Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but maybe in a better way. I am always amazed by how you guys can be so attentive and particular about the details.

As a noob, seriously I just can't make out the differences or maybe I just can't be bothered by the inaccuracies because I don't have such sharp eyes like some of you in here man. :lol
My eyes will never be as sharp as some of those on the boards (and to some degree it depends on how invested you are in the character, too... a lot of stuff I just can't be bothered to know) but I have definitely found that over time certain inaccuracies become more and more glaring.

did the eye mod yesterday courtesy of PJB-1138's film gels. i went with the lighter color and already looks 100% better. tonight i'm going to switch to the darker color he sent & take a look at that. may even try both at once. not a hard mod at all but a delicate one, so be careful & easy on the retightening of the screws........:)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what eye mod are you talking about?

They're adding a translucent colored film to the eyes to shift their color - so-called a gel in photography and lighting circles.

This is my favorite of all the star wars figures the detail is great plus I had a coupon from the site I bought him on for $339.99 shipped im happy I love it. I hope they make r2-d2 It would be great if they included those boots so it can be the costume r2-d2 ive always liked that look better. No matter what ill buy it.:wink1:

Might as well post these again.
Tamashii_Nations_C-3PO_R2-D2_NYCC-10_zps850b0d23.jpg
Tamashii_Nations_C-3PO_R2-D2_NYCC-11_zpsbdf632b1.jpg
NYCC12-Tamashii-Star-Wars-007_1349980675_zps0aa7759d.jpg
NYCC12-Tamashii-Star-Wars-006_1349980675_zpse44ec2eb.jpg
NYCC12-Tamashii-Star-Wars-005_1349980675_zps3fe4a2f6.jpg
Cj1BT9vRtjygfyr3jVL9sw_zps9053d032.jpg
618_movies_star_wars_c_3po_r2_d2_zpscb512ee9.jpg

For those who are seeing this done for the first time, please disregard my initial attempts at doing this mod with that colored cellophane wrapping and colored file folders. A figure of this quality demands the use of professional lighting gels, especially if you want the color just right.

Just to catch up those who are still waiting to receive the gels I made from my excess material, I found another lighting company and got hold of a different swatch-book of gels than the first one I got. I also took some time to really study the color of C-3PO's eyes as they looked in the movies instead of just relying on a Google image search. It's amazing to see how they varied not just in brightness but in hue, from a pale yellow to amber to a warm orange (I think this sort of explains why it's so difficult to take a photo where the eye color doesn't wash out). As a result, it's taken me a little longer to decide which ones to cut and finally send out to everyone.

Anyway, if anyone else wants to undergo this exercise in madness, you can purchase a swatch-book from Gam Products at https://www.gamonline.com/catalog/swatchbooks/swatchbooks.php or find a Rosco location (where these swatch-books are handed out for free!) at https://www.rosco.com/US/wtb/index.cfm?SellableItemID=

For those who are seeing this done for the first time, please disregard my initial attempts at doing this mod with that colored cellophane wrapping and colored file folders. A figure of this quality demands the use of professional lighting gels, especially if you want the color just right.

Just to catch up those who are still waiting to receive the gels I made from my excess material, I found another lighting company and got hold of a different swatch-book of gels than the first one I got. I also took some time to really study the color of C-3PO's eyes as they looked in the movies instead of just relying on a Google image search. It's amazing to see how they varied not just in brightness but in hue, from a pale yellow to amber to a warm orange (I think this sort of explains why it's so difficult to take a photo where the eye color doesn't wash out). As a result, it's taken me a little longer to decide which ones to cut and finally send out to everyone.

Anyway, if anyone else wants to undergo this exercise in madness, you can purchase a swatch-book from Gam Products at https://www.gamonline.com/catalog/swatchbooks/swatchbooks.php or find a Rosco location (where these swatch-books are handed out for free!) at https://www.rosco.com/US/wtb/index.cfm?SellableItemID=
Thanks for the update PJB, I appreciate the research and time taken to get the color just right. I'm waiting patiently to get the color swatch from you, take all the time you need, you're doing me a favor!

This is my favorite of all the star wars figures the detail is great plus I had a coupon from the site I bought him on for $339.99 shipped im happy I love it. I hope they make r2-d2 It would be great if they included those boots so it can be the costume r2-d2 ive always liked that look better. No matter what ill buy it.:wink1:

Coupon for that much off?

After some struggle, here's the best photo I could take of the color I finally settled on for C-3PO's eye modification:

Eyes08_zps59cf5f68.jpg

How does it compare to the real thing?

uloge35.jpg

I got mine off eBay for $350.00 shipped and had a 10% off coupon which brought it down to $315.00.

Was inspecting mine more closely and noticed a couple of scuffs to the paint. Not too noticable as one area is on the back and the other is on the right lower leg.

One 3-PO to rule them ALL. This IS an AWESOME figure! Lifting this piece out of the box and feeling the weight, looking at all the detail, the wires, you'd be crazy to pass this one up. I've been collecting for over 15 years. This is one of those figures that will stay in the collection for a very long time. For me, permanently. I think it just became my most favorite Star Wars collectible. I'm really glad I didn't order the SS premium format. And even though medicom's talks, the joy of holding this thing is just awesome. Quality made. Money definitely well spent. Bandai has set the bar for 3-PO, and it will be hard to beat. It's made of METAL!!

Back