Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. It's more detailed, better paint job, it moves electronically, lights up and makes sounds. It's negatives are its in a fixed position, the center leg does not retract, it has the clock in front so you can see the seams, no cool R2 features and it might be a tad shorter. I'm getting the Taito anyway...going to custom paint it and compare. Out of the box this one is better..except for the clock seams.

Last edited:
Here's a couple more junky pics..

5B46CE31-BF63-48CE-B2DA-CAE9201B07D4-354-000000CE70719975_zps56e97e9a.jpg

Looks great man! Which R2 is that? Nice work on the door too.

Looks great man! Which R2 is that? Nice work on the door too.

Thanks, door is still in progress....as is the weathering on the building/door/entrance.

Here's the link:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/STAR-R2-D2-Action-Alarm-Clock/dp/B008MENJGI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_o6Axrb0E3TH3Q_tt[/ame]

And some more pics..
587AA17E-2140-40CB-B947-07B5837581FA-354-0000010D610E64CB_zps61ec3039.jpg

FA33A687-CD66-421C-B274-D8FBE5B056F5-354-0000010D5E050786_zpsa29122c6.jpg

DE9556DA-2809-43BB-A252-8261652D6857-354-00000112134ED0A5_zps046e9590.jpg

F4942313-E34D-4BF2-9EDC-32A6D7F7BCCD-354-0000011215BC9DAC_zpsc579887f.jpg

455E1236-714E-4EA0-B3C0-9045525CEAF2-354-0000011210AAC44E_zpsfe26d4a4.jpg

Last edited:
I bet they are particles of dust/debris caught in the invisible oil coating on 3PO Lejuan.

Mine had some too, what looked like tiny scratches were actually tiny fibres on the surface. rub them with your finger and see if they go.

Yeh, that was my first impression, that the thing was covered in scratches, and as I rubbed the surface, as you say, they "disappeared". But after getting rid of those I still have a tiny nick on one of the raised rims of the circular abdominal section, and some very minor blistering on the right flank. It is very minor, almost imperceptible, but it's there.

It's a new day here, and opening the package again, those details are too minor to care about. I've just noticed that my overall enjoyment of the unboxing experience has taken a hit in recent years as my initial mindset is to look for any QC issues - so any new figure that I get immediately gets scanned for the most minute flaws that are then amplified until I calm the **** down :lol

It's more than justified with the price tag though. :wink1:

Congrats on getting yours Lejuan! :hi5:

Thanks Vintij! My collection is mostly at my work office, and I'll be taking this along today to ceremoniously place on a clear spot on a shelf. A spot, I might add, that will not be properly filled until R2 assumes a rightful position alongside 3PO :)

Are you going to introduce a temporary R2, such as a Taito option, or other??? I just couldn't see him standing alone.....it wasn't right.

Nah. I have an R2 clock but it'd need a sand and repaint before I could fool myself that they belonged together. I'm patient, I can wait for a year or so for a better match :)

Yes. It's more detailed, better paint job, it moves electronically, lights up and makes sounds. It's negatives are its in a fixed position, the center leg does not retract, it has the clock in front so you can see the seams, no cool R2 features and it might be a tad shorter. I'm getting the Taito anyway...going to custom paint it and compare. Out of the box this one is better..except for the clock seams.

:clap I own this droid also, it's actually the size of the hasbro R2 with taller legs. Still a cool piece with more screen & fine details than the hasbro/taito R2. Congrat on your collection, Solo.:)

Awesome to see someone else made the purchase as well. It actually looks a lot better in person, vs the photos I am taking. I didn't realize it used the Hasbro mold. Hasbro's looked a lot smaller to me.

Thanks again, and would love to see how you posed yours.

:clap I own this droid also, it's actually the size of the hasbro R2 with taller legs. Still a cool piece with more screen & fine details than the hasbro/taito R2. Congrat on your collection, Solo.:)

I thought it looked a bit elongated/thin in the pictures, that explains it then.

I laughed a little when I heard the sounds, it's just missing a hologram feature and it would be almost perfect "-Help me Obi-wan Kenobi you're my only hope".

A few more days and I can order a C-3PO. :hi5:

Are you going to introduce a temporary R2, such as a Taito option, or other??? I just couldn't see him standing alone.....it wasn't right.
I know you asked Lejuan - but speaking for myself, I've never been into the 'place holder' idea.

This is precisely why my collection is small & focused. I just buy things I genuinely really want & would love to own. :)

I can respect those positions, especially when displaying in your office, or if you have a very limited selection. I have a limited selection, but I am building dios for my figures, so the dio I created was not complete without a temporary R2. Also, I knew I could bring the action clock to work once I purchased a Tamashi version, should it be acceptable.

In Tokyo for business, and went around toy hunting after meetings today. Saw a few of this 3PO for around 22000 yen used (about $230US) in stores. If I actually saw one below 20000 yen, I would have picked one up. But then I come by a Bandai display at a department store and they have this on the showcase. I have to say, after seeing the real deal, my price on it has dropped to 15000 yen. Probably because it is die cast, the surface is just not smooth at all, making the gold color not reflective-shiny and that kinda breaks the interest for me. I know a lot of you are praising how heavy it feels when you hold it in hand, but by the end of the day, this will just be standing on my shelf and I will not be holding it from time to time. I have the Medicom 3PO (first non-talking version, so there is no annoying belly slots) and I absolutely love that gold finish. But the 12"PM one has a better scale to other figures, so if they price drops down to around the 15000 yen level, I will probably pick one up. In the mean time, I will just wait....

For those who are seeing this done for the first time, please disregard my initial attempts at doing this mod with that colored cellophane wrapping and colored file folders. A figure of this quality demands the use of professional lighting gels, especially if you want the color just right.

Just to catch up those who are still waiting to receive the gels I made from my excess material, I found another lighting company and got hold of a different swatch-book of gels than the first one I got. I also took some time to really study the color of C-3PO's eyes as they looked in the movies instead of just relying on a Google image search. It's amazing to see how they varied not just in brightness but in hue, from a pale yellow to amber to a warm orange (I think this sort of explains why it's so difficult to take a photo where the eye color doesn't wash out). As a result, it's taken me a little longer to decide which ones to cut and finally send out to everyone.

Anyway, if anyone else wants to undergo this exercise in madness, you can purchase a swatch-book from Gam Products at https://www.gamonline.com/catalog/swatchbooks/swatchbooks.php or find a Rosco location (where these swatch-books are handed out for free!) at https://www.rosco.com/US/wtb/index.cfm?SellableItemID=

Finally got to take a crack at this and did a little mod video tutorial. Nothing special but I think it gets the point across.Thanks again Phil! Your a stand up guy in my book! :duff

[ame]https://youtu.be/NnA0N2WqI8E[/ame]

Back