Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluefin's website shows the R2 with a lot of HT figures if you're interested.

Are there any pics of the Tama 3PO and Tama R2 side-by-side in neutral poses like those pics?

What's a bit of a bummer is that at a quick glance the Tama R2 seems bigger than the SSC R2 but if you look closer, the difference is not that great (the body itself appears to measure about 2mm longer/taller.) The "under-feet area" (or I guess wheels area) of the Tama is a tad bigger than the SSC, so that accounts for maybe 1/3 of the difference, along with a bit more of a gap between the lower body and the feet.

If you look at the domes, they don't look hugely different - the SSC may even look a bit wider.

I'm pretty bummed about the fact that neither the HT or the Tama R2's seem to be noticeably taller/"fatter" than the SSC - which always looks too small to me on the shelf next to other 1/6 figs.

Chogokin-R2-D2-05.jpg

I can't understand why they are making the dome plastic it baffles me it doesn't any make sense with being Tammashii as well I think they have made a massive error and it could be costly.
I think this one will be the best version with size and detail from the film ANH but once you have seen metal dome on the HT's version I think everybody's gonna go
for HT's.

Like DCFett, I have little doubt that the decision to make the dome out of plastic stems from having to house the electronics independent of the body.

You know Lejuan, I thought this but the HT is built the same I believe. Maybe it has something to do with slicensing. Could be possible they Lucasfilm made them do one plastic dome and one diecast because they were both coming out at the same time and they needed them to be different. Who knows????

Oh... well there goes that theory then :lol

At the same time, the license for this was secured well before HT even announced theirs. The Tamashii proto looked diecast too, so I'm still inclined to believe that it was a manufacturing/design decision.

At the same time, the license for this was secured well before HT even announced theirs. The Tamashii proto looked diecast too, so I'm still inclined to believe that it was a manufacturing/design decision.

Well at the Lucasfilm panel, it's pretty clear that they control the product offerings in this manner. It's up to the licensees to come up with the differentiators, which is harder and harder to do. AFi did a panel on this very topic to explain why things like chair capes get made. It could be that yes, Tama was in development, but remember, that was BEFORE the Disney purchase. HT was up and running out of the gate in that licensing frenzy, while SS was slow to start and frankly, Tama was left hanging in the wind for a long time. Perhaps HT was asked to make it part of their TFA line while Tama was given the green light to finish their developemnt, but with the caveat that the two R2s needed to be uniquely different offerings. Just connecture. It's also odd that Tama seems out of the 1/6 SW game and perhaps was just only allowed a limited slicense to finish their R2. No mention of any additional die cast droids. Maybe HT planned diecast droids too and are just waiting to get past 3PO and R2.

I'm just reading back in this thread... Am I reading correctly that the HT R2 will have a plastic body with a metal dome, and the Tamashii one will have a metal body, but a plastic dome??? :slap I pray I'm reading this wrong... I have the Tamashii C3PO, and held the Tamashii R2 in my hands at SWC in April. I recall it being full metal. Did they change it, or did I just not notice?

I'm just reading back in this thread... Am I reading correctly that the HT R2 will have a plastic body with a metal dome, and the Tamashii one will have a metal body, but a plastic dome??? :slap I pray I'm reading this wrong... I have the Tamashii C3PO, and held the Tamashii R2 in my hands at SWC in April. I recall it being full metal. Did they change it, or did I just not notice?

The Tamashii R2 dome is indeed plastic. Boggles the mind, doesn't it? Also, photos of the prototype suggest there's a giant, quite visible seam down the front of it. I've got the Tamashii C3PO as well, but I'm waiting for a Hot Toys R2 from ANH.

Don't say that collectors don't have a choice. We get everything we want, just not in the one figure.

I don't think the full die cast body is necessarily interesting to me. Just the dome. That being said, the clean Tama R2 might have been interesting given the 3PO is clean.

Got an update from Nippon-Yasan today. Expected release date moved from september 30th to ... september 29th :p

Back