Terminator 2019. Any new information?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, next to nothing compared to the benefits on the back end(they do it all the time anyway for home release where they really see no extra revenue). R rating does not just add "gratuitous sex and violence", and even if it did people might prefer that and go see a movie they otherwise wouldn't.

A movie rating that allows entire families or groups of friends to enjoy watching a movie together, in the theater, is going to put more "asses in the seats" than one with a more restricted rating. The studios are always hedging their bets on what's going to sell more tickets in the theater. If it's not absolutely necessary to the context of the story line to release a movie with a restricted rating,then you don't need multiple rated versions to meet different markets.

Multiple rated versions of a movie result in also needing to create and store multiple files of a film and then needing to load the appropriate files onto multiple hard drives for distribution to the all those theaters in all those different markets.

It might come as a surprise to you,but most of the "profit" comes with the redistribution to the home market via streaming and physical media.Plus you have the licensing and merchandising aspect. The ticket sales at the theater are mainly to recoup the cost of making the movie IE. repaying investors. And yes, if it's a highly successful film, as far as ticket sales are concerned,profit from the additional ticket sales are also added to the mix.

Redistribution to the home market would be where a "director's cut", "age restricted" or an "unrated" version would stand the best chance of being more cost effective.

A movie rating that allows entire families or groups of friends to enjoy watching a movie together, in the theater, is going to put more "asses in the seats" than one with a more restricted rating. The studios are always hedging their bets on what's going to sell more tickets in the theater. If it's not absolutely necessary to the context of the story line to release a movie with a restricted rating,then you don't need multiple rated versions to meet different markets.

Multiple rated versions of a movie result in also needing to create and store multiple files of a film and then needing to load the appropriate files onto multiple hard drives for distribution to the all those theaters in all those different markets.

It might come as a surprise to you,but most of the "profit" comes with the redistribution to the home market via streaming and physical media.Plus you have the licensing and merchandising aspect. The ticket sales at the theater are mainly to recoup the cost of making the movie IE. repaying investors. And yes, if it's a highly successful film, as far as ticket sales are concerned,profit from the additional ticket sales are also added to the mix.

Redistribution to the home market would be where a "director's cut", "age restricted" or an "unrated" version would stand the best chance of being more cost effective.

Yes, but those who don't want a rating influencing the making of the film don't care that it will get more people in the seats, it can ruin a movie experience when they hold back just to get a lower rating. If we had the choice to see it without being watered down for "entire families", which many families have different views on what's appropriate anyway, then it in theory would get more "butts in seats". Families go to whatever rating they want, adults another.

Needing multiple versions "stored"(storage is very cheap anyway), would not be needed, they could simply employ digital branching instead.

If we are talking specifically about films like a Terminator movie, then yes, ticket sales are just a piece of the total gross, but still very important, and if people don't like it at the theater, they sure won't be buying as many dvds or merch(just go read any genysis thread here, all those contain people moaning the movie isn't good so they won't even give the merch a chance) . All I am saying is why not at least try it. If you are going to end up having 3 or 4 cuts of the movie anyway start in the theater instead of just for home use.

Yes, but those who don't want a rating influencing the making of the film don't care that it will get more people in the seats, it can ruin a movie experience when they hold back just to get a lower rating.

Those would be a minority of people,not the majority.The studio cares more about what will put more people in the seats than anything else.They survive on revenue and the studio isn't going to spend the time and money for the few minority of people who believe that a restricted rated version of a movie is the true artistic vision of it.

Those would be a minority of people,not the majority, and the studio isn't going to spend the time and money for the few minority of people who think that a restricted rated version of the movie is the true artistic vision of it.

Do you have terminator fan statistics? I would bet otherwise based on the subject matter and the fact that more movies are R than not overall.

The terminator fan base is a very small cross section of the movie viewing public.The studios produce more rated R movies,but those don't make anywhere near the bulk of the profit compared with the other rated movies that are produced. Many of the rated R movies are also smaller budget movies with a larger profit margin to be made because of the reduced costs to produce those.

Sort of agree. With no Arnold, its simply not a Terminator movie, Unless its based on the future war with lots of Endoskeletons based on original T1 / T2 design and Not on the new crappy ones!
Without Arnold it could be a terminator movie just fine.

And if the future war isn't set at the very end of the war, then there wouldn't be any endoskeletons or terminators. In war, you don't call something that's older than 6 months to a year new, as Reese does in T1. That's another reason Salvation was so moronic. It kept ******** on established things, like T3 started.

The terminator fan base is a very small cross section of the movie viewing public.Look at the similar Predator franchise movie fan base.According to the fan base,the first film was the best,but it didn't even generate a profit until recently! You can bet the home market brought it up to that point! Those movies have not been very profitable, even with the strong fan base.

The studios produce more rated R movies,but those don't make anywhere near the bulk of the profit compared with the other rated movies that are produced. Many of the rated R movies are also smaller budget movies with a larger profit margin to be made because of the reduced costs.

Yes, but how much of that has to do with the rating itself? If those same R rated movies were available at a lower rating too, more people could/would see them.

Where did you see that BS about the 1st Pred movie? It covered budget almost on opening weekend alone.

Yes, but how much of that has to do with the rating itself? If those same R rated movies were available at a lower rating too, more people could/would see them.

Where did you see that BS about the 1st Pred movie? It covered budget almost on opening weekend alone.

The BS apparently came from a making of documentary that I saw a few years ago.Someone mentioned in the documentary that it didn't make a profit until recent years. According to the numbers on the web it made $12,031,638 on it's opening weekend and the production budget for the film was $18,000,000?

So,I don't know why the documentary I saw said it wasn't profitable until long after it was released. I'll edit my post then.

The BS apparently came from a making of documentary that I saw a few years ago.Someone mentioned in the documentary that it didn't make a profit until recent years. According to the numbers on the web it made $12,031,638 on it's opening weekend and the production budget for the film was $18,000,000?

So,I don't know why the documentary I saw said it wasn't profitable until long after it was released. I'll edit my post then.
Interesting, was it one of the ones on the Blu-ray extras?

The "Fanatics" make up a small cross section of the movie going public.

The bulk of those lower budget rated R movies are horror flicks. That genre pretty much requires the imagery and language,which is essential to the story line, that puts them under the rated R banner. Most other genres don't require that level of imagery or language to tell the story. If it doesn't add anything essential to the story and restricts the market it can be shown in,then why would the studio waste the money and time? The studio is worried more about the bottom line and not necessarily the "fanatics" or the overall artistic vision.

Interesting, was it one of the ones on the Blu-ray extras?

I believe it was a production documentary that was uploaded to Youtube. It also talked about Jean-Claude Van Damme being hired to perform in the original concept design of the predator suit that was later rejected for the creature design that we now see in the film.

I'll try to see if I can find it.

This documentary isn't exactly the same as the one I previously watched,but it has much of the same content. This video was uploaded a few years ago.However, the documentary is dated 2001.

Skip to 27:58 in the video where both John Davis and John Mctiernan make mention of it's cost.

Make of it what you will....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MEJYgjVw54

Back