Tatooine Scene: Searching for Droids

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome work on the dio...i drool on those sand troopers...I really want to have one.

How long does the wood filler takes to dry with a thin application?

:D

Hey furrydee. Yeah, I know...the Marmits are sort of hard to find and a lot of fun to look at.

The wood filler dries in minutes, depending on the temperatures..with a very thin layer, just to color and make look like a top layer of sand. The other areas where it's in small mounds takes just a bit longer.......around 30-60 minutes in Hawaii weather. When I work on it outdoors it's much faster.

Also, what i did in some areas was cover it with a spray paint to seal up the base I was using, it allows me to lay on the woodfiller with a heavy water base....which gives it the natural sand look. The heave water application allows the wood filler to settle and rest naturally, as sand would.

I used textured paint by Rustoleum. It gives the sand a darker brown dirt base that you can put your sand on top of, sort of like the earth having different mixtures of soil. Sand typically blows over the harder surfaces so it's cool to leave some areas darker, as if it was harder packed. This is also where i sprinkled on some light sand to give the surface more texture in some areas.

Here's the brand I used.

https://www.truevalue.com/mobilePro...umn-Brown-12-oz/pc/13/c/191/sc/2894/46332.uts

Last edited:
awesome...thanks for the tips. I will surely be able to use this one. Hopefully, our weather here will cooperate. BeforeI use a kind of filler that takes days to fully dry, but again, maybe its the weather.

:exactly: :goodpost:

Wonderful stuff Will, awesome.

Thanks much, Chris. And I see that i owe a happy blated birthday. Sorry for missing it, brother. i'm sure it was an awesome one.

With Aloha...

Will

Those are movie stills!!

Thanks Kamandi....that means a lot. By no means do they touch the work of Feroze, Flying Ducthman, or the amazing work of Dorgmal Snow. But, iM having fun....and loving the process....

Last edited:
awesome...thanks for the tips. I will surely be able to use this one. Hopefully, our weather here will cooperate. BeforeI use a kind of filler that takes days to fully dry, but again, maybe its the weather.

Hey furrydee, I just stumbled onto pictures of your Jon Snow. Awesome work! That's art! Keep me posted on your work, please.

:hi5:

Omg...undiscovered behind the scenes images from ANH!!!!

Aww, man. Thanks ducthman! It means a lot coming from you, my friend.

wow really awesome!!

Thanks so much for peeking and the kind words, I really appreciate it.

Hi Solo, thanks a lot. I did it before I got the Star Wars Bug. I now am awaiting 4 figures from the states LOL, and I just won a Marmit Storm Trooper off ebay, at i think a decent price. Luckily I guess. I want to convert them to sandtroopers as I am inspired by the customs here around the boards. :D

play times over..what are you planning on doing next? can't wait to see...and you better have something good planned.....huh huh? ohh..how about docking bay 94? where the sandies are shooting at the falcon? do the entrance? that'd be so cool...

be llike..hold it right there...peeeuu..peewww..peezzzing.....let's get out of here....peeewwww...peewwww..(that's laser blasts, btw...i really should be sewing, im sure...sorry :()

dock_zps7063da8a.jpg

play times over..what are you planning on doing next? can't wait to see...and you better have something good planned.....huh huh? ohh..how about docking bay 94? where the sandies are shooting at the falcon? do the entrance? that'd be so cool...

be llike..hold it right there...peeeuu..peewww..peezzzing.....let's get out of here....peeewwww...peewwww..(that's laser blasts, btw...i really should be sewing, im sure...sorry :()

dock_zps7063da8a.jpg

Dude....that's awesome. LOL.

What ever the next project, it's got to be all peeuu ...peewww.. pezzzing.... That's a fo sho!!

Thanks, my friend. Had a lot of fun working on those little light cylinders. They look better in the dark. Working on the cathode tubes was stressing me out.

This projet is so amazing man, and was very helpful and motivating!

I'm working on a dio similar to yours, but in a different scales. Working on the wall texture and the door atm :

Back