Terminator Franchise Customs Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Building the ultimate Terminator T-800 figure.

Thanks for the compliments the dude ................. here is a family group shot ..............

IMG_6244.jpg

"Impressive..." :vader

So... Thanks for the compliments uscmhicks... But what do you mean is wrong with his lips exactly? I agree they are far short of perfect... But what, in your opinion, needs to be changed to make them look better? Are the lips just too downturned? I might just say "Ah, screw it, it's good enough" and just mold/cast it without many changes (I of course keep having to redo the hair because in order to sculpt I have to pick it up, and touching the hair just reduces that area of it to a featureless blob on his head...lol)... One thing I just don't get is what is wrong with Hasbro... I guess maybe they don't shoot for realism? Because what you get is usually a cartoonish, slightly distorted face every time... I think this sculpt is at least slightly better than hasbro's could be (although if there is a hasbro Arnie I haven't seen it and I guess there is a possibility of it being better)... and I have almost no experience... Maybe it sounds like I'm boasting a little too much about a very amateur sculpt... I think someday I'll go back and completely redo Arnold from scratch... but for me right now, I think I'm pretty close to done. This goes for everyone: it would be greatly appreciated if you rated the head so far on a 1-10 basis... a 7 would make me feel pretty good...

I lol'd......

nice attempt though

Umm... thanks... Like I said, no experience, never really sculpted anything before hand (except one other head)... And I am not even old enough to drive yet.... Should be time to improve, cuz I know my sculpt is far from the greatest out there (xenoviper makes me wanna cry with his beautiful creations LOL) Btw if you think it's suckish, could you give me a little constructive criticism? so I can improve? even if its like "It just doesn't look like him at all"...

Hi everyone, this is my first post.... Im doing a custom terminator myself (duh, or else I shouldnt post here :) ). I didnt want to use a sideshow headsculpt, or repaint a hot toys alan dutch head, so I decided to go DIY (mostly because they're too expensive for me). This sculpt is my second attempt at sculpting a human head in 1/6 scale, and my first at trying to make it look like someone who actually exists. (my first custom head was a zombie not based on anyone in particular). So I use this blue oil-based clay that never dries out to sculpt, then when I'm done I just put it in a mold box and pour silicone around it to make a mold. Then I just cut the mold where the back of the head is and pull the entire clay sculpt out (the clay from which is still reusable and soft). Here are some pics of the head at this point (been working on it off and on for a month and a half), so tell me what you guys think!

arnold1.jpg

Here are some pics of the sculpt with my custom (made from scratch) glasses that I made specially to fit this head so far. They're based directly on ones I think he wore in T3...

arnold2.jpg

I have a leather jacket, leather pants, an AR-18 (the gun he used in T1 that looks kinda like an M-16 without a stock), and a good body (bbi G3.5)... Now all I need is to finish the head, get the right shotgun, and find/make a grey shirt...

My honest opinion is that it bears very little resemblance to Arnold. The cheeks are too puffed. the eyes aren't level, the area between the cheeks and cheek bones is too sunken, the nose is too bulbous, the hair is too high, the neck is too thin, the mouth is to "Mick Jaggerish", the brow furrow is too deep and the eyes are too puffy.

I don't mean to offend you with these observations but these are my honest observations.

Keep trying and I'm certain you will only get better.

Cheers :) Mario

My honest opinion is that it bears very little resemblance to Arnold. The cheeks are too puffed. the eyes aren't level, the area between the cheeks and cheek bones is too sunken, the nose is too bulbous, the hair is too high, the neck is too thin, the mouth is to "Mick Jaggerish", the brow furrow is too deep and the eyes are too puffy.

I don't mean to offend you with these observations but these are my honest observations.

Keep trying and I'm certain you will only get better.

Cheers :) Mario

thank you for your honest opinion; unfortunately the eyes in real life are level, however my camera has the most annoying tendency to widen and distort pictures, so I tried to correct for that by narrowing the pictures, but since the camera was tilted, one eye was above the other in the picture and when narrowed, it completely distorted it. I need a better camera... Although I will not argue with you on the brow and nose...

the left one has the head that i'm waiting for. i again think that this head looks more like Kurgan from Highlander than terminator.
but it's cool. that character in the movie seems to me so much copied from the terminator 1 in some way i cannot describe. clothes, scenes, music in the movie.

======================

pasha_std.jpg

sorry.

Last edited:

Ok. So maybe my sculpt sucks. Or maybe my camera makes it suck worse. I shoulda known better than to post this piece of [insert expletive here] on the same thread as some of the sculpting gods... Still, no one actually gave me an out of 10 rating... I guess mostly it would be 1's... And just saying "its bad" doesn't help me know what I should do to fix it... I guess I should just practice sculpting for a decade or two before I post anything on a thread like this... This is, after all, my second sculpt ever and I have a camera that likes to mess up my pictures... Any sculpters out there with advice? And by "advice" I don't mean something like "It just sucks. Go away and die." Most of you guys are just trying to come up with funny, clever ways of saying just that... Could you at least tell me WHY it sucks? Second day on the forum, not feeling so welcome...

What kind of clay are you using? And where do you buy silicone?

I am using some type of clay that actually came with an Alumilite molding/casting kit. It is designed to seal mold boxes so that silicone cannot leak out. One day I was looking for a good type of clay to try to start sculpting with, and then I realized that this clay is designed to be silicone resistant, and also that it never dries out, so I decided to try it by sculting a zombie head.Then I molded and cast it and I can now reuse the clay from the sculpt for a different sculpt if I wanted to. It can never really be hardened, so that's a minor drawback (if you want it to be solid you have to mold it and cast it), but you can never really run out of clay. If you are interested in getting some silicone or casting resin or this clay that I am using, you might check some hobby stores for Alumilite brand products. I think they sell it online at alumilite.com. The clay is included in the mini and super casting kits.

Most of you guys are just trying to come up with funny, clever ways of saying just that
i've seen that most of them said "nice but should be corrected here, here and here, you're welcome", so you're not fair to them.

Ok. So maybe my sculpt sucks. Or maybe my camera makes it suck worse. I shoulda known better than to post this piece of [insert expletive here] on the same thread as some of the sculpting gods... Still, no one actually gave me an out of 10 rating... I guess mostly it would be 1's... And just saying "its bad" doesn't help me know what I should do to fix it... I guess I should just practice sculpting for a decade or two before I post anything on a thread like this... This is, after all, my second sculpt ever and I have a camera that likes to mess up my pictures... Any sculpters out there with advice? And by "advice" I don't mean something like "It just sucks. Go away and die." Most of you guys are just trying to come up with funny, clever ways of saying just that... Could you at least tell me WHY it sucks? Second day on the forum, not feeling so welcome...
I understand where you're coming from, but 99% of people on here are extremely nice and tbf, the types of comments people have given are to be expected with the sculpt you have posted. No offence intended. As you said it's your 2nd sculpt, so nice one, and keep up the goodwork. You've gotta start somewhere, right?

This is a forum after all, those types of responses arent uncommon. :lol Just have a laugh about it and keep improving your sculpt!

I understand where you're coming from, but 99% of people on here are extremely nice and tbf, the types of comments people have given are to be expected with the sculpt you have posted. No offence intended. As you said it's your 2nd sculpt, so nice one, and keep up the goodwork. You've gotta start somewhere, right?

This is a forum after all, those types of responses arent uncommon. :lol Just have a laugh about it and keep improving your sculpt!

Ok then, just seems like saying it looks like an easter island head or "to be or not to be... not to be" is just kinda... well offensive when they don't say what exactly is wrong with it or how it can be improved. And I was mostly joking about the "It just sucks. Go away and die." thing... no one here has been that harsh... You guys should have seen what it looked like when I started on it! No one could tell who it was supposed to be, and looking back on the pic I took of it back then, it's something to laugh about.. Maybe I'll be laughing about the more recent pics (the ones I posted on this thread) in about a year when my sculpting skills have been improved (and my camera stops messing up my pictures... I mean if you took a pic of a perfect square with it it would end up being a rectangle in the pic)... The first pics I already recognize as absolutely ridiculous....

By the way does anyone have any advice on sculpting ears?

just seems like saying it looks like an easter island head or "to be or not to be... not to be"
as for me, i never even tried to make a sculpt, so my comment costs less than a zero, don't pay attention to it.
By the way does anyone have any advice on sculpting ears?
take any cheap 1/6 head, cut the ears off and glue it to your sculpt?

p.s. take these pics and copy the sculpt. there is no need to ask "what is wrong" if you can see the variant that is really correct. somebody did it, you will manage too.

as for me, i never even tried to make a sculpt, so my comment costs less than a zero, don't pay attention to it.
take any cheap 1/6 head, cut the ears off and glue it to your sculpt?

LOL What i'm trying to do is get better at sculpting... I don't think stealing ppl's ears will help! :rotfl May be a good idea if I can't get the ears right... Although I can't glue the ears onto the clay so I'd have to cut the ears of my sculpt, mold it, cast it in resin, glue other ears onto the cast, and mold and cast that... Might just work tho...

Back