TERMINATOR SALVATION movie discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be seeing it tomorrow night. Not sure what to make of the reviews. I know it's going to have great action/ special FX, but my concern is the story and the characters. I don't care if it's too dark, hell, the original is frickin bleak as hell. I do care about writing. I want to feel bad for Connor, his impossible task of being told his whole life he will lead the human race to victory in the face of extinction by the machines. I want to feel for Marcus Wright, waking up realizing he's "not in Kansas anymore" and worse, not human anymore. What makes you a human? A body or the ability to make your own fate?
I guess my point is, the movie could be great, but the writing and directing of the dialogue scenes will make or break this film for me. I want to walk away from it going "Yeah the FX are great, but the writing and story are worth the price of admission on it's own". That's what this series deserves as the first two are two of the best action films ever made with great drama.

Only 3 more days. :rock

PICT1581.jpg

Btw, trying to avoid spoilers has been harder then avoiding swine flu. Every time I change the channel someone wants to show me a ten minute clip from the movie.

Last edited:
Only 3 more days. :rock

Btw, trying to avoid spoilers has been harder then avoiding swine flu. Every time I change the channel someone wants to show me a ten minute clip from the movie.

I know what you mean! Going into any of the Terminator figure-related threads in the Aliens/Robots section of SSF is like stepping into a field of landmines. Someone even has a picture of Arnold as featured in Terminator: Salvation IN HIS SIG! I didn't want to see any of those spoilery images, so curse you board member "thenammagazine".

Last edited:
Okay, it's just one person's opinion (and Harry Knowles' at that), but he just got out of his screening and this is what he posted on Twitter:

wow that was crap

I ^^^^ing hated that piece of ^^^^

no sarcasm, complete and total loathing of the film

Please, no. Please let this be one of those times I completely disagree with him.

Still waiting to hear from those I know and trust well, but I'll see it Friday regardless. Bummed I missed the screening, though.

I just read a couple more reviews (skipping the plot synopsis, as always), and one review attributes the movie's biggest shortcoming to the lack of Arnold, who the reviewer argues was the key ingredient in the franchise recipe. I don't think I would mind. Maybe it's because I was a big fan of TSCC despite Arnold not being featured.

Is it just me or has it been a long time since a movie was released on a Thursday?

That's become a standard tactic for big movies over Memorial Day weekend. The studios like than extra day over the holiday weekend.

Honestly I would have been ok with Arnold not being in it at all and the one scene he is in it is probably enough. Time to tell a different story... get away from Arnold.

I think its ridiculous that the 101 (Arnold) model is the T-800 we constantly see - so much for infiltration - if Skynet only ever send out 101s I think the resistance kinda might catch on pretty quick. What are the films to have us believe? Is skynet this stupid or is it just coincidence that the future resistance keeps encountering 101 T-800s? So in the context of the T universe I think its a tad silly that Arnie be in every single film. In the context of our reality, a movie audience, well - I was kind of turned off the idea that Arnie has to be there by T3 - a film which took the p>>s out of his character.

It's CelticP that has the Arnie avatar, not thenam.

But you wouldnt know it was from Salvation unless I toldya.

Oh and listening to the score now...I love it actually. Theres a good theme in the same vain as the T-Theme....it isnt better...but it's good.

the early reviews are indeed looking dire. but y'know what? i totally expected that. not defending the movie or anything, but many critics just go into a movie like this with a preconceived bias and contempt. especially if it's not written n directed by someone they deem "worthy". in this case brancato/ferris and mcG.

i think so far, the only critic that probably "gets" it is john anderson of variety. again, i'm not defending t4 cos i haven't even seen it. but his review sounds like that of a more objective, open-minded person who went in genuinely curious to see what had been done to the terminator series.

but the one worrying common thread in ALL the reviews i've read so far is that bale's preformance isn't very good or even appropriate for the role. watching him do his batman voice in the t4 trailers kinda backed up that criticism. hmmm...

still, like most of u guys, i will be my own judge of whether the film's any good. will be wearing my terminator t-shirt and bringing along my neca t800 endoskeleton to the screening! woo hoo!

I want serious, I want Connor broken to the point of feeling like he's going to fail, that he can't be the "great military leader", and the trailers have hinted that. If you're going to do a film series about the Termintor future war, the first film should have little signs of hope.

I am with you sean !
I want to see conor down on hes knees in the pooring rain and 1000 T-600 are comming to get him.

thats what I want to see !!

Arnold or no Arnold, I just want a well-made movie with a solid narrative and good characters.

Exactly, it can be a good movie with how him, will it is the question.

Oh and listening to the score now...I love it actually. Theres a good theme in the same vain as the T-Theme....it isnt better...but it's good.

If it's the piano piece I've caught a snippet of in preview, I like it, it's not the T theme, but it shows influence and sounds nice by itself.

The theme sounds almost like a variation on the Pitch Black/Riddick theme. Same first part. I like that theme anyway so...

Back