going for. So it's a trade off. I probably could have framed the pic to hide it better. Wish HT could make a double joint that didn't look goofy when used.

Yeah I've noticed that with my Spidey too. You can only bend the knees a little bit before it starts to look weird.

Yeah I've noticed that with my Spidey too. You can only bend the knees a little bit before it starts to look weird.

Yeah, ASM2 was a better action figure, even though I prefer HC’s look and proportions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's so nice to see people actually using the articulation these figures have. So many people seem to think that only the arms and head move....

Back