Stealth Iron Man to Red & Gold Repaint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates; I got a bit sidetracked with teh gloss but it's all worked out now. Still have to fix some of the gloss on the legs and do the final wash. I am up at Mammoth with some buddies till Wed night so I won't be able to post more till I get back but here are some pics I took before I left Sunday night.

iron-1.jpg

iron-2.jpg

iron-3.jpg

iron-4.jpg

iron-5.jpg

iron-6.jpg

iron-7.jpg

iron-8.jpg

Bruno

Bruno....you gotta take commissions brother, I want my SIM to look like that!!!! Excellent work!!! :rock :clap

looks fantastically awesome Bruno! the gloss is sweet!but what happened to the base? didn't it have much more blue?

IronMan-3.jpg

i liked it that way. looked just like the comic cover art.

looks fantastically awesome Bruno! the gloss is sweet!but what happened to the base? didn't it have much more blue?

IronMan-3.jpg

Exactly.....kik ass.

Whoo! That gloss actually came in a bit thicker than expected! If you thinned the gloss a bit, it should match the sheen that the Sideshow Red and Gold has.

I do agree Bruno, that you should take commissions.

If you already have the cast you could sell some Yellow light covers right here to help fund your paint supplies.:D

Unfortunately I no longer have the pressure pot or air compressor necessary to make the castings. Because the resin is clear, a pressure pot is needed to prevent lots of little bubbles from forming within and ruining the clear piece.

Bruno

Bruno....you gotta take commissions brother, I want my SIM to look like that!!!! Excellent work!!! :rock :clap

Hey Guys,

I really appreciate all of the supportive posts that I've gotten on this re-paint so far. I am really stoked at the positive response! I am only sorry that I have not been able to get it finished and photographed for you guys yet. My time was tight for the last couple of weeks and then I ran into some problems with the gloss/wash application. This is my first time attempting this type of high sheen metallic finish and it has definitely been a learning process.

At first I was going to apply the black wash before the gloss, but I did not like the finish I was getting on the metallic paint so I decided to gloss the figure first and then apply the black wash as the last step. Looking at photos that people had posted of their original Iron Man comiquettes, it seemed that this was the way that Sideshow did it as well.

Anyway, the gloss that I am using takes longer to completely dry than I originally thought so I ended up marring up the gloss job on the lower half of the figure while I was applying the gloss to the top half of the figure. Not a big deal because the lower half can be sanded smooth and re-glossed and 3 light coats are recommended for a high gloss finish anyway, so I'm not afraid of getting the gloss on too thick; but it is time consuming to sand, re-gloss and let completely dry. Hopefully I can have more photos up by mid week.

Bruno

IronMan-3.jpg

I had never planned on keeping all that blue there; but looking at the images I posted it does kind of match the cover:

IM076.jpg

But if you really look at the cover, all that blue should not be there. And in person it looked incomplete like that. I like the base as is, although maybe a bit more blue near his fist could also look cool.

Bruno

Once again, thanks for nice comments! I have gotten quite a few requests for commissions, and I am very flattered. Once I have finished this re-paint and posted the final photographs, I will seriously consider doing a few commissions, but I have to finish mine first! Once again, thanks for the nice words.

Bruno

Bruno the second you start to offer commissions please shoot me a PM. I am definitely interested in something like this.

I had never planned on keeping all that blue there; but looking at the images I posted it does kind of match the cover:

IM076.jpg

But if you really look at the cover, all that blue should not be there. And in person it looked incomplete like that. I like the base as is, although maybe a bit more blue near his fist could also look cool.

Bruno

yep, you're right.
well, i'd be interested in a commission too if you do them so PM me if ya do. thanks

Hi,

I realized that I never posted photos of the completed Iron Man, so here they are now. Thanks to everyone who posted the nice comments!

Iron-7-1.jpg

Iron-8-1.jpg

Iron-9.jpg

Iron-11.jpg

Iron-0.jpg

Iron-12.jpg

Iron-5-1.jpg

Iron-2-1.jpg

Iron-3-1.jpg

Bruno

That looks awesome! I seriously considered picking up a SIM to do this conversion, but a) I don't know if my skills are up to it, b) I am sure getting someone else to do it would have cost a mint, and c) I need to start collecting 1:4 stuff like I need a hole in my spleen, so I 86'ed the order.

Back