Superman Returns on DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I downloaded the dvd about 2 weeks ago, but I will poney up the cash to buy the HD-DVD. Great movie, and the effects should be amazing on HD-DVD.

Nute Gunray: Ahhh, My Lord, is that... legal?
Darth Sidious: I will make it legal.
gunray1.jpg

hey hey hey...i'm not selling it on dvd on the corner down in hollywood. I use it for my own personal use. I will buy the hd-dvd, so I don't see the harm. :chew :chew :chew

Just kidding!!

I have had a few "advance" copies of movies given to me and I always buy the official version when it's available. I'm not taking any money out of their (deep) pockets.

:D

That's really cool, and another reason to go HD-DVD.

I was at Best Buy over fall break and was looking at the next-gen dvd's and they only had HD-DVD, and some really good selections. And they aren't that expensive compared to regular DVD either. I hope they do the combo with more DVD's because that would be really great.

The combo is a great idea, considering how new the HD players are.

Forgive my ignorance but will HD-DVD players still play standard DVD's? I would think it'd be a must but I don't know if a blue ray player would be able to play standard DVD's.

I am going to take a wait and see approach to this. I was thinking about getting the add on for the 360 and get some of the hd dvd's and then I remember all those beta video's a friend of mine has in his garage and I want to wait untill one of these formats survive.

tomandshell said:
Thanks, Batty--that's better than nothing, I guess!! I still think it's weird that they don't have this for preorder.
It's still seven weeks away, so I'm sure it'll show up any day now. But yeah, it is a bit weird it's not available for pre-order now.

Another reason I want Amazon to get it up for preorder--they currently have a deal where if you order three HD-DVD movies, you will get an additional 10% off on your order, and you will continue to get that extra 10% off every HD-DVD or Blu-ray disc you order for one year. Not a bad deal at all:

HD Promotion

tomandshell said:
Yes!!!

Although the HD-DVD version will have the HD on one side of the disc and the regular DVD version on the other, so you can watch it in HD at your house or in old timey definition in your mom's regular DVD player. With BluRay, you have to have a BR player or you're out of luck. So the HD combo disc is the one I'll be getting. (If Amazon ever puts it up for sale...)

Do all HD-DVD's play in regular DVD players or just Superman Returns and select others?

gdb said:
Do all HD-DVD's play in regular DVD players or just Superman Returns and select others?

HD-DVD's don't play in any DVD players. The DVD in the package is a separate disc entirely (or a separate side, I'm not sure as I don't own any combo discs). These are so stupid, since they are much more expensive than normal HD-DVD's.

I wonder what percentage of SR HD-DVD buyers don't own an HD player, and want only the DVD? Probably pretty low, and I'm sure there MANY more people wanting the HD disc that don't need the DVD. I understand the "future proof" argument, but this is ridiculous.

Please no more combo discs!

Thanks for clearing that up, elwood. I got all excited there for a minute -- thought I could buy DVDs and as soon as I pick up an HD DVD player, I'd have an instant library. Figures there would be a catch. So HD DVD Combo is really like an add-on sale. Bummer...

Yes, the Superman Returns HD-DVD is two sided, with the HD movie and extras on one side, and the standard definition DVD on the other side. You can play the movie in regular DVD players because they give you both versions in the combo package, not because the HD technology is backwards compatible like that. Regular non-combo HD-DVDs, or the HD side of a combo disc, will not play in standard DVD players.

Cool, I put the HD-DVD on my christmas wishlist even though I don't have an HD-DVD player because I'm hoping to have one some time soon and I might as well get the HD-DVD so I wouldn't waste money on a regular dvd version and an HD-DVD version later.

And also, does the regular DVD side have any extras or is it just the movie?

I just ordered the collectors edition from Amazon. Could someone please give me the contact information so I can get the correct disc for SupermanII that wasn't included in this?? Thanks! :eek:

Back