Story About Pippin Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as gaining interest in the pieces, I think that is certainly a given. The last few articles were on: Gothmog, KOTD and now Pippin. It is however nice to hear about the motives behind the pieces, and as was mentioned; I would have loved a complete book detailing all the information. :cool:

If anyone remembers... Last January at ORC, there was the unveiling of this statue with Billy Boyd. After it was over and Daniel Falconer had left the stage, I was standing right next to him as he explained why they chose a ROTK Pip as opposed to a FOTR. (Because yes, he did get immediately bombarded by people asking him why.)

Pippin is the slowest selling bust they ever made. They could not give them away. They knew that they had to complete the Fellowship, but could not justify to New Line to sell a FOTR Pip, they had to compromise with this more dynamic, armored ROTK statue. Daniel did say that WETA wanted very much to do a FOTR Pip, and it was his hopes that the sales of this piece would allow them to to eventually do one. :lecture

GrueSam said:
Daniel did say that WETA wanted very much to do a FOTR Pip, and it was his hopes that the sales of this piece would allow them to to eventually do one. :lecture

LOL! Not now though! Hmm, do one eventually hey....re-open the line eventually hey....

GrueSam said:
If anyone remembers... Last January at ORC, there was the unveiling of this statue with Billy Boyd. After it was over and Daniel Falconer had left the stage, I was standing right next to him as he explained why they chose a ROTK Pip as opposed to a FOTR. (Because yes, he did get immediately bombarded by people asking him why.)

Pippin is the slowest selling bust they ever made. They could not give them away. They knew that they had to complete the Fellowship, but could not justify to New Line to sell a FOTR Pip, they had to compromise with this more dynamic, armored ROTK statue. Daniel did say that WETA wanted very much to do a FOTR Pip, and it was his hopes that the sales of this piece would allow them to to eventually do one. :lecture

I thought the article was good and with Sams quote I understand now why they went with the Gondorian Pip. BUT I still wish it would of been a different pose even if it was a static pose, I just dont like the scared Pipen look.

Viking28 said:
I thought the article was good and with Sams quote I understand now why they went with the Gondorian Pip. BUT I still wish it would of been a different pose even if it was a static pose, I just dont like the scared Pipen look.

Agreed. It's funny, because people usually say, "You have to see this statue in person to appreciate it." Well, I have owned 2 of them, and both looked much worse in person than on the SS site. Not a paint issue or anything, it's just a boring piece, IMO. It's the worst statue I've ever owned, and I sent both of them back to SS for a refund. Fellowship Pip would at least have completed the original 9 for those that have that set.

Yeah, I looked at mine and was not that impressed. Bad call from someone on this piece...

And I personally think it was a bad judgement call to assume that a Fellowship Pippin statue would sell poorly just because the Pippin bust did. When the Pippin bust came out, the SSW collector base was much smaller than it is now, and most of the hobbit figures were selling poorly. Heck, all of the good guys were selling poorly. I've mentioned before how many sites were almost giving Sam and Bill away, because they couldn't sell them. Now, with the base grown, and more tastes represented, look at the price that the Fellowship hobbit statues command on eBay. How anyone could assume that a well-done Fellowship Pippin would not become as prized is just beyond me.

I agree in theory RD, and definately regarding the success of the hobbit statues. With that however, the Pippin bust was still available (and may still be :confused: ) after the line grew popular, SSW may have been taking that into account.

I agree with RD as well. I haven't purchased any of the hobbits statues or busts -- I prefer the baddies. Now that the line has ended, I have GOS and have Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas and Boromir (currently purchasing from Viking 28) on order. I just recently purchased Pippin since he compliments GOS, the Witch King and/or the Battle Troll (and perhaps the Mumak) that I have on order.

The only representation I have of the hobbits in my collection is the Hobbit Snowglobe which I have displayed with the Ringwraith on Steed statue.

I'm with Matt. I think the fact that to be honest by the time they got to Pippin the bust was still setting around being given away by just about everyone including SS. Why run the risk of the statue doing the same thing?

elwood49 said:
Fellowship Pip would at least have completed the original 9 for those that have that set.

Well, coming from someone who owns all 9 members I consider mine complete. :D :rolleyes:

jlcmsu said:
I'm with Matt. I think the fact that to be honest by the time they got to Pippin the bust was still setting around being given away by just about everyone including SS. Why run the risk of the statue doing the same thing?
Why? Because it was pretty common knowledge that the Pippin bust wasn't a very popular likeness or pose. And besides, the demographic of bust and statue collectors is not identical. There is still, from my perspective, almost no evidence that proves that a Fellowship Pippin statue would not have sold very well.

jlcmsu said:
Well, coming from someone who owns all 9 members I consider mine complete. :D :rolleyes:
There isn't a thing wrong with you considering your fellowship collection complete, but why did you find it necessary to "roll your eyes" at someone else, just because they have a different opinion? That isn't very conducive to open, friendly discussion.

RoboDad said:
Why? Because it was pretty common knowledge that the Pippin bust wasn't a very popular likeness or pose. And besides, the demographic of bust and statue collectors is not identical. There is still, from my perspective, almost no evidence that proves that a Fellowship Pippin statue would not have sold very well.

Just a gut feeling mostly. I mean the bust has been sitting around since the dark ages so I not sure how well the statue would have sold. To be honest the hobbits aren't that popular even now. The reason the old one sell so well is cause they are older and less of them around. I mean look Pippin is a 2k piece and can still be had. Some "yes" is cause of the pose I agree with that but also the fact The Hobbits just don't sell well when they are "new" IMO.

RoboDad said:
There isn't a thing wrong with you considering your fellowship collection complete, but why did you find it necessary to "roll your eyes" at someone else, just because they have a different opinion? That isn't very conducive to open, friendly discussion.

I added that because I took it as unless they made a "Hobbit" clothed Pippin the Fellowship wasn't complete. No, real harm was meant by it.

RoboDad said:

Perhaps my post was misunderstood, I am not saying that a Fellowship Pippin wouldn't have sold well, but that SSW didn't think so. I actually having all the hobbits now, would have preferred one; I do however like the Gondorian for what it is worth. My only point was that given the lackluster reponse to the bust, SSW's decision seems justified. Until they start polling the collectors (scratch that they are with the SW 12"), inevitably there will be disappointment.

Actually I do believe if he would of been in Hobbit gear Pippen would not be around. I mean Merry is long SOLD OUT and what goffy lookin one that is, but I prefer that to the scared stiff Pippen look. But hey thats me.

I can think of three reasons why the Pippin statue isn't sold out. First, many people just don't like pose at all. Nothing to do with the Fellowship/Gondor issue, they just feel that the look on his face doesn't work for them. Second, quite a few people (more than I think you realize) really wanted a Fellowship Pippin, and no other version would satisfy them. And when I say "Fellowship Pippin," I simply mean a version that is from the same stage of the journey as the other three hobbit statues, nothing more. A lot of people feel this way. And third, the ES was too high for a hobbit statue. It should have been 1500. I remain absolutely confident that a well-sculpted Fellowship Pippin statue (the right pose, the right expression, etc) with an ES of 1500 would have sold out in days, if not hours.

Of course, having said all that, but being the completist/OCD/poly-addict that I am, as I sit here, I can look across the room at my Pippin statue, which I wouldn't part with for anything. :D

jlcmsu said:
I added that because I took it as unless they made a "Hobbit" clothed Pippin the Fellowship wasn't complete.
Well, for a lot of people, that statement is absolutely true. ;)

RoboDad said:
I can think of three reasons why the Pippin statue isn't sold out. First, many people just don't like pose at all. Nothing to do with the Fellowship/Gondor issue, they just feel that the look on his face doesn't work for them. Second, quite a few people (more than I think you realize) really wanted a Fellowship Pippin, and no other version would satisfy them. And when I say "Fellowship Pippin," I simply mean a version that is from the same stage of the journey as the other three hobbit statues, nothing more. A lot of people feel this way. And third, the ES was too high for a hobbit statue. It should have been 1500. I remain absolutely confident that a well-sculpted Fellowship Pippin statue (the right pose, the right expression, etc) with an ES of 1500 would have sold out in days, if not hours.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the face. It's different I totally agree but that's one thing I like about it. I mean Theoden's Face is screaming which is cool as is the face on Aragorn @ The Black Gates. I've said in the past that's the version I wanted. Don't believe me?(general use) Just ask Brant or Jennifer how much I asked for that version. There is no difference between 1500 and 2000 either way I just don't feel it would have sold out real fast. Maybe 1k it would have that's a big difference.

RoboDad said:
Of course, having said all that, but being the completist/OCD/poly-addict that I am, as I sit here, I can look across the room at my Pippin statue, which I wouldn't part with for anything. :D

I know :) ;)

RoboDad said:
Well, for a lot of people, that statement is absolutely true. ;)

LOL You know my song and dance on that. ;) I have more I would say but I should probably just keep that to myself so I don't anger the members who don't care for my 2 cents.

RoboDad said:
And third, the ES was too high for a hobbit statue. It should have been 1500. I remain absolutely confident that a well-sculpted Fellowship Pippin statue (the right pose, the right expression, etc) with an ES of 1500 would have sold out in days, if not hours.

Sadly I think that is the case for almost all of the latter statues, IMO anything above 2K (3000 MAX), just breeds inattention.

Back