Suggestions for Re-Energzing the Star Wars 1/6th Scale Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I forget what thread it was, but there was someone bashing the Smuggler Han and the Stormtrooper Han sculpts and asking Sideshow to let Trevor make one. Irony, as you know, being he did both of the aforementioned sculpts. People just don't pay attention sometimes. :lol

Well yeah, you obviously didn't read my thread properly. I knew Trevor did both of them and said so.

There's a big difference between 'bashing' a sculpt and criticising it in a constructive way. Trevor's Indiana Jones sculpts and his Stormtrooper Luke are the best sculpts out there of two notoriously difficult subjects, Harrison Ford and Mark Hammill. Like a number of people here I didn't feel his smuggler Han or Tatooine Luke, even when repainted. But those were his first shots at them, and since then he's totally nailed those likenesses. As for stormtrooper Han, it's a great likeness, I would have just preferred a more neutral sculpt.

Well yeah, you obviously didn't read my thread properly. I knew Trevor did both of them and said so.

There's a big difference between 'bashing' a sculpt and criticising it in a constructive way. Trevor's Indiana Jones sculpts and his Stormtrooper Luke are the best sculpts out there of two notoriously difficult subjects, Harrison Ford and Mark Hammill. Like a number of people here I didn't feel his smuggler Han or Tatooine Luke, even when repainted. But those were his first shots at them, and since then he's totally nailed those likenesses. As for stormtrooper Han, it's a great likeness, I would have just preferred a more neutral sculpt.

You criticized his sculpts based on factory paint apps which are completely beyond his control. :cuckoo:

See a couple posts back where I posted the unpainted Amidala sculpt for a perfect example of why that's wrong.

My suggestion for SS is to PRODUCE MORE CLONES!!!

Not interested in better boxes, I throw them away!

Interested to see if SS can rid of the hip ball joint crap!

Interested to see if SS will produce more clones!

While I appreciate the gradual improvements already made, I do think they came a little slow. I'd just like to see SS pay a little more attention in the engineering department like adding universal wrist and ankle joints. This would help greatly on the armored figures. Plus, perhaps a little more attention to detail, like Vader's height. It's really inexcusable that this figure, arguably the most anticiapated 1/6th figure from SS of all time, isn't damn near perfect. Making the pro body scaleable would be a step in the right direction as well.
Lastly, I would appreciate some sort of nod to fixing some of the past issues. Like someone said, maybe a limited "DX" type offering to go back and correct some of the "greatest misses" would be awesome!

Um, for the record....I don't think the Sideshow Star Wars line needs "re-energizing" - I think it's doing just fine and I just have this feeling that this year at SDCC, we're gonna get our collective socks blown off...

But for the sake of the discussion...

Accessory packs don't fit the model for high end collectibles that this line is following and I don't really think they would sell that well aside from the odd customizer or 2. Although I'd like to maybe see that idea incorporated into new figure releases - maybe a trooper will come with 2 new weapons and one could be used with another trooper....

Great idea...especially with the military figures. And....although it would drive some folks in here crazy and there'd be lots of cries of "foul"...I like the idea of having figures come with a piece of an environment (maybe as just an exclusive) that when put together, could help enhance displaying some figures together - a good example..."Death Star"-styled floor/stand panels or wall pieces coming with Imperial themed figures.

I'd really like to see more environmental stands (like HT includes with some of their figures)...

Bald_Padme_headsculpt_by_trev_solo.jpg

AWESOME, that stereo image thing really works. Took me a few tries, but its cool when it works

You criticized his sculpts based on factory paint apps which are completely beyond his control. :cuckoo:

See a couple posts back where I posted the unpainted Amidala sculpt for a perfect example of why that's wrong.

You really ought to read my posts if you're going to comment on them.

All Sideshow factory paint apps are terrible, yet Trevor's Indiana Jones sculpts and Stormtrooper Luke sculpts shine through as pretty much perfect, even with factory paint. The smuggler Han and Tatooine Luke are not so hot, unpainted, repainted, whatever - they don't look as good to me (but they were Trevor's first attempts at those likenesses). Now, a person's opinion of a HS is subjective, but there does seem to be more agreement about, say, Trevor's Indy sculpt - I've never read anyone criticising it - than smuggler Han, where some people love it and some people don't. It was an early piece and he's got (even) better.

Actually, that Amidala is great but I bet Trevor could do better now.

The thng that makes him such an amazing sculptor is that he can capture subjects with smooth faces and rounded faces - a lot of sculptors struggle with subjects that don't have prominent bone structure or marks of age.

You really ought to read my posts if you're going to comment on them.

All Sideshow factory paint apps are terrible, yet Trevor's Indiana Jones sculpts and Stormtrooper Luke sculpts shine through as pretty much perfect, even with factory paint. The smuggler Han and Tatooine Luke are not so hot, unpainted, repainted, whatever - they don't look as good to me (but they were Trevor's first attempts at those likenesses). Now, a person's opinion of a HS is subjective, but there does seem to be more agreement about, say, Trevor's Indy sculpt - I've never read anyone criticising it - than smuggler Han, where some people love it and some people don't. It was an early piece and he's got (even) better.

Actually, that Amidala is great but I bet Trevor could do better now.

The thng that makes him such an amazing sculptor is that he can capture subjects with smooth faces and rounded faces - a lot of sculptors struggle with subjects that don't have prominent bone structure or marks of age.

Sideshow_Han_Solo_portrait_by_trev_solo.jpg

If there's someone to blame for the expression, it's LFL, but as it stands, I don't think you could get any more perfect a Star Wars Harrison/Han with a neutral expression than that.

Um, for the record....I don't think the Sideshow Star Wars line needs "re-energizing" - I think it's doing just fine and I just have this feeling that this year at SDCC, we're gonna get our collective socks blown off...

But for the sake of the discussion...

Great idea...especially with the military figures. And....although it would drive some folks in here crazy and there'd be lots of cries of "foul"...I like the idea of having figures come with a piece of an environment (maybe as just an exclusive) that when put together, could help enhance displaying some figures together - a good example..."Death Star"-styled floor/stand panels or wall pieces coming with Imperial themed figures.

I'd really like to see more environmental stands (like HT includes with some of their figures)...

I agree with Jedibear I dont feel that the line needs re-energzing. HelL I dont think I could afford it LOL.
But I love the idea of some extra accessories or floor panels. I would love to see extras for the clones, or just small pieces of dios or even a deathstar wall panel.

I like your floor panel idea Dorgmal. Something that attached to each other like Mcfarlane Basketball Figures would be cool.

Sideshow_Han_Solo_portrait_by_trev_solo.jpg

If there's someone to blame for the expression, it's LFL, but as it stands, I don't think you could get any more perfect a Star Wars Harrison/Han with a neutral expression than that.

Word!
I love this one! And the matching Luke, too.
Nevertheless I agree that there are a lot of sculpts that could be much better. Take the Obi wan EPIII. The head shape is wrong. Just an example.

Word!
I love this one! And the matching Luke, too.
Nevertheless I agree that there are a lot of sculpts that could be much better. Take the Obi wan EPIII. The head shape is wrong. Just an example.

Yes, and I never said there weren't, but Smuggler Han is not one of them.

What I find frustrating is seeing same charactor from different episode like Oki, Solo, leia, skywalker and ofcourse Anakan from CW etc.....
Because space in my glass display cabinets is limited with my interest being with OT imperials, we don't see balancing level where production could create one jedi to one imperial. It would be great to see Grand Moff Tarkin or General Veers with both his basic uniform and ESB AT-AT commanders armour. Not for getting many more including ever popular Snowtrooper and ROTJ biker. Lately some of best screen accurate HS on market is coming from DiD of all places IMO.

All I am saying from pre-order to getting product is long time and at times annoys me when new figure as nice they are are not for me creating long pause between buying which at times kill my interest. I don't understand why SST help medicom sales as they;re not same scale doubting SST competing selling similar figure like R2, 3PO, Tie fighter pilot and Fetts?......it doesn't make commercial sense.

I love armoured figures however think SST should update their Prometheus Black body design for better joints so their not dependant on stands for dio purposes.

Last edited:
Can we just change the name of this thread to "They aren't getting to what I want fast enough"?

How does anyone think the line needs to be re-energized? The "Star Wars" section has 4600 threads (4800-some if you include it's own Customs sub-group, which other licenses can't support BTW). That's far and away the most indicative sign of interest for any single license. The other ones that are high are encompassing many various items. And god forbid you take away anything HT Dark Knight/Joker/Iron Man related. Those Marvel/DC threads would be in the hundreds, not thousands. Take 1 hot figure (Vader) related posts from Star Wars-not a dent. The figures are improving and they are selling out. SS is making obscure figures (Hammerhead) that HT would never touch. If I may inject my own selfish wants here, Fife and Drum-that's a dead line. 3 whole figures. Brotherhood-dead. About 10 figs after famous real people, about 10 figs of generic soldiers. That's how SS started. That's when I started with them. That's what I'm most disappointed about. Star Wars-not dead, not dying. No need to re-energize.

Can we just change the name of this thread to "They aren't getting to what I want fast enough"?

How does anyone think the line needs to be re-energized? The "Star Wars" section has 4600 threads (4800-some if you include it's own Customs sub-group, which other licenses can't support BTW). That's far and away the most indicative sign of interest for any single license. The other ones that are high are encompassing many various items. And god forbid you take away anything HT Dark Knight/Joker/Iron Man related. Those Marvel/DC threads would be in the hundreds, not thousands. Take 1 hot figure (Vader) related posts from Star Wars-not a dent. The figures are improving and they are selling out. SS is making obscure figures (Hammerhead) that HT would never touch. If I may inject my own selfish wants here, Fife and Drum-that's a dead line. 3 whole figures. Brotherhood-dead. About 10 figs after famous real people, about 10 figs of generic soldiers. That's how SS started. That's when I started with them. That's what I'm most disappointed about. Star Wars-not dead, not dying. No need to re-energize.

But you never know. Someday...in the future...waaaaaaaaayyy in the future...this line may actually lose steam and then everybody is going to be glad we have this thread to fall back on for ideas on how to revive the line. So don't knock it.

:D

But you never know. Someday...in the future...waaaaaaaaayyy in the future...this line may actually lose steam and then everybody is going to be glad we have this thread to fall back on for ideas on how to revive the line. So don't knock it.
:D

I guess. It's not like all the ideas are bad ones. Some are actually pretty legitimate. I just wish some people would flat out say what they don't like about things and not start with the "line is dead", "line sucks" stuff. If it sucks for you, just say so. I'm an OT guy, and I think all the clone stuff is a waste of a slot, but that doesn't mean I think the line needs excitement.

:rotfl

I generally like what Sideshow releases, whether it's something I buy or something I have no interest in buying. It's still great to see the beautiful work that Sideshow produces. I don't think I'm getting any of the upcoming aliens, but I'm anxious to see how they turn out and I know the line is enhanced by the presence of those figures. It gives the line more depth and variety.

The only criticism I have is the paint applications. But even then I'm mostly content with the factory job.

Back