Stephen King's It Remake 2017

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benny Weiss: The Jewish Clown Child-eater.

And only one man can stop him! Coming this fall to a theater near you.

d4B74ci.jpg

Finally caught this on HBO.

Thought it was just "okay."

Pennywise looked awesome but reminded me a little too much of Jim Carrey's Grinch and he never really felt that threatening outside of the opening scene. Too many times he'd catch or corner a kid only to slowwwwly advance on them or open his mouth giving them an opportunity to get away. Imagine if Jason or Michael Myers kept catching people but then before they could stab them their victims were constantly escaping. That really killed the tension in the movie for me. I knew that every "scary" scene was either a hallucination or him showing up only to fail at killing someone which made me just want it to be the finale already (which itself was pretty anti-climactic.)

I'm surprised at all the hype that this received.

Finally caught this on HBO.

Thought it was just "okay."

Pennywise looked awesome but reminded me a little too much of Jim Carrey's Grinch and he never really felt that threatening outside of the opening scene. Too many times he'd catch or corner a kid only to slowwwwly advance on them or open his mouth giving them an opportunity to get away. Imagine if Jason or Michael Myers kept catching people but then before they could stab them their victims were constantly escaping. That really killed the tension in the movie for me..

I agree that the film isn't scary, but I like the film as a coming of age adventure....horror story? Think, Goonies but with a supernatural clown, instead of an old lady.

Anyway, the reason he often let's the kids go is because he feeds of their fears, so they taste better the more they fear him, so he's essentially playing with his food most of the time. That doesn't explain why he killed Georgie so quickly, but it seems that he's just playing with his food throughout most of the film, trying to get the most fear out of them, because not only do they taste better, but it also makes him stronger. That's why when Penny was going to eat the kid with the broken arm, he stopped and became annoyed that Bill wasn't scared of his "scary" tactics. Same happened when Penny was attacking Beverly, he again became frustrated that she was resisting him. I think it kind of works. He often went after the kinds individually when they were most vulnerable, so at the end when they were together and fighting back, their lack of fear made Penny weaker and vulnerable.

I do agree that it kills some of the tension, so perhaps the film should have killed some of the kids even if that's not in the novel. I also think Penny should of had more dialogue, since he's almost a Freddy Kruger/Joker type villain.

Speaking of Joker, the IT film was made by WB and takes place in 1989, same year Batman came out, which they showed in background in the IT movie. It would have been cool to see the kinds in the theater watching the Batman film, and when the Joker's face was "melting" in the museum scene and he turns around and goes "Booo", it's Penny instead dressed like Jack's Joker. Just some fan fiction. :lol

Yeah lots of overlap with Freddy, Joker, and obviously Jeepers Creepers with the whole 27 year thing (which JC assumedly copied from IT.) But Pennywise just couldn't hold a candle to the menace of those other guys, not even a single PG-13 Joker. And his manipulation of reality didn't seem to have any established rules (unlike say Freddy who could only do certain things while the characters were dreaming.) Pennywise could create visions and hallucinations which I assumed was a form of hypnosis/telepathy but then there's the bathroom scene where he somehow coats the walls in blood that physically need to be cleaned up, yet is still invisible to grown-ups? Or he could put himself into old photos that the kids weren't even looking at? Why? For the benefit of the audience "Deadpool" style?

I just thought they were too all over the place with his powers from scene to scene. Sometimes he seemed all-powerful and sometimes he was a joke, depending on what the script wanted in any given second. And I actually hate the "feeds on fear" element. It's been done many times on screen (including Justice League) and pretty much every single time it just comes across as lame. I'd MUCH rather be chased by something that wants to eat my fear than something that wants to eat *me*. Lol

Even as an R-rated Goonies or Stranger Things I just never felt like I got to know these kids beyond how they run from bullies or solve mysteries. With Goonies and E.T. and all those classics we really got to learn what made the kids' tick *before* they were in any danger or going on an adventure.

And that actually is a really cool idea on having Nicholson Joker morph into Pennywise. :duff

I'm surprised at all the hype that this received.

Said by the RO fan. :lol

But I agree that it was "meh". The big problem is that the first scene with Pennywise talking to Georgie in the sewer was the only part of the film where Pennywise was independently creepy on his own. Everything else was either cheap jump scares or bad CGI.

Yeah lots of overlap with Freddy, Joker, and obviously Jeepers Creepers with the whole 27 year thing (which JC assumedly copied from IT.) But Pennywise just couldn't hold a candle to the menace of those other guys, not even a single PG-13 Joker. And his manipulation of reality didn't seem to have any established rules (unlike say Freddy who could only do certain things while the characters were dreaming.) Pennywise could create visions and hallucinations which I assumed was a form of hypnosis/telepathy but then there's the bathroom scene where he somehow coats the walls in blood that physically need to be cleaned up, yet is still invisible to grown-ups? Or he could put himself into old photos that the kids weren't even looking at? Why? For the benefit of the audience "Deadpool" style?

I believe IT has reality warping abilities, like Beetlejuice, and the adults are under his spell, so only the kids can see "the truth." Hence, how the bad kid got his knife back. I doubt Penny just went looking for the knife in the forest and later went to the post office to send the package. :lol Other times, he uses visions and telepathic attacks. He's been in that town for generations, apparently. I'm looking forward to part 2. :)

Said by the RO fan. :lol

But I agree that it was "meh". The big problem is that the first scene with Pennywise talking to Georgie in the sewer was the only part of the film where Pennywise was independently creepy on his own. Everything else was either cheap jump scares or bad CGI.

Ironically, the opening was the last scene they filmed, because they wanted to have a better understanding of the clown before filming Georgie's death. I kind of wish they had given Penny more dialogue. Hopefully the sequel will give Penny more to do besides screaming and running at the camera. :lol

I'll say this, I enjoyed it more than Blade Runner 2049 minutes :sleep. :chase

Ironically, the opening was the last scene the filmed, because they wanted to have a better understanding of the clown before filming that scene. I kind of wish they had given Penny more dialogue. Hopefully the sequel will give Penny more to do besides screaming and running at the camera. :lol

He talked more in the second half of the book, so we’ll see

Lol I’m reading the book. He seems to have an influence in the town and is in control of everything evil. He’s been in the town for generations and caused race riots and such.

Great review by Khev.

Great rebuttal by Clown.

Great rebuttal destruction by Khev.

Final verdit.

Go see Hereditary instead. :lol

Last edited:
Back