Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaand it's back in stock at AmiAmi, what's with that back and forth? I might cave in and buy this, but have to wait for my credit card to roll over for a fresh new month first (yes that's the sorry excuse for a man I am). :gah:

The PF does look off in a few ways doesn't it.. :lol

I took a look at the PF and was kinda surprised at how off it looked! I skimmed through the thread and was equally surprised that there didn't seem to be that much complaining or dissatisfaction for the sculpt and design of the piece.

Personally I think the Tama is fantastic. I too swore I wouldn't get it because of the price and because I figured Sideshow would get to it eventually for a lower price. But seeing the in-hand pictures, and being able to get it from Japan at a better price, totally convinced me. I've kept my focus very tight and see this figure as a more than worthy inclusion.

Eamon had Brant Bridges from Sideshow Toys on his Hottoycast and Brant mentioned that a fully loaded R2 was coming soon, which I thought was strange. First off, why start with R2? And secondly, if it's "soon", they will compete with the upcoming Tama version. Do they really want to have those 2 options going head to head?

I'm more than willing to consider either of the two R2's to complete my pair. If Sideshow's comes out perfect scale wise and sculpt wise with loads of extras (like Brant said), then I'd be okay with mixing materials (Sideshow's plastic vs Tama's metal). However if Tama's is noticeably better scale wise and sculpt wise, with a better finish (and they fix the dome finish), then I might be willing to get it even if it has less extras and more expensive. I never thought I'd say that but this Threepio figure is simply so impressive in real life. You really see that it's something special.

So then, what about Sideshow's Threepio? Will he be coming after R2 or will they both be shown at the same time? I said this earlier in the thread: I ultimately think Sideshow shot themselves in the foot by letting Tama go first. It will have to be a damn great figure to get everyone who just bought the Tama version to consider getting the Sideshow one. And even those who didn't, if Sideshow's Threepio is noticeably worse than the Tama, everyone may end up rejecting their version and try to secure a Tama instead. But who knows? We've speculated that Sideshow might even use the molds, or at least the design schematics, to produce their own plastic version. So Sideshow's may end up just as good as Tama's exept in plastic and cheaper.

Yeah, good points Lu. :lecture

Those of us that own the Tamashii 3PO - we're golden (literally). :D

I couldn't care less about SSC's droids. I think it's fair to say, that going off our current 3PO - as far as R2 goes, we're laughing. Forget about the toy show pics, they just needed something on the floor to give folks an idea of what was in store. We were even speculating on 3PO's quality at that point - remember? :lol

Anyway, SSC's R2 might be a great little Swiss army knife version, but be lacking in fundamental details.. so who knows. It may well be significantly cheaper too, but I'll always pay for quality over the short cut version - & how can you top crazy detailed DIE-CAST droids? :rock

Wish I got it from amiami if its there now get it, i did hlj, very satisfied with the service but amiami is just as good and it's cheaper.

Nice figure, overrated and overpriced but beautiful. Never need another c3po that's for sure.

The eye mod was genius worked like a charm.

If it's all those lovely things you mention.. how is it overrated?

You've lost me there. :lol

It's indeed lovely but it's not as amazing as some here make it out to be, it's overpriced too just like the UU Han Solo.

My gripes with it is that some of the joints are loose, the legs should have moved, or something, though i know why it can't function wise, perhaps a sitting alternate swappable bottom half. For the price it should hav ecome with a couple extras like say a left arm socket with wires hanging out to replicate the scene from ANH and the sandpeople. Other than that it's great, great sculpt and looks realistic. I like the light up eyes. Like the clan look. wires in the stomach are great. Definitely glad I got it. I'd rate it about a 4/5

Lol you know it ;)

I also don't really consider price when I rate a figure it's a good thing because then it would be down another star.

But I generally don't give something a five if I see clear thigs that could have made it better. I recently said Carlito was a five because I really don't see how anythin could have been done to make it better aside from better paint. To me this threepio is just way too bare boned to be considerd a perfect figure. Threepio is just primed for so many possibilities . I like that they made it so that it could come apart but the extra mile would be to include socket plugs with wires coming out to replicate a busted look.

This is a cool figure one of the better things I own and better than anythin sideshow could offer that's for sure.

i think the only thing that i would have liked to see on this (besides a lower price.:wink1:) would have been an external light switch incorporated to look like a piece of the suit....(mentioned before)
other than that he seems to be the benchmark for all droids to follow regardless of the material they are made from.

i think the only thing that i would have liked to see on this (besides a lower price.:wink1:) would have been an external light switch incorporated to look like a piece of the suit....(mentioned before)
other than that he seems to be the benchmark for all droids to follow regardless of the material they are made from.

Actually i love how they did the switch, i don't find taking off the back of his head a problem in the slightest and I love how discrete it is.

Lol you know it ;)

I also don't really consider price when I rate a figure it's a good thing because then it would be down another star.

But I generally don't give something a five if I see clear thigs that could have made it better. I recently said Carlito was a five because I really don't see how anythin could have been done to make it better aside from better paint. To me this threepio is just way too bare boned to be considerd a perfect figure. Threepio is just primed for so many possibilities . I like that they made it so that it could come apart but the extra mile would be to include socket plugs with wires coming out to replicate a busted look.

This is a cool figure one of the better things I own and better than anythin sideshow could offer that's for sure.

I haven't really been following this thread, but I'd assume there will be variations released using this base. So, a likely reason for not including a cool accessory like the damaged arm, etc. is so they can gouge you on the 2nd and 3rd releases :lol

Back