Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have happily paid $400 if this had a metal dome. It would have been a no brainer. Now, I have no idea which R2 to get, HT or this one....

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The dome was the breaking point for me after seeing them back to back in person. The HT has the look I'm going for. I like the rest of the ANH details on the Tamashii, but the dome killed it for me.

I would have happily paid $400 if this had a metal dome. It would have been a no brainer. Now, I have no idea which R2 to get, HT or this one....

That, along with the visible rivets (which personally I just don't like) has me teetering as well. But right now given the price difference on top of everything else, I'm leaning more Hot Toys way, though I still need to see more pics first.

I only need and ever want to buy one R2-D2, so I want to be sure I'll be happy with whichever one I do go with.

It's a really strange choice - if you're going to sell a "die-cast metal 1/6 3PO and R2" why would you make the one thing that's obviously metal on R2.... out of painted plastic? Very odd decision.

There are plastic parts on 3PO, but they are more to do with articulation points/joints. With the R2 dome, there's no such "need" to have made it plastic.

I agree. It is so heavy and cool and then you have to touch the dome as that is where the activation buttons are and I was like, what is this? why? And I noticed the seams in hand immediately. They did not make sense to me at all. If they switched out that dome to a die cast, seamless dome I would be all over this but at that price I don't think I am going to be able to do it.

It's a really strange choice - if you're going to sell a "die-cast metal 1/6 3PO and R2" why would you make the one thing that's obviously metal on R2.... out of painted plastic? Very odd decision.

There are plastic parts on 3PO, but they are more to do with articulation points/joints. With the R2 dome, there's no such "need" to have made it plastic.
And the original prototype had a metal dome! Must have been a manufacturing issue...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Are there two versions of this R2? It looks like there were two different figures on display; one with the rivets partially filled in to look more screen accurate.

I agree with consensus on this figure. The seams and rivets are annoying. It's also unfortunate that the dome isn't die-cast, when the body is. It's a peculiar decision, but I could live with that. However, the seams and rivets are a deal breaker for me. If they aren't sorted out, I'll likely wait for Hot Toys to release ANH R2.

Rivets are accurate to the scene. To each his own I guess. Again, I think the plastic dome has more to do with what they wanted to do with the engineering of the battery and sound/lights being in the dome. I'm sure the HT one will be a fine figure, but this one is all types of oowee. Can't wait to get it.

Rivets are accurate to the scene. To each his own I guess. Again, I think the plastic dome has more to do with what they wanted to do with the engineering of the battery and sound/lights being in the dome. I'm sure the HT one will be a fine figure, but this one is all types of oowee. Can't wait to get it.

If you look at the two pictures of the Tamashii R2 posted, the version with the rivets partially filled in is accurate. The deeper rivets cast too much shadow. They look wrong. I didn't even know there were rivets until the Blu Ray version of the OT was released. They're very subtle. I can live with the dome being plastic, but not the seam. I'll wait to see reviews once the figure is released. I have the Tamashii C3PO so I'd really like to get their R2 as well.

Right now I am mostly curious on the dimension compared to the Sideshow one. Always felt that was slightly undersized and it looks like HT is the same.

That's the rub right there. 3PO is an amazing figure so I naturally want his companion to be of similar quality/impact.

Yep, that would be so nice.

this is a comparison shot that was posted before in this thread.

Tamashii left, SSC right

IMG_2919.JPG

it looks as the Tama and HT are going to be aprox same heigh. If you look in the HT thread, comparison shots with the SSC show aprox. the same difference.

this is a comparison shot that was posted before in this thread.

Tamashii left, SSC right

View attachment 357716

it looks as the Tama and HT are going to be aprox same heigh. If you look in the HT thread, comparison shots with the SSC show aprox. the same difference.

Based on the posted comp pics next to the SSC, the Tama looks to be a little taller than the HT (which appears to be only a couple of mm taller than the SSC) but the sad thing is, neither the Tama nor the HT are a noticeably larger in height or girth over the SSC.

Metal domes, improved detailing and paint apps aside, what I've been really wanting is an R2 that looks spot-on proportionately next to figs like 3PO and Luke (the SSC R2 clearly isn't,) and so far it seems that neither the HT nor the Tama are that figure.:(

Maybe the pics seen so far have some lens distortion and upcoming in-hand pics next to those key figures will prove otherwise.

Based on the posted comp pics next to the SSC, the Tama looks to be a little taller than the HT (which appears to be only a couple of mm taller than the SSC) but the sad thing is, neither the Tama nor the HT are a noticeably larger in height or girth over the SSC.

Metal domes, improved detailing and paint apps aside, what I've been really wanting is an R2 that looks spot-on proportionately next to figs like 3PO and Luke (the SSC R2 clearly isn't,) and so far it seems that neither the HT nor the Tama are that figure.:(

Maybe the pics seen so far have some lens distortion and upcoming in-hand pics next to those key figures will prove otherwise.

All the pics we've seen (both Tamashii + SS and HT + SS) show them pretty close together, so you'd think any lens distortion would apply equally to the two. The Tama does seem to have a mm or two on the HT, which seems to have a mm on the SS. If the proportions are right, every increase in height brings a greater increase in overall volume... but it still doesn't seem enough for what we want.

Makes me wonder if there's some sort of odd licensing edict that all of the various manufacturers have had to comply with that is leading to pretty much the same scaling across the board (give or take a few mm)...

Makes me wonder if there's some sort of odd licensing edict that all of the various manufacturers have had to comply with that is leading to pretty much the same scaling across the board (give or take a few mm)...

Dunno... tha Taito clock managed to get pretty close, while medicom made theirs almost 1/7. I'm kinda blaming the designers on this one.

Yeah, I call it "huge evil Vader" and "little cute R2" to explain why we keep getting over-tall Vaders and too-short R2's - over and over. The size of these two new R2's (and the latest HT Vader) confirms at least to me this is an actual policy.

Dunno... tha Taito clock managed to get pretty close, while medicom made theirs almost 1/7. I'm kinda blaming the designers on this one.

The Taito is really the only 1/6 R2 that captures his height and volume. But... it's a clock so the body/dome sculpt isn't all that sharp or accurate in terms of smaller details.

I had set aside my two Taitos as background droids but looks like maybe I'll try to turn one into a "hero" 1/6 R2 to go with my Tama 3PO. He'd have to be fairly weathered to cover the slightly soft/inaccurate sculpt.

Yeah, I call it "huge evil Vader" and "little cute R2" to explain why we keep getting over-tall Vaders and too-short R2's - over and over. The size of these two new R2's (and the latest HT Vader) confirms at least to me this is an actual policy.

The Taito is really the only 1/6 R2 that captures his height and volume. But... it's a clock so the body/dome sculpt isn't all that sharp or accurate in terms of smaller details.

I had set aside my two Taitos as background droids but looks like maybe I'll try to turn one into a "hero" 1/6 R2 to go with my Tama 3PO. He'd have to be fairly weathered to cover the slightly soft/inaccurate sculpt.

Do you have a SS r2? I'd love to see the Taito clock next to him.

Just reading through this thread as was looking at getting an R2D2 though not sure which one.

I liked the sound of the all diecast which I now see is not, very strange to have the majority diecast and not the dome I must say.

It is. Some brave soul will Frankenstein this one with the HT version for an ultimate experience R2. :lecture

Back