The 3A Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm not into ro-jaws, but i get rehel instead :yess:

Last edited:
Sweet. The AK retail figs look like they are ready to go:

penwall-300x241.jpg

shadowwall-300x257.jpg

tommmyy-300x271.jpg

Also, Companion Square! haha, that's kind of neat:

image001-3-300x234.png

That square is just sad. So uncool, so sell-out.

There's something for everyone. It's not my cup o' tea either, but sell-out's just a ridiculous phrase for it.

Ash makes things for people, there's a large group of people who will hop on a "niche" nerd themed vinyl toy. I have no doubt sales will be good for it.

Forgive me for saying so, but I hope hipster Crap like that is not ALL they make from the valve license. They made the AMAZING metal gear, so I'm hoping to see some more from them.

Forgive me for saying so, but I hope hipster Crap like that is not ALL they make from the valve license. They made the AMAZING metal gear, so I'm hoping to see some more from them.

I'd like to see 1/6 Atlas & P-Body figures personally

They'll be showing some thing(s) off a SDCC which will be a good indication of their plans

Last edited:
man you 2 are in the wrong section in there forums :cuckoo:

I assume this is aimed at me. Could you please translate what you are trying to say? :slap

I'm in the 3A Thread, not the "3A does everything but Ashley Wood" thread.

I did mean sell-out. Slapping companion square decals on a square seems contrary to Ash's otherwise artistic nature. It looks horridly trite. You're not one of those fanboys that approves of everything Ash does no matter what, are you? If you are, you'd be better off safe in the fenced-in happyland daycare of the 3A forums. I choose to exercise discernment. Instead of his smaller audience, more painterly art, he is hooking up with a license and trying to appeal to a larger retail audience,the very definition of selling out. No artistic integrity in that thing. It's one step away from a Grimace square in a Happy Meal.

I will only say this about that: sometimes artistic endeavors require funding and sometimes artists enjoy other people's Intellectual Properties.

Also, prior to going Independent, AW worked for other companies drawing more or less what other people told him to.

These new partnerships are fine with me. threeA itself is a partnership, and AW is not the only stakeholder in that company.

At the end of the day, everyone has mouths to feed and sometimes we do what we need to do.

I actually think the Companion Square was a no-brainer given their new association with Valve. A perfect blending of two signature characters in each company's creative universes. I'm guessing AW felt the same way.

Anyhoo, I think you're making more of this than it really is.

There's also a lot of assumptions being made that no one has any basis for. "Sell out" by definition requires a certain intent which no one here has any direct knowledge of. Doing something for money in and of itself isn't selling out. It's the compromise of personal moral and creative views that is selling out. We cannot know that is what is happening here.

The best you can do is take Ash at his word which is and always has been "I make what I like". The Real Steal license is a good example of that in action. ThreeA are not making Adam, the main bot from the film, because they don't want to. That to me is the opposite of selling out. There's no way to know for sure, but what little evidence there is points in the complete opposite direction of the concept of "selling out".

"Better" is also a totally personal thing imo. It's just like "good and evil". It's not strictly something that can be "true". It is usually just an expression of personal taste. Sometimes it occurs that a majority will agree on if something is "good" or "bad" but that doesn't make it any more "true" to me. Just because 60% of the population at a given point in time thinks, let's say a movie, is "bad" that doesn't mean that plenty of people don't think it's "good" or that in the future that opinion might change.

A lot of people love that Square. Just because you do not does not make it "bad". It just means you do not like it.

I'm fine with them releasing..... independent art. I'm fine with them taking creative license. I'd just like to see something more come out of their working with valve than "unique takes" like the Square.

That sort of thing would be akin to hasbro only ever making Mighty muggs with the marvel licence, even though they're known for making action figures.

3z makes fantastic looking robots, I'd like to see them tackle a few of valve's designs. And Ashley Wood has shown he CAN do licensed properties. Remember his ill-fated Star Wars Figures?

If not, Oh well, wasted opportunity.

Back