Suggestions for Re-Energzing the Star Wars 1/6th Scale Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just, keep getting Trevor to do great head sculpts, and sell them with decent paint jobs. To the cost of the figure, you have to add the cost of a Truetype and a repaint - I don't believe they'll ever make a Pro where the joints aren't loose, so at least supply a head that doesn't need repainting.

But it starts with the head sculpt, get that right and everything else follows.

EDIT - I'd like to see a vintage collection line, putting already released figures like Tatooine Luke in Kenner boxes with new improved head sculpts or better paint jobs..

Because that won't kill the line. :lol

Sideshow needs to go Hot Toys with future releases. Give us an Endor Luke but include an alternate switchable standard ROTJ Luke head so we can replace the "I can't believe its not butter" look on the first ROTJ Luke.

Sideshow needs to go "Ventress" with future releases. Give us an Endor Luke but include an alternate switchable standard ROTJ Luke head so we can replace the "I can't believe its not butter" look on the first ROTJ Luke.

Fixed to prevent more HT pole squattage. ;)

Re-energizing formula No. TK421:

1) Better paint apps (specifically on headsculpts.)
2) Lower price.

#1 will keep the current collectors happy.

#2 will bring in new collectors into the fold. (and keep current collectors happy.)

:monkey3

Wait! Just thought of another one...

Re-energizing formula No. TK422:

1) Sell alternate headsculpts separately.

Provide the collectors with alternative display options. Bottom line, with human-like figures, the headsculpt is KEY. Expand the possibilities of changing the figures headsculpt for display purposes. It would also provide SS with the possibility of additional sales of the original base figures. The production costs would be minimal compared to a full blown figure and it allows for a more diverse collection as well.

Fixed to prevent more HT pole squattage. ;)

1237811519_chuck-norris-approves.gif

Re-energizing formula No. TK422:

1) Sell alternate headsculpts separately.

Provide the collectors with alternative display options. Bottom line, with human-like figures, the headsculpt is KEY. Expand the possibilities of changing the figures headsculpt for display purposes. It would also provide SS with the possibility of additional sales of the original base figures. The production costs would be minimal compared to a full blown figure and it allows for a more diverse collection as well.
:lecture

They should treat the 1/6 lines more like toys and less like statues. Instead of worrying about setting the perfect edition size for every figure, they can make their revenue off extra head sculpts and accessory kits. With the inevitability of prices creeping closer to the PFs, they should market the 1/6 line as something fun, customizable.

Last edited:
I think it would be interesting if they experimented with a build-a-figure concept. Some of the Aliens would be excellent choices. It could help to sell whatever generic figure they plan on selling next (ie, Ozzel).

Just, keep getting Trevor to do great head sculpts, and sell them with decent paint jobs.
I'm as big a Trevor fan as there is. He made a dream come true by doing his Firefly sculpts but I think Oluf's Palpatines, Tim's Ki Adi, and even Andy's ROTS Kenobi are all great.
And as much as many hate the expression, Mat's ROTJ Luke is still the most accurate looking Hamill likeness out there.

I'm as big a Trevor fan as there is. He made a dream come true by doing his Firefly sculpts but I think Oluf's Palpatines, Tim's Ki Adi, and even Andy's ROTS Kenobi are all great.
And as much as many hate the expression, Mat's ROTJ Luke is still the most accurate looking Hamill likeness out there.

Many people lose sight of that, don't they? :lol

Many people lose sight of that, don't they? :lol

They do. As someone who's had the pleasure to meet those guys (except Trevor) and hang out with them. It bothers me honestly. People trashing the sculpts and the sculptors themselves is just rude. People here and other boards too just seem to lack a general respect or ability to put their posts in a manner somewhat close to respectful. Just kind of sad really.

They do. As someone who's had the pleasure to meet those guys (except Trevor) and hang out with them. It bothers me honestly. People trashing the sculpts and the sculptors themselves is just rude. People here and other boards too just seem to lack a general respect or ability to put their posts in a manner somewhat close to respectful. Just kind of sad really.

Yeah, I forget what thread it was, but there was someone bashing the Smuggler Han and the Stormtrooper Han sculpts and asking Sideshow to let Trevor make one. Irony, as you know, being he did both of the aforementioned sculpts. People just don't pay attention sometimes. :lol

Yeah, I forget what thread it was, but there was someone bashing the Smuggler Han and the Stormtrooper Han sculpts and asking Sideshow to let Trevor make one. Irony, as you know, being he did both of the aforementioned sculpts. People just don't pay attention sometimes. :lol

Right some people don't pay attention or care to for that matter.

Actually, I got the impression the original poster in that thread knew Trevor sculpted both and just wanted a nicer neutral headsculpt than the Smuggler version. Trevor can do an amazing Harrison sculpt and Smuiggler Han wasn't arguably as nice as some of his others. Afterall, it was his first attempt at Harrison. Though it does look pretty nice with a good paintjob. In any case, I don't think it is asking too much to get another one especially if the facial expression or hair is different enough to create some unique display oppurtunities. ANH Han is one of the most significant characters in the saga.

Actually, I got the impression the original poster in that thread knew Trevor sculpted both and just wanted a nicer neutral headsculpt than the Smuggler version. Trevor can do an amazing Harrison sculpt and Smuiggler Han wasn't arguably as nice as some of his others. Afterall, it was his first attempt at Harrison. Though it does look pretty nice with a good paintjob. In any case, I don't think it is asking too much to get another one especially if the facial expression or hair is different enough to create some unique display oppurtunities. ANH Han is one of the most significant characters in the saga.

Look again. The Smuggler was just as solid as any of Trevor's other sculpts. Seeing the unpainted head has confirmed that. Most people around here jump the gun and blame sculpts for poor factory paint apps. Some, after being proven wrong, even go so far as to then say it's "all the same."

Yeah its the same old argument: Yes it is, no it isn't, yes it is, no it isn't. Then you prove it is then they say It doesn't matter, yest it does, no it doesn't...

I have seen pictures of the unpainted head and it does indeed look good. However, that doesn't change the fact that the figure you get out of the box does not look so hot and they only way to make it look better is too pay a lot of money for a repaint.

Since Sideshow has switched to using fleshtone plastic, figures look much better than before which makes the bad paintjob on Smuggler Han stand out that much more. Sideshow would be doing fans a service by offering a new figure of the character with a new headsculpt or even a repainted and tweaked version of the Smuggler sculpt (though I would prefer they attempt Bespin Han first).

Accessory packs don't fit the model for high end collectibles that this line is following and I don't really think they would sell that well aside from the odd customizer or 2. Although I'd like to maybe see that idea incorporated into new figure releases - maybe a trooper will come with 2 new weapons and one could be used with another trooper.

But I would like to see something like a Sandtrooper that isn't completely weathered, maybe he comes with a bag of sand and glue and some suggestions on how to do the weathering.

Accessory packs don't fit the model for high end collectibles that this line is following and I don't really think they would sell that well aside from the odd customizer or 2. Although I'd like to maybe see that idea incorporated into new figure releases - maybe a trooper will come with 2 new weapons and one could be used with another trooper.

But I would like to see something like a Sandtrooper that isn't completely weathered, maybe he comes with a bag of sand and glue and some suggestions on how to do the weathering.

:rotfl

Not everybody cares that much about weathering, some people just want to buy a collectible to have it... that'd be more for the customizing crowd...

The sand and glue included would probably be more expensive than the factory paintjob that it's replacing, and only some people would find it useful.

However, I think if there were more expansion kits ala "sith probe droid pack for Darth Maul," with cheaper base figures, people could get what they wanted a lot more easily.

I have seen pictures of the unpainted head and it does indeed look good. However, that doesn't change the fact that the figure you get out of the box does not look so hot and they only way to make it look better is too pay a lot of money for a repaint.

I don't see how that would defend pop shots at a perfect sculpt though. If you get a figure out of the box that's painted like crap, it doesn't justify attacking the sculpt. Case in point and I hope Trevor doesn't mind me using the pic:

Bald_Padme_headsculpt_by_trev_solo.jpg

I don't think Sideshow's factory paints could've ____ed this up worse. But that sculpt is DEAD ON! Hell, anyone looking for a V for Vendetta custom just needs to repaint it.

Back