SUPERMAN PF PICS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I now have a changed opinion on the statue. I saw it in person today at a comic shop, and it looks FAR better than any of the pics thus far. The skin tone wasnt as washed out and held detail and the costume had practuacally no shine to it. I was actually quite impressed with DC. If only the Batman statue had a better base(gotham building top?), I'd be really quite excited.
:D

He is a great piece. In fact I like him more than some of SideShow's PFs.

It's definitely no where near as bad as people had him to be. His outfit doesn't take good pictures because of the shine that comes off from the camera's flash.

He could have been made better but considering this is DC Direct's first stab at it and the fact that Sideshow's first attempts were kind of on the blah side, see the Scareface PF or any of the 60's Star Trek PFs, it's not bad at all. I am now looking forward to picking up Batman.

Last edited:
Just got my Superman - I was prepared for the worst, but the pics online DO NOT do him any justice at all. The face sculpt is great, as is the paint job on it. The symbol on his chest and cape are very well done, not the paper label I was worried about.

The box is also very classy - minimalist, but like you'd expect from a museum, rather than a collectibles company.

I still don't like how the cape is attached and the large neck line, but I think I can adjust a bit. I'll try and take some pics this weekend. He's truly getting a bad rap for no reason.

Darklord Dave said:
Just got my Superman - I was prepared for the worst, but the pics online DO NOT do him any justice at all. The face sculpt is great, as is the paint job on it. The symbol on his chest and cape are very well done, not the paper label I was worried about.

The box is also very classy - minimalist, but like you'd expect from a museum, rather than a collectibles company.

I still don't like how the cape is attached and the large neck line, but I think I can adjust a bit. I'll try and take some pics this weekend. He's truly getting a bad rap for no reason.

Yeah, I saw him at a comic shop last week-end.And I gotta say I was also impressed,he looks much better in real.His face is much better than I tought it would be. I think its a must - buy for real Superman fans.

I just saw this thing at lunch and while its not as bad as I thought it would be it still falls into another failed attempt by DC Direct. They should just stop and leave toy and statue making to the professionals. I have given DC Direct more of my patience than past girlfriends and flakey friends, not to mention thousands of my dollars and this is the best they can do for Big Blue. I'm done with these fools. I wish Supes belonged to Marvel so that he could have a great toy and statue made after him to show just how great the ultimate immigrant can be.

Darklord Dave said:
He's truly getting a bad rap for no reason.
Agreed.

The lips on mine are a bit too pale to my eye, but nothing a little paint can't fix.

Regarding the scooped neck (which is too extreme) and the cape (which could be fastened more elegantly), I think pinching the fabric slightly on both sides of the neckline and securing it with a tuck-stitch should reduce the plunge substantially. I'm not a proponent of "futzing," but, in this case, it appears to be an easy fix. Actually, I can live with the neckline from the front, but the back is much too low.

What drew me to the statue in the first place, was it's retro/deco style and, looking again at the prototype pictures, it's very close to what was promised — along with some improvements — though I think I would have preferred a cloth cape to pleather; As it stands, I think the cape is a bit too heavy. (And by the way, be careful when unpacking! The cape is tucked into a cardboard container located beneath the styrofoam compartment the figure rests in. As I was lifting the figure out, I nearly popped the stitches securing the cape to the rest of the costume.)

Btw, do I correctly recollect reading that Oluf Hartvigson sculpted this guy?

glxy.jpg

wookilar8 said:

I realize it could easily be the angle and lighting, but the legs look a little skinny on this second picture.

On the first, I don't like the way the torso just barrels out at mid chest but the lower half is pretty much straight; it doesn't look natural or something...

Having said that, I never planned on getting him, so this is just me looking it over and giving my two cents.

lcummins said:
I realize it could easily be the angle and lighting, but the legs look a little skinny on this second picture.

On the first, I don't like the way the torso just barrels out at mid chest but the lower half is pretty much straight; it doesn't look natural or something...

Having said that, I never planned on getting him, so this is just me looking it over and giving my two cents.

My sentiments exactly. I do like the headsculpt. That certainly gives the statue a more professional looking finish. The blue parts of the custome appear to be similar to those on the SS Spidey PF, in terms of sheen. Is this correct?

Darklord Dave said:

Good to hear Dave you may sway me yet...

FlyAndFight said:
The blue parts of the custome appear to be similar to those on the SS Spidey PF, in terms of sheen. Is this correct?
I don't have the PF Spidey, but, I can tell you that the camera's flash is giving the fabric much more sheen than it has under normal lighting conditions.

skip.jpg

lcummins said:

Actually, it's more or so of the angle shot taken of the piece. Going based on my own body, which is built (or even if it wasn't) your legs always look much thinner from the side opposed to the front or back. No, his legs are very proportionate. He has a good amount of thickness and his mid outter thigh (the quad) bells out as it would on a built leg. No, I have no idea why he got such a bad rap at first. But whatever the case, he's still an amazing figure. And yes, the sheen from the fabric, which is very noticable from the flashes of the camera takes away from the overall visual appeal of the figure. And under certain lighting, when it catches the right shadows in certain parts of his face, you can see how well they executed the sculpt.

What can I say other than this version of Superman is not photogenic.

Last edited:
I stopped by the local comic shop I get PFs from, and they had the Superman in the case across from the shelf where they keep Bowen and Sideshow items. Comparing PFs to PFs, yeah, we're going to be biased towards SSC, but looking at it in person versus pics on ebay versus pics shown earlier in this thread, i'm throwing another vote in the "it looks much better in person than in the online pics".

Yeah, the cape attachmen needs a little work, but overall, it's not bad.
The material looked a little bit like the Spiderman material, but really... it didn't look too bad. Can't wait to see what the Batman will look like.
If they did a Wonder Woman, my fiancee would be all over it.

The face needs a repaint. If it were cost effective I'd buy one and ship it to Josh to redo...

This and the Reeve are different animals completely. I'd never trade the Reeve for anything - it's easily the best and most favorite part of my collection. But for a mass produced, comic version of Supes - this'll do.

Back