STORMTROOPER PF officially in development!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have rarely purchased something with intent to sell it, but I still give a crap what the ES is.

Why?

If you love the piece, wouldn't you just buy it?

What about a TV, or a home theatre system; because there's millions of them you wouldn't buy one - even if you loved it?

Bizarre thought process.

The perceived value is only what YOU give it, and, if you're not going to sell it, it could have a tiny little pen mark on the bottom saying 23/1,000,000,000 (that you'll never see) and that's going to influence your enjoyment of owning it? :cuckoo:

Why?

If you love the piece, wouldn't you just buy it?

What about a TV, or a home theatre system; because there's millions of them you wouldn't buy one - even if you loved it?

Bizarre thought process.

The perceived value is only what YOU give it, and, if you're not going to sell it, it could have a tiny little pen mark on the bottom saying 23/1,000,000,000 (that you'll never see) and that's going to influence your enjoyment of owning it? :cuckoo:
TVs and home theater systems are not collectibles. They have no ES, nor are they works of art. They are technology. Some may say that is art, and to some degree, they may be right. Yet, I find it no more than a metaphor for figuring something out. Is that art? I have plenty of statues and I love rarities. If a fine statue is rare, then I love it all the more. I know that not every collector that wants one has one. But, I am one of the lucky few that is able to enjoy the beauty of such a thing. I don't know how you find that bizarre, but you are entitled to think what you will, even if your judgment exists without knowledge of how others perceive things or any minor understanding of such. There is undoubtedly a prodigious difference between perceived value and actual value, of course. And yes, if I did love a piece, I would just buy it. ES isn't the only reason to purchase something. My only point is that it is a great way to keep something "collectible". You know, like the word that finishes up Sideshow Collectibles? You get that? Probably not.

anythings collectible, people collect oil cans & bottle lids an ES only makes it harder for the person who wants it to find it, if I like it & can justify the cost I'll buy it, I only care that the quality is there & that it will last unlike some rotting collectibles out there.

TVs and home theater systems are not collectibles. They have no ES, nor are they works of art. They are technology. Some may say that is art, and to some degree, they may be right. Yet, I find it no more than a metaphor for figuring something out. Is that art? I have plenty of statues and I love rarities. If a fine statue is rare, then I love it all the more. I know that not every collector that wants one has one. But, I am one of the lucky few that is able to enjoy the beauty of such a thing. I don't know how you find that bizarre, but you are entitled to think what you will, even if your judgment exists without knowledge of how others perceive things or any minor understanding of such. There is undoubtedly a prodigious difference between perceived value and actual value, of course. And yes, if I did love a piece, I would just buy it. ES isn't the only reason to purchase something. My only point is that it is a great way to keep something "collectible". You know, like the word that finishes up Sideshow Collectibles? You get that? Probably not.

I understand your view and clearly we think differently.

At the end of the day, I just sit back and look in amazement at the current state of collectibles and think "man, we are so lucky to have this stuff - period."

Years ago the technology didn't exist to give us this quality - and so readily available.

And in many parts of the world this stuff in beyond their means, so I don't get caught up in the nitty-gritty of it all, I just thank God I live in a country where I can afford to own this stuff and appreciate the hell out of every piece I own...

...regardless of edition size.

anythings collectible, people collect oil cans & bottle lids an ES only makes it harder for the person who wants it to find it, if I like it & can justify the cost I'll buy it, I only care that the quality is there & that it will last unlike some rotting collectibles out there.

:clap:goodpost::exactly::lecture

nothing wrong with collecting what you like regardless of how many there are, but theres also nothing wrong with getting a little thrill out of having something rare. Neither is wrong...not sure why people always get their knickers in a bind over other collector's thought processes. Thats the part thats :cuckoo:

That's true. Some items are just far more collectible to folks that aren't insanely collecting oil cans and Pez dispensers. :D

An ES naturally makes something more collectible. It's all about the rarity.

nothing wrong with collecting what you like regardless of how many there are, but theres also nothing wrong with getting a little thrill out of having something rare. Neither is wrong...not sure why people always get their knickers in a bind over other collector's thought processes. Thats the part thats :cuckoo:
:exactly: I don't care what other folks think of the way I collect. I collect for myself, therefore follow my own rules. I only attempted to defend the fact that the ES does matter for some, even those like myself that aren't looking to flip.

That's true. Some items are just far more collectible to folks that aren't insanely collecting oil cans and Pez dispensers. :D

An ES naturally makes something more collectible. It's all about the rarity.

Mmmm, I'd reckon they'd be more blokes out there collecting bottle lids then dolls or statues, I understand the ES point of view it's just not mine, An ES makes it rarer not more collectible (as there's less out there to collect), I personally get a kick outa people who aren't even interested in collecting figures coming round my house & going wow cool. the no sorry you can't have one there all sold out factor is not something I get off on.

Do you know anyone that collects bottle lids?

Funny enough I know a few old fellas that do & to tell you the truth it probably peaks my interest as much as my figures do them. All I'm saying it's what ur interested in and not the ES that makes them collectible. IMHO I'm not saying your :cuckoo: for thinking that way

Funny enough I know a few old fellas that do & to tell you the truth it probably peaks my interest as much as my figures do them. All I'm saying it's what ur interested in and not the ES that makes them collectible. IMHO I'm not saying your :cuckoo: for thinking that way
Well, thanks! :lol :peace
The only thing I meant was that if it's more rare, it will be more sought after. If the holy grail had an open ES, would it really be so sweet?

Well, thanks! :lol :peace
The only thing I meant was that if it's more rare, it will be more sought after. If the holy grail had an open ES, would it really be so sweet?

Hehe, I think it would count for me if it's an original prop Ie: Vader helmet screen used, The EFX version I don't care how many they make as I long as I get one, but if it's screen used now thats a low ES i'd want

isnt it wonderful we can all shake hands at the end, group hug?

ES isnt the only factor but it does play a significant role in my purchase. But at the end of the day, i think this is just all a bubble and we are fooling ourselves thinking those statues mass produced in some chinese factory with little QC and rough paints justify the $300+ price tag as highend collectibles instead of just toys.

Take a look at lladro ( https://www.lladro.com/themes/temas.mujeres-LLADRO_BY_THEME_WOMEN/ ), those are the true highend collectibles i think...funny thing is they are all selling cheaper than sideshow figures on ebay :lol now if only they started making marvel and movie statues...sideshow and their crap will be out of business within months.

I collect what I LIKE. I'm not interested in edition size because I collect for myself. Even if we call them collectibles we shouldn't look at them as investment.

Anyway back on topic. I'm really waiting to see the in hand pics of this one, especially if SS managed to improve it a bit.

I collect what I LIKE. I'm not interested in edition size because I collect for myself. Even if we call them collectibles we shouldn't look at them as investment.

Anyway back on topic. I'm really waiting to see the in hand pics of this one, especially if SS managed to improve it a bit.

Ditto. I'm hanging out to fill the gap in the collection.

I really hope they fixed the helmet a bit, especially the lower jaw part, under the frown

comparisontkhelmets.jpg

Back