Tamashii Movie Realization Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a bootleg Fett.
I do NOT recommend it. While paint is ok, the figure just falls apart even by looking at it.
All the parts fit very loosely. Of course you can try glue it all shut, and end up with a non-poseable figure.
But as I said - everything on it just falls off and falls apart.
NOT RECOMMENDED.

Just got a bootleg Fett.
I do NOT recommend it. While paint is ok, the figure just falls apart even by looking at it.
All the parts fit very loosely. Of course you can try glue it all shut, and end up with a non-poseable figure.
But as I said - everything on it just falls off and falls apart.
NOT RECOMMENDED.
I second that, I knowingly just got a bootleg Fett as well. I had not had a bootleg Taisho series yet and for $22 USA shipped, I figured it was worth just to see it. Here are some photos and my impressions:
Well how shall I describe the figure? I guess the best way is to say if Hasbro got the molds and started cranking these out, this is what it would look like. No dig at Hasbro really, it is just a simple fact the black series are at a lower price point and it shows. Mechanically, the joints are a bit looser than the real deal and the paint is much sloppier. The Bandai ones have a great deal of finesse and subtlety that the bootleg lacks. The details seem to be fine it is mainly the materials and paint applications. Now after saying that, these differences are really only noticible close up or with Macro digital photos. Looking at at it in a typical display, it would appear to be comparable to the real Bandai. So bottom line, it is worth $25 - $30 bucks, but not as art like the real deals are. This is not an endorsement of the bootlegs, just some info.

BBL 1.jpg
BBL 2.jpg
BBL 3.jpg
BBL 4.jpg
Alaso on the leg tools, I got two of one of the tools and one of the other daggery tool on the real deal is missing. I am not sure if this was a line problem (wrong one put in my box) or if all the bootleg Fetts are like that.

Last edited:
Paintjob is horible. Just look at helmet weathering and belt pouches.
What happened to his gloves? Boba the mechanic

I have them side by side on my shelf. Stormtroopers that is.
Bootleg has no celofane wraper. Box is clearly lower quality print. Not black but grayish. The details are there (inside script, the way the box is folded etc)
Instructions are officeprinter printed.
The smell of new plastic is different.
Figure is a bit wobbly especially in the middle part. You can streach it by 5-7mm. Shoulder joints come off every strike-a-pose session. It gets back, but is too sensitive.
Molding is the same as original. No errors, or missing details. Fabric Texure of black parts on stormtroopers (trousers and sleves) is the same. No excess plastic or run offs.
The problem is the quality of plastic. The same as with all bootlegs. It is softer, not as crisp in details as originals. Feel different to touch. (Sidenote: just saw "Space Wars" figures on touris promenade in Croatia. Original movie stormtrooper and c3po design, same fonts, but Space not Star wars logo. Oh yea the plastic is the same softer bootleg kind. Who are they kidding that this is not a problem)
Paint job is ok, but it has few problems. Bootlegs are not as white as originals, more half way to sandtroopers. There are some popped paint bubbles which got weatering treatment, and now standout. Some part od the figure has more weathering, some non at all. My has too much weathering on the shoes, none on one hand. Color spilling is not as bad as on Boba from previous posts. Overall very satisfied.
Weapons: sword details on hilt are not as good (probably remolding) It is a bit softer them orignal. Sheath comes appart too easily and is clearly made out of two plastic parts. The orignal looks almost as one part. Tanegashima (gun) is bad. Matchlock mechanism (**** mooving part) does not exist. The hole for it is there, but not thing else. Paintjob is horrible. Imagine paint by numbers by a 4yr old. Gunmetal is spilling over to wooden parts and viceversa. And you can not correct it by repainting as the plastic has problems with hoding modell paint in place. You have to put too many coats, and details are lost.

I bought mine for 15$ on ebay and they are worth just as much. Current equilibrium price is 25-30$ and is too much for what they offer even if you are building an army or customizing them. I am waiting on bootleg Boba (20$) to customize it to Jango (can not wait for original release ��)

Buy orignals an help us all get new releases sooner.

Bootleg has no celofane wraper. Box is clearly lower quality print. Not black but grayish. The details are there (inside script, the way the box is folded etc)
Figure is a bit wobbly especially in the middle part. You can streach it by 5-7mm. Shoulder joints come off every strike-a-pose session. It gets back, but is too sensitive.
Molding is the same as original. No errors, or missing details. Fabric Texure of black parts on stormtroopers (trousers and sleves) is the same. No excess plastic or run offs.
The problem is the quality of plastic. The same as with all bootlegs. It is softer, not as crisp in details as originals. Feel different to touch. (Sidenote: just saw "Space Wars" figures on touris promenade in Croatia. Original movie stormtrooper and c3po design, same fonts, but Space not Star wars logo. Oh yea the plastic is the same softer bootleg kind. Who are they kidding that this is not a problem)
Paint job is ok, but it has few problems. Bootlegs are not as white as originals, more half way to sandtroopers. There are some popped paint bubbles which got weatering treatment, and now standout. Some part od the figure has more weathering, some non at all. My has too much weathering on the shoes, none on one hand. Color spilling is not as bad as on Boba from previous posts. Overall very satisfied.
Weapons: sword details on hilt are not as good (probably remolding) It is a bit softer them orignal. Sheath comes appart too easily and is clearly made out of two plastic parts. The orignal looks almost as one part. Tanegashima (gun) is bad. Matchlock mechanism (**** mooving part) does not exist. The hole for it is there, but not thing else. Paintjob is horrible. Imagine paint by numbers by a 4yr old. Gunmetal is spilling over to wooden parts and viceversa. And you can not correct it by repainting as the plastic has problems with hoding modell paint in place. You have to put too many coats, and details are lost.

I bought mine for 15$ on ebay and they are worth just as much. Current equilibrium price is 25-30$ and is too much for what they offer even if you are building an army or customizing them. I am waiting on bootleg Boba (20$) to customize it to Jango (can not wait for original release ��)

Thanks for the review. Any chance of pics of the 2 side by side? I'm not interested in bootlegs, nor do I support them, but am curious about details and everything compared to originals

Thanks for the in-depth breakdown. It's great to know that I managed to get a legit Stormtrooper for ~£40 posted via auction. I absolutely love it, and I'm definitely interested in getting more, of which I'd happily pay the regular price of ~£70 now as I have a better idea of what I'm getting for my money.

Here's some more of Ashigaru Stormtrooper, including one versus a Figuarts ninja...well, close enough.
rpXQ2Gt.jpg

JOrakIH.jpg

I second that, I knowingly just got a bootleg Fett as well. I had not had a bootleg Taisho series yet and for $22 USA shipped, I figured it was worth just to see it. Here are some photos and my impressions:
Well how shall I describe the figure? I guess the best way is to say if Hasbro got the molds and started cranking these out, this is what it would look like. No dig at Hasbro really, it is just a simple fact the black series are at a lower price point and it shows. Mechanically, the joints are a bit looser than the real deal and the paint is much sloppier. The Bandai ones have a great deal of finesse and subtlety that the bootleg lacks. The details seem to be fine it is mainly the materials and paint applications. Now after saying that, these differences are really only noticible close up or with Macro digital photos. Looking at at it in a typical display, it would appear to be comparable to the real Bandai. So bottom line, it is worth $25 - $30 bucks, but not as art like the real deals are. This is not an endorsement of the bootlegs, just some info.

Alaso on the leg tools, I got two of one of the tools and one of the other daggery tool on the real deal is missing. I am not sure if this was a line problem (wrong one put in my box) or if all the bootleg Fetts are like that.

Just got a bootleg from Amazon Warehouse, which is disheartening to say the least. Not sure if it was a return or a damaged box from one of the other sellers, but now I'm wary of buying it from other sellers in general. If not for this post, I might have just chocked up the poor paint apps and loose fitting joints to a crappy design and just given up on the line (this was my first), but the other tell was that like yours, I had two of one tool and was missing a dagger. So thanks for that, and buyer beware!

I also got a Death Star Darth Vader in the same transaction from Amazon Warehouse, at least that seems legit, with a noticeable difference in the instructions and a much tighter figure overall. Not sure if this is common, but noticed the bootleg fett had a black plastic encasing, while the Vader had white, and the bootleg had the inner plastic taped, while the Vader was molded to lock in tightly. That may just be a packaging change in the line, though.

First time poster here. I own a bootleg Vader, stormtrooper, and Boba and do recommend them. While they do have problems, they can be fixed. I cannot compare them to the real figures as I do not own any.

Aside from several loose joints that needed some future and some minor rough paint apps, each figure shared some more serious problems. One was the laminar armor bands on the back of the helmets. They were all uneven, so I separated and re-glued the bands for each helmet.

The second problem is that the sword sheaths were all too narrow for the swords. If you tried to jam the swords in, they would at best not fit and at worst get stuck and scratched. I split the sheaths open (some insanely strong glue!), dremeled away just enough of the inside and re-glued them back together.

The third and biggest problem was the waist joint. The joint on these is a little complicated - its an inverse T peg inside a floating groin piece.
Like so:
XO4nxBM.jpg
The figures all come feeling really floppy. If you try to pop the figure at the waist, you'll find that instead of the upper ball pegging into the torso, the groin piece is glued to the torso, loosely holding the T and legs in place. If you pull the torso and groin apart, you can just pop the peg into the torso correctly (with more future) and the figure will feel WAY better and tighter.

These bootlegs are a bit of work out of the box, but as someone who appreciates the customizing aspect of collecting, I enjoyed the challenge. So yes, I do recommend these figures if you're ok expecting the above. Also, while I'd love to support an incredibly creative and well-executed line like Movie Realization, the fact is that these figures are well beyond my means and this is the only way that I'd ever be able to enjoy them.
And at the end of the day, they look incredible on my shelf :D

liw8FFa.jpg

First time poster here. I own a bootleg Vader, stormtrooper, and Boba and do recommend them. While they do have problems, they can be fixed. I cannot compare them to the real figures as I do not own any.

Aside from several loose joints that needed some future and some minor rough paint apps, each figure shared some more serious problems. One was the laminar armor bands on the back of the helmets. They were all uneven, so I separated and re-glued the bands for each helmet.

The second problem is that the sword sheaths were all too narrow for the swords. If you tried to jam the swords in, they would at best not fit and at worst get stuck and scratched. I split the sheaths open (some insanely strong glue!), dremeled away just enough of the inside and re-glued them back together.

The third and biggest problem was the waist joint. The joint on these is a little complicated - its an inverse T peg inside a floating groin piece.
Like so:
View attachment 285715
The figures all come feeling really floppy. If you try to pop the figure at the waist, you'll find that instead of the upper ball pegging into the torso, the groin piece is glued to the torso, loosely holding the T and legs in place. If you pull the torso and groin apart, you can just pop the peg into the torso correctly (with more future) and the figure will feel WAY better and tighter.

These bootlegs are a bit of work out of the box, but as someone who appreciates the customizing aspect of collecting, I enjoyed the challenge. So yes, I do recommend these figures if you're ok expecting the above. Also, while I'd love to support an incredibly creative and well-executed line like Movie Realization, the fact is that these figures are well beyond my means and this is the only way that I'd ever be able to enjoy them.
And at the end of the day, they look incredible on my shelf :D

Awesome shot and awesome post. Been lurking on this forum for a little over a month now, so I'm pretty new here too (and new to figure collecting, in general). Your Ashigaru figure looks really good for a bootleg. Is the inside of the chin part actually painted on yours? Because from what I've seen, the bootlegs don't have the black lining paint on these Ashigaru figures. Would you mind sharing where you got yours? Also, what sort of glue are you using to make these fixes?

I won a bid on eBay for one of these bootleg figures, and it's been a really bad experience so far. My sheathe was also too narrow and left scratches on my katana. The left foot snapped within the first day. The flintlock was missing a piece. The sheathe holder ring was split in two (so the sheathe holder doesn't peg stay attached to the waist). The little belt thing at the waist (with the leg armor flaps) was actually glued down to the left thigh, so I had to rip parts of it off in order to get a little more leg movement. And just handling it would make the hands come off, and the left arm detach from the elbow. It's a nice little figure to look at, but the figure is absolutely terrible in terms of quality.

I was lucky enough, recently, to buy the SDCC 2016 Teppo Ashigaru figure for $80 shipped on eBay, and after it arrived and I was able to compare the two, it just showed me how poorly made the bootlegs are compared to the authentic figures. Bootlegs truly fail in comparison. I'd still like to fix this bootleg though as I've been inspired by your post. Was wondering if anyone knows how to fix broken feet and broken arms on these figures.

Here are some pictures of the bootleg:
RK91j8w.jpg

JMjzS3K.jpg

UA90GVe.jpg

9bWliUt.jpg

Here's a picture of the SDCC 2016 Teppo Ashigaru:
McvWo9Y.jpg

Has anyone tried a custom human head on a trooper? Like to show with the helmet off?

Does anyone know what the next figure will be? I really want Amidala and the Stormtrooper archer...

No certainty, but so far the only figures shown but not released are Jango Fett and the Archer Stormtrooper, so my bet would be on one of those two.

They've announced a lot of wild, vague plans in previous years but they seem to be on the cautious side (high price, web exclusives) so I'm not sure all of the announcements will someday materialize.

I'm pretty confident we'll see Oni Maul at some point though, especially if they breach into prequels territory with Jango Fett.

Steampunk Threepio and Artoo could be amusing too.

Looking great. Still on the look out for one myself. Does it include both black and white pauldrons?

Back