student sent home for wearing distracting shirt to school

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether a person is offended or not is not the point. If I go to school, I want to be able to take advantage of that opportunity and not be distracted by attention seeking douches. Just like at a movie house. If some ****** is surfing the internet on his smart phone I will have his ass removed pronto.

:goodpost::exactly:
:lecture:lecture:lecture She was offended by people who were offended by her tacky shirt. It's hypocritical and tasteless.

:goodpost::exactly:
Aaahhh, I've missed our discussions in TWD thread. Thankfully it starts back up this week. :yess:

It's still just a word printed on a shirt and she should have the right to freedom of expression. What does it even really mean? We need to evolve mentally and go beyond it. People need to show more restraint and focus on more important things in life.

Come on and be honest. It is not just a word. Her "freedom of expression" was done in extremely poor taste. There is a time and a place for everything and declaring one's sexual preferences in school via a tasteless t-shirt is not one of them. She has no respect for the school's rules or anyone that she may offend with the shirt.

Come on and be honest. It is not just a word. Her "freedom of expression" was done in extremely poor taste. There is a time and a place for everything and declaring one's sexual preferences in school via a tasteless t-shirt is not one of them. She has no respect for the school's rules or anyone that she may offend with the shirt.

I think he is being honest (In his mind). :horror:slap

I wonder how they'd feel if a boy came to school wearing that shirt. It's inappropriate for school no matter which way the door swings.

I wonder how they'd feel if a boy came to school wearing that shirt. It's inappropriate for school no matter which way the door swings.

That as the first thing I said when I heard about his. If it was a boy that wore this he'd be suspended and sent home before first period ended.

Sent from my iPhone located on the planet Hoth.

Everyone deserves respect, regardless of the clothing they wear. She has the right to look silly if she likes. I'm actually more offended by the way she was treated for wearing a silly pop art shirt...

Everyone deserves respect, regardless of the clothing they wear. She has the right to look silly if she likes. I'm actually more offended by the way she was treated for wearing a silly pop art shirt...

Thankfully you're in the minority. :lecture

Says who... I like to think most people are more evolved and mature to be phased by silly stuff like.

It's the liberal self-entitlement mentality that you should have to share what you've worked hard for. Recently comments were made that small businesses owe their existence to our government, not the hard work of the owner and employees, but I can't recall when, if ever, my business has benefited from any government assistance.

They'll point out that you benefit from the roads, and courts, and police, and fire department. They'll ignore the fact that the roads would probably be in better shape if private companies stood to lose money if they were crap, or that the government usurped the entire infrastructure industry when they opted to take taxpayer money to invent jobs that would have happened anyway.

It's like if they took over medicine, and then told you you couldn't have healthcare if it weren't for them. They're just so full of ****.

But, my point is that this is an ancient hustle, and the 'progressive' variant is relatively new. Many conservatives have the same problem.

Whether a person is offended or not is not the point. If I go to school, I want to be able to take advantage of that opportunity and not be distracted by attention seeking douches. Just like at a movie house. If some ****** is surfing the internet on his smart phone I will have his ass removed pronto.

I think that's different and not a freedom of speech issue (like this girl and her t-shirt). If police arrive to remove some nut ranting in the middle of a movie theater, his freedom of speech is not being violated. He is violating the property rights of the theater owner, and of the patrons (they paid to see the movie, and for that showing, it's theirs). No one owes him a venue to speak his mind, but that's not a limit on his freedom.

If I walk into a chuch with a t-shirt that says "Jesus Loves **** Sex", and sit there, prominently displayed, I have a problem. Not the people in the church. It is not my church.

The school is not hers. She does not have the right---per school rules---to instigate reactions in other students or teachers. It's not for her to decide what people should or should not be offended by, just as it's not the prerogative of others to decide for her.

I'm sure I could come up with a t-shirt that would make her apoplectic if she saw another student wearing it. Does she get special privileges for being part of a minority demographic? It's cool for her to do it, but not them? And should she have to endure prodding at her sexuality every time she sees the other student, or suffer the glances of those who have seen the shirt and have her in mind as its object of derision?

Further, why can't she just show up at school naked? Why should she have to conform to others' standards of decorum when her expressive needs demand that her pinks be on full display? Are we just not that evolved? Do we hate naked women?

Says who... I like to think most people are more evolved and mature to be phased by silly stuff like.

Sure in an adult environment. A school is different and it's not the place for that type of nonesense. How you fail to recognize this speaks volumes about the type of person you are IMO.

That said, if this little girl wants to go to the mall and wear a shirt that says I've sucked 12 cocks that's fine with me. I don't care what she wears out in public. THAT is her right.

If I walk into a chuch with a t-shirt that says "Jesus Loves **** Sex", and sit there, prominently displayed, I have a problem. Not the people in the church. It is not my church.

The school is not hers. She does not have the right---per school rules---to instigate reactions in other students or teachers. It's not for her to decide what people should or should not be offended by, just as it's not the prerogative of others to decide for her.

I'm sure I could come up with a t-shirt that would make her apoplectic if she saw another student wearing it. Does she get special privileges for being part of a minority demographic? It's cool for her to do it, but not them? And should she have to endure prodding at her sexuality every time she sees the other student, or suffer the glances of those who have seen the shirt and have her in mind as its object of derision?

Further, why can't she just show up at school naked? Why should she have to conform to others' standards of decorum when her expressive needs demand that her pinks be on full display? Are we just not that evolved? Do we hate naked women?

I think this is too deep for butters. :lol

What an idiot she is. And i also find any argument defending " she can wear what she wants " to not be a well thought out one. If you want to be a member of society then you must act as a member of society. You can wear what you want if its not to the expense of others. In which case this was. She wore it to school. If she wore it in public id also think what an attention seeking trouble maker. What will children think if they see it?

I hate it when people think they have free reign to wear whatever they want to express themselves. Just because you are selfish enough to think i can do what i want it doesnt mean you are entitled to it. Think about others.

And what exactly does her shirt represent? What type of society are we living in when a word on a shirt generates so much excitement and outrage.
The same one we have been living in for the last 200 years at least. Shirts like this have never been acceptable at any public school I have heard of.
It isn't just pop art. It was designed deliberately to spark controversy, and was more than likely intended to be worn at frat parties and the like. I have to wonder why there is one her size, though...

By the same token, people should be evolved and mature enough not to wear clothing with such inappropriate notions on them for where they are worn. Would it be best to wear such a shirt to a wedding? I think not. A keen sense of decorum is an expression of being evolved and mature. But, oh wait, she is only in middle school, so it's her mom's lack of maturity. Oh wait, the girl is trying to look mature by wearing such a shirt to school. Utter failure.

I wonder if there is more than one version of this shirt. It seems to me that the word for male genitalia that begins with the letter "C" much more closely resembles the word "Coke", so I think that would be more artistically elegant. They both begin with capital c and have four letters and both also have the letters o and k in them. How could someone have missed this obvious similarity? I think it would have been much funnier, and would be a less noticeable discrepancy and thus would require people to look even more carefully at the word to notice a difference at all. :lol In addition, it might actually be easier to get away with that version, because it is also the name of a rooster, whereas,the V word is rather specific as to what it refers to.

Last edited:

Disagree. Respect is earned, not something that everyone is automatically entitled to. How is she being respectful by wearing an offensive shirt? She's not respecting other people's and the school's rights by not only wearing the shirt, but by being a d-bag when the school asked her to change her shirt because it was offensive. If she cannot respect other's wishes, why she anyone respect hers?

Disagree. Respect is earned, not something that everyone is automatically entitled to. How is she being respectful by wearing an offensive shirt? She's not respecting other people's and the school's rights by not only wearing the shirt, but by being a d-bag when the school asked her to change her shirt because it was offensive. If she cannot respect other's wishes, why she anyone respect hers?
I agree. Respect is earned. Not everyone is entitled to it. Usually, the people who claim that everyone deserves respect are also people who don't have the talent or character to actually be ABLE to earn any respect, and because they WANT respect, they just say that everyone is entitled to it without earning it.

Here, the girl is being disrespectful of the purpose of the place she is in. It is distracting at best, and at worst, offends people and compromises the ability of people to focus on their studies, and thus compromises the quality of the learning environment. (assuming the environment is about learning) The shirt broadcasts an unnecessary and incendiary message.

I don't think the SCHOOL has rights, because I see it as a building, but all those in it deserve to be able to focus on the tasks at hand without any unnecessary conflict or distractions. Her shirt causes conflict, as it is the intention of the shirt to do so.

The people there are 12-14 years old, I think, and at that age, it is very difficult to NOT be distracted by such a shirt, because the message is so powerfully provocative, which is why the girl wore the shirt in the first place.

She, being so young and impressionable, couldn't seem to overcome the urge to wear it and show everyone. She couldn't stop herself. Similarly, the other children would also lack the self control not to react to it strongly.
If this was in college, it would be completely different. There, the shirt would be amusing, because most people are mature enough to control themselves and so be able to control their reactions to it. To ask 13 year olds to be mature in their reactions to such a shirt is to ask too much.

They'll point out that you benefit from the roads, and courts, and police, and fire department. They'll ignore the fact that the roads would probably be in better shape if private companies stood to lose money if they were crap, or that the government usurped the entire infrastructure industry when they opted to take taxpayer money to invent jobs that would have happened anyway.

Nah, I already pay for that with ridiculously high taxes, so that argument doesn't work.

Back