Supergirl Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well a really good paint job can hide somethings but honestly its the entire sculpt. So unless they work magic I dont see it changing how people feel.

yeah, well unfortunately I don't see myself picking her up but I really want a Supergirl in my collection. I wonder if SS will do another version down the road.

It does seem like a step backwards in quality. Plus, I don't see how Sideshow can't throw in at least a couple head sculpts with each PF considering the prices now. They're creeping up on XM prices but with none of the extras.

It does seem like a step backwards in quality. Plus, I don't see how Sideshow can't throw in at least a couple head sculpts with each PF considering the prices now. They're creeping up on XM prices but with none of the extras.

I'm wondering if a lot of the cost increase isn't in the Art department. They say materials and transport but really those go up in small increments and over a an entire spread of run of statues wouldn't cause for a large increase. However, sculpting and painting fees for in house artists, now that can go up a larger sum especially after a couple of years. Sculptors/painters want more money for the products they are producing. This would also be in line with XM's ability to keep prices at around $600-$800 with multiple switchouts and larger bases, since if I'm not mistaken, most of their art department is in Singapore and is paid in SGD, not USD and also probably does require as much payment seeing as the money might go further in that economy.

I'm wondering if a lot of the cost increase isn't in the Art department. They say materials and transport but really those go up in small increments and over a an entire spread of run of statues wouldn't cause for a large increase. However, sculpting and painting fees for in house artists, now that can go up a larger sum especially after a couple of years. Sculptors/painters want more money for the products they are producing. This would also be in line with XM's ability to keep prices at around $600-$800 with multiple switchouts and larger bases, since if I'm not mistaken, most of their art department is in Singapore and is paid in SGD, not USD and also probably does require as much payment seeing as the money might go further in that economy.

That could be it--makes sense. However, I would dock the pay of the artist responsible for the Supergirl HS and also the person in charge of approving it.

Its disappointing to hear there won't be an exclusive head, but I'l reserve judgement until I see the repainted head. I was hoping to get Supergirl, but its hard not to compare it too the amazing Captain Marvel statue (probably my favorite head sculpt so far). To me, Dark Phoenix and CM have really raised the bar, and with high prizes its hard not to be picky.

That could be it--makes sense. However, I would dock the pay of the artist responsible for the Supergirl HS and also the person in charge of approving it.

Maybe the approval person, but I'm convinced the sculptor did what they could based on the vague features in the concept art SS chose, which was the real mistake here. I don't generally agree with these types of arguments, as I think pay should be reflective of the amount of work put in, even the end result isn't to my personal taste.

Such a shame Sideshow screwed up this great character, I wanted the hot 20 year old version of Kara not the 43 year old Gwyneth Paltrow version.

Maybe the approval person, but I'm convinced the sculptor did what they could based on the vague features in the concept art SS chose, which was the real mistake here. I don't generally agree with these types of arguments, as I think pay should be reflective of the amount of work put in, even the end result isn't to my personal taste.

This is one of the few times I would condone scraping an entire piece and starting over, and I mean all the way back to concept. I think this needs to be completely reworked.

Generally I agree, pay for work put in, but Sideshow does hire some of the best sculptors in the business and if I'm right pays a premium for their work. Which we in turn pay for with higher prices. And if that's the case, we should be getting premium figure sculpts for that premium price. And this was a fair bit below some of the sculpts we're used to seeing from Sideshow.

Don't agree with docking pay? That's fine, but there isn't any reason they can't go back and start from scratch--at the very least sculpt a new head. Sideshow does get amazing talent and I can only assume they pay them well. Both versions of the head sculpt for this statue were below the mark compared to other head sculpts in the DC line. Based on Power Girl's numbers I'll say that with the EX and regular versions Sideshow is planning on selling 3750 of these statues (1250 EX and 2500 regular). I'll be conservative and say this will be priced at $450. 3750 x $450 = $1,687,500. If she hits the $500 price point, that's $1,875,000. For that amount of money, Sideshow should do whatever it takes to make sure we get the best possible representation of the character.

I agree they should have started from scratch. I posted that on the other forum, but I thought it was at least implied in my saying the concept art was the mistake. My fault for being unclear. My posts tend to be overlong due to my trying (perhaps too hard) to be as constructive as possible and not uniformly negative with my criticisms.

I wouldn't blame the sculptor. Pretty sure these are art directed and nitpicked pretty closely by SSC in house people and probably also by DC. If you want someone to blame, blame them.

Don't agree with docking pay? That's fine, but there isn't any reason they can't go back and start from scratch--at the very least sculpt a new head. Sideshow does get amazing talent and I can only assume they pay them well. Both versions of the head sculpt for this statue were below the mark compared to other head sculpts in the DC line. Based on Power Girl's numbers I'll say that with the EX and regular versions Sideshow is planning on selling 3750 of these statues (1250 EX and 2500 regular). I'll be conservative and say this will be priced at $450. 3750 x $450 = $1,687,500. If she hits the $500 price point, that's $1,875,000. For that amount of money, Sideshow should do whatever it takes to make sure we get the best possible representation of the character.

:goodpost:

Such a shame Sideshow screwed up this great character, I wanted the hot 20 year old version of Kara not the 43 year old Gwyneth Paltrow version.

:rotfl Ya, I kind of agree. But they could have still pulled it off just by redoing the head, giving us a coh, and give us both switch out hands. I still don't like the peace symbol she's doing with her hands.

Back