SUPERMAN II: The Donner Cut DVD review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice reivew, Les! I agree with everything you said. To add a review of my own:

A TRIUMPH!!

I remember loving Superman II as a kid. I remember really liking Superman III as well. When I saw them a few years ago I found them embarassing and intellectually insulting. I mean, Superman grabs the symbol on his chest and throws it at people? Superman can turn invisible and throw projections of himself? That would have made it easy for him to fool Lois and the rest by projecting Clark somewhere as he flew around. No, the movie was laughable.

But not anymore!!

They did 3 things:

1. Took out the most embarassing things (like the bald headed stand in for Jor El and the weird judgemental mother and the fight in the Fortress).

2. Beefed up the emotional beats and character arcs (that the "other" director watered down).

3. Since they recut it almost completely, the movie exhibits a much more modern, much more sophisticated style of editing.

They still have some clunkers that were unavoidable. Zod has the ability in one scene to levitate a gun with his eyes -- a scene realized by the "other" director with no alternate takes... they can "talk" in the vaccumm of space... and the key revelation scene is made up of two different screen tests (and they didn't have the resources of ILM behind them when they restored it).

The character arcs are so strong. Lois in Superman's shirt the morning after, Jor-El shooting her a dirty look... Jor-El's final lesson to his son... As Les pointed out, Zod mowing people down with the machine gun...

With the Fortress and Jor-El and Clark/Superman and Lois relationships it reminded me of fully fleshed out conflicts in Smallville.

Now, as someone has pointed out, they pulled the world backward trick in Superman I. But, that was intended for Superman II. I would be curious to see a Superman I with its original ending to see if it works better.

I can't say enough good things about this movie. The only reasons to prefer the first one, I think, would be nostalgic ones.

I watch the original Superman film yesterday after getting the 4 disc set for Chritmas. I watched the new 2000 cut of the film and really liked it.

I now want to get the Superman II: Donner Cut! Sounds great!

Psycho :nuts:

I saw this on blu-ray the other day it was cool but i was not too impressed.Both versions seem fine to me.(more brando is always good though)

I do miss the whole S thing off supermans chest thing to wrap up the baddies(some think it's corny but i always liked it)Cool aspect to superman's powers/tools IMO.All in all if a superman fan ya should at least check it!

Brando is the reason to watch it. His parts ruled. Loved how he glanced over to Lois after Supes gives up his powers.

And yes, the Big S Plastic Wrap is ghey.

As much as I like Dick Donner, the Donner Cut of Supes 2 was a HUGE letdown. The ending was just a copout. It's like the whole movie never happened. I felt like I just wasted my time.

Just scored this on Blu-ray,Man does it look great.Also watching this makes me really dislike kate bosworth as lois...Kidder FTW!

i've seen 'FTW' on forums everywhere... what the hell does it stand for?

For The Win. Internet-speak for 'awesome'. ;)

I haven't seen the 'Donner Cut' yet, though Ive read some pretty mixed reviews about it. Maybe when I get some spare cash I'll check it out...

For The Win. Internet-speak for 'awesome'. ;)

I haven't seen the 'Donner Cut' yet, though Ive read some pretty mixed reviews about it. Maybe when I get some spare cash I'll check it out...

the reviews are mixed because it's really an unfinished film.

if they had just put the jor-el stuff in and removed the goofy moments from lester's version, it would be better.

Back