Stephen Sommers Fired From GI Joe!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously! Now that's just talking out of your ass. It was a far better movie than the original.

agreed.. you would have to be completely brain damaged not to see that the Norton version was vastly better than the Ang Lee one...

I found that Ang's Hulk was silly and Norton's Hulk was boring. Was the new Hulk better? Slightly, IMO, but not much.

Sommers' trainwreck won't hinder the success of SSC's Joe line. A lot of beloved properties have had collosal failures in various mediums but people will always remember what first made them love the property in the first place. The greatness of those first few years of RAH won't be touched by Sommers, his rendition will quickly be forgotten by the 10 people who actually pay to see it and the line will continue on.

Sideshow's toy line is also a drop in the bucket of the marketplace. Edition Sizes of less than 4,000 - 5,000 total for each figure is NOTHING in the grand scheme. That won't be affected by the crap film. The only people who can hurt this line are Sideshow themselves.

I can only imagine the going ons behind the scenes at Hasbro right now. If I were them, I would stop immediate production of movie based toys and crank out as much 25th ann. figures and vehicles as you can! hahahah

If ONLY!!!

Sommers' trainwreck won't hinder the success of SSC's Joe line.

Agreed, but if/when the Hasbro movie figures don't sell, Walmart (the bastards) might decide that the brand as a whole doesn't sell, and then we can pretty much say bye-bye to the 25th line, which would suck...

Unless they go the route Mattel went and go online only...

Agreed, but if/when the Hasbro movie figures don't sell, Walmart (the bastards) might decide that the brand as a whole doesn't sell, and then we can pretty much say bye-bye to the 25th line, which would suck...

I see this as a HUGE concern. Hasbro is halting the 25th anniversary line to market the movie figures. MISTAKE! Stores will see this as the regular evolution of the Joe line and base any future orders off of it. So if the toy line tanks like the movie likely will, it'll go the way of Indy. Whereas, if they marketed them in addition to the 25th anniversary figures, like what they're doing with Wolverine (both movie/comic and animated), likely a retailer would just cancel the movie line and keep the other vs. saying, "Well, G.I. Joe just isn't selling, so we'll clearance our stock and pass on future orders."

The comparison to Lee's Hulk is what flipped the switch for the derail. :lol

Noooooooooooooo... The Siskel and Ebert one big thumb down review of the Hulk flipped the switch-- :D

Sommers getting the heave ho prior to the film's release at least allows the studio to see that the film's got major problems-- so that when it tanks unbelievably bad (Kevin Costner's WATERWORLD-- thenammagazine please insert derailing review here :D) there hopefully won't be a blame on the property or the characters themselves-- thus allowing someone else to enthusiastically say that "I can do it right." And maybe in five years we'll get a good representation of what we al know could be on the big screen.

As far as the toys... Anyone been playing with their Battlefield Earth stuff recently?

As far as the toys... Anyone been playing with their Battlefield Earth stuff recently?

Battlefield Earth toys never existed before the movie, and certainly were never popular. Its a little different with GI Joe. Personally I hope that Hasbro DOES take a huge hit on toy sales after the movie. Let the idiots figure out that its actually worth it to them to ensure a quality representation on the big screen when time comes for a reboot.

Battlefield Earth toys never existed before the movie, and certainly were never popular. Its a little different with GI Joe. Personally I hope that Hasbro DOES take a huge hit on toy sales after the movie. Let the idiots figure out that its actually worth it to them to ensure a quality representation on the big screen when time comes for a reboot.

this man, speaks true

True... But besides the 30+ year olds who are buying the 25th anniversary figs as collectors the kids aren't scooping these up-- and that means for sure that a line (movie) targeted for younger kids will most definitely be peg warmers... And that'll significantly hurt Wal-Mart wanting to restock with "other" Joe products down the line. Look at the death of the Indy Hasbro toys-- only die-hard collectors snatched those up.

...So perhaps all those people crying " this is the end of the world for the 25th annaversery line!!!" were not far off....

on the up side, once outback comes out, they will have released every figure i'd have wanted anyways.

I see this as a HUGE concern. Hasbro is halting the 25th anniversary line to market the movie figures. MISTAKE! Stores will see this as the regular evolution of the Joe line and base any future orders off of it. So if the toy line tanks like the movie likely will, it'll go the way of Indy.
I think both Hasbro and retailers can differentiate the 25th from movie figures. They have dealt with movie toys in the past for various toy lines, as well as Valor vs. Venom, Sigma Six, Mighty Muggs, Hasbro Heroes, etc., and I'm sure they don't assume that they are all the same, or that the sales of one will necessarily have much to do with the sales of another. But beyond this, do stores even decide what they order from Hasbro? Being possibly the largest toy manufacturer out there, I assumed that the Wal-Marts and TRUs of the world sold whatever it was Hasbro made, good and bad, having an influence on store exclusives if anything.

Also, the 25th anniversary figures weren't doing so well recently. They have been peg-warming at my Toys R Us for months now, and have even gone on sale at BBTS. Part of this is collectors losing interest because there is nothing new coming out, but I think the bigger part is a burn out factor. We got just about every major character from 1982-1985, and we got so much so fast that a lot of people were feeling that they were a bit over-saturated.

Personally, I think the "break" could be a good thing for the 25th line. When the movie has come and gone, if they start bringing back the remaining, important characters (not many--mostly the internet 7 packs and more 1986 and Resolute figures), maybe interest will have built back up again.

actualy, Wal-mart has a MASSIVE influence on what hasbro makes. Walmarts lack of intrest in the transformers animated toys, for example, is what killed the line.

the fact that the last time t was in stores 9 sigma six) it did poorly, is also the reason why retailers bought so very little stock of the gijoe 25th line.

Retailers in general, and walmart in particular have a MASSIVE influence over what toyss cmpanies like hasbro make. becuase if they don't order them, then hasbro can't sell them.

I think both Hasbro and retailers can differentiate the 25th from movie figures. They have dealt with movie toys in the past for various toy lines, as well as Valor vs. Venom, Sigma Six, Mighty Muggs, Hasbro Heroes, etc., and I'm sure they don't assume that they are all the same, or that the sales of one will necessarily have much to do with the sales of another. But beyond this, do stores even decide what they order from Hasbro? Being possibly the largest toy manufacturer out there, I assumed that the Wal-Marts and TRUs of the world sold whatever it was Hasbro made, good and bad, having an influence on store exclusives if anything.

Also, the 25th anniversary figures weren't doing so well recently. They have been peg-warming at my Toys R Us for months now, and have even gone on sale at BBTS. Part of this is collectors losing interest because there is nothing new coming out, but I think the bigger part is a burn out factor. We got just about every major character from 1982-1985, and we got so much so fast that a lot of people were feeling that they were a bit over-saturated.

Personally, I think the "break" could be a good thing for the 25th line. When the movie has come and gone, if they start bringing back the remaining, important characters (not many--mostly the internet 7 packs and more 1986 and Resolute figures), maybe interest will have built back up again.

I think it's quite the opposite. Hasbro likely sends them a product catalog and they flip through deciding what the store will carry and what it won't. If a certain line doesn't sell, they'll be likely to cancel future orders relating to the product. We saw this with Indy and I also saw this with the Mini My Little Pony line my daughter was collecting (also Hasbro). Neil touched on a point with the Indy figures which can be elaborated on. TOD would've sold fairly well (at least better than all the KOTCS junk) but retailers couldn't push the KOTCS crap, so they didn't order more which in turn, led Hasbro to cancel their major production of the TOD line. Using Hasbro's own history, I don't see how you can't be at least a little concerned.

That could be true. I don't know much about it except that Hasbro releases a bunch of crap that stores always seem to sell along with their good stuff. But there can be little doubt that general interest in the 25th line has been waning for a while now. Maybe the novelty has just worn off.

I'm not concerned because. . .I don't really need anything else. After the 7-packs come out, what else good is there to release beyond a few characters here and there (Footloose, some of the drivers, and some of the 1986 characters like Lowlight and Zandar)? Except for some of the wacky army builders, the post-1986 characters probably won't sell very well. I personally don't care much for any of them, and I get the same impression from folk at yojoe.com and the hisstank.

That could be true. I don't know much about it except that Hasbro releases a bunch of crap that stores always seem to sell along with their good stuff. But there can be little doubt that general interest in the 25th line has been waning for a while now. Maybe the novelty has just worn off.

I'm not concerned because. . .I don't really need anything else. After the 7-packs come out, what else good is there to release beyond a few characters here and there (Footloose, some of the drivers, and some of the 1986 characters like Lowlight and Zandar)? Except for some of the wacky army builders, the post-1986 characters probably won't sell very well. I personally don't care much for any of them, and I get the same impression from folk at yojoe.com and the hisstank.

I haven't really seen anything new out lately as far as the 25th Anniversary goes. Just the same ol, Cartoon Cobra Commanders, Alley Vipers and Duke. I wonder how many people got burned over Hasbro shorting production of the 80's Greatest Hits Battle Pack?

Back