Start of collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lforigno

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I started collecting about a year ago and it was with the clear intention of ONLY collecting from the dark knight and Batman begins. But after being a member of these boards it is so hard not to move on a start to collect other things such as PF's.

I have actually had the willpower to not move on and collect anything else and was wondering how many people have actually had the same idea as me with only one license and move on to others???

I started that way - but realized very early on that I would never be able to concentrate on "that one thing" and I was right!! Now if it looks good and I like it and the price is right, chances are I will get it!!!

At first it frustrated me, not knowing which direction to go, looking back now, I wouldn't have it any other way.

So I started collecting about a year ago and it was with the clear intention of ONLY collecting from the dark knight and Batman begins. But after being a member of these boards it is so hard not to move on a start to collect other things such as PF's.

I have actually had the willpower to not move on and collect anything else and was wondering how many people have actually had the same idea as me with only one license and move on to others???

I started out like you only collecting one license predator.

I had at one point 5 pro painted resin model kits, 5 life size busts, the predator dioramas, and the predator maquette.

One day I realized I just needed on great representaion of each character. So I sold all my garage kits, and dioramas. Now I have one life size bust of the Predator 1 and one of the predator 2.

I moved onto other licenses as well. I am really into the character Kroenen from Hellboy, Robocop, the terminator T-800 endoskeleton, and Jason and Freddy Krueger.

You got a lot of restraint to not move into other characters.

You got a lot of restraint to not move into other characters.

well it is actually funny because I will visit sideshowtoy and I will have the pointer on the order button for a indy PF or t-800 PF and just cant do it. I love everyones collection but I feel that if I stay put and stay with the one collection I will be much more sane than having to worry about paying for the next figure to come out.

i was pretty much a Resident Evil, Alien, and predator collector exclusively until coming to these boards. now ive got things from all over the place, Hellboy TDK, pirates of the Caribbean, star wars. but i am liking the diversity of my collection now, so its not all bad.

I just started collecting 1/6 figures but I had been a huge garage kit collector back in late 80's early 90's. It was getting too expensive and the really good stuff was underground and hard to come by. The Midwest isn't the hot bed of the GK collecting world. Now I've stumbled on to this stuff and I'm glad/sad that I did. I love the fact that I can pose and move these figures. The details are great but I'm not stuck with the one pose like I was with GKs. I love film and to have characters that I can hold in my hand from my favorite movies is just amazing. I also don't have to work hours on a piece. It was fun but I build models for my job now and it's so nice to have some one else do the work for me. Great hobby!

louie! yeah its hard man. i get anything i love. youre alot saner to keep it focused. i have been better the past 2 years. i dont just focus on A line but only buy MUST haves. i try and make myself choose between 2. its tough being a freak :)

I bought a 12" Sideshow James Bond from Dr No years ago. That was going to be it. Now I collect Predator, Terminator, Alien, James Bond, Batman, RoboCop, Pirates Of The Carabian, 24 and Indiana Jones in various scales.

i remember when i started collecting sideshow star wars and my first fig was sith anakin and paid like 65 bucks for it, i thought THAT was expensive. then you move on to pfs and hot toys, now i drop 150 to 300 bucks without a second thought (flexpay does help alot). its really difficult to focus on just one line but im working on limiting spending habits.

It all started for me last year at SDCC. I went with two friends who are avid collectors with no intention of becoming one myself. At the Sideshow booth I was amazed by the Conan PF and ordered it with the intention of it being my only piece since the movie was a huge part of my childhood.

Since then I've purchased a midnight blue Mindzeye Hellboy, HT Dutch, 1/6 Vader, and HT Vito. I'm also going back to CC this year to see what I can add to my collection.

So much for owning just one...

I collect stuff that I want to collect. I'm not like "Hey, Star Wars 1/6 figures are popular so I'm going to collect them". Freaking no way! I like my characters so I'm buying

action figures, busts, statues dioramas, posters basically anything with

1. The Crow
2. The Punisher
3. Darth Vader (Just one SW character not entire SW universe)
4. Robocop
5. Predator
6. The Terminator
7. Friday the 13th

I have some other pieces but these are my primary collection items.

Man.. it looks like I'm a minority here. For years I've concentrated on collecting merchandise from only one franchise: Metal Gear Solid. That didn't change even after I became a member on this board, and it still hasn't changed in the present.

Of course, I have been collecting 24 (Jack Bauer) stuff for years as well. I guess, for me, I don't have any problems, whatsoever, just sticking to one (or two) particular franchises. Sure, there's a lot of other cool collectibles out there, but I rather stick to the stuff that I like the most.

I have never ever stuck to just one license in my whole toy-buying career. Nor have I been able to stick to one scale. I wish I could.

My Vice in detail-

Present:

Star Wars (3 3/4" only)
Terminator (7" and 1/6th)
Robocop (7" and 1/6th)
Predator (7" and 1/6th)
Aliens (7" and 1/6th)
Batman (1/6th)
Superman (1/6th)
Spiderman (1/6th)
Iron Man (1/6th)
24 (7" and 1/6th)

intend to add -

Wolverine (1/6th)
Rambo (1/6th) - hoping DX rumour is real

Past:

-McFarlane's Movie maniacs lines, different horror franchises - one-off figures mostly
-McFarlane's Austin Powers (good figs but I regret)
-McFarlane's The Matrix line
-N2 toys Matrix line (I regret)
-MooreActionCollectibles Buffy&Angel (I regret&stopped early on)
-Galoob's Star Wars Micromachines (will forever have a place in my heart)

More Distant past, stuff I no longer have:

-He-man
-Thundercats
-TMNT
-Gi-Joe (Action Force)
-Transformers
-Batman animated series
-X-men
-Spiderman
-Kenner Aliens&Predator
-Terminator 2
-Jurassic Park

LOL I was exactly the same way I started collecting comics when I. Was about 12 now I'm 18and I collect everything I started with buying $60 busts now I spend
Hundreds like ok the thor

Hey dude, well as you know, I am exactly like you in that I got into collecting high end 1/6 stuff starting with TDK, and my aim is simply to complete a FULL collection of really high quality TDK and BB stuff (and the follow-on film of course).

I'm a huge DC comics fan though and so I know I will spill onto stuff like Green Lantern which HT will hopefully pick up (and hopefully the movie will be good). I'm still waiting to see how good HT's watchmen stuff ends up being and I may get pulled into that... but never been tempted by PFs. I like 1/6 stuff the best...

Also - VERY VERY tempted by the Godfather. If they make a Michael Corleone, I will almost certainly be sucked into get him and Marlon Brando

I totally agree with the godfather. I am a huge fan of the first 2 movies and a michael corleone would be extremely hard not to pass up.

The Godfather is about my favorite 12" figure ever.

I used to think Hot Toys' stuff was horribly overpriced... until Bank Robber Joker came along. I now have it, Harvey Dent, and The Don. It's an addiction!

I always desired to collect Star Wars items mainly, I started with the Master Replicas products back in 2002, but their legacy ended with SW line in 2007. Then I heard about SSC and saw their Premium Format's live and fall in love. The first ones I saw were Army Of Darkness Ash PF and Arnie T-800 Life-Size Bust behind glass displays on convention. I couldn't believe my eyes how good they were. When I got back home, I instantly started to explore the details of the manufacturer and so on.... So I found Sideshow Collectibles and realized it's the best of the best with a variety of multiple themes with superb quality! Found this amazing forum last year, but started to collect this year and now I'm hooked. It's not only Star Wars to me nowadays, but it's also Marvel, other movie & tv characters, comiquettes, anything that has a good quality and interest to them. I'm getting deeper and deeper into the world of SSC each passing moment.

Collect For Life!

Started off with one MGS3 Naked Snake which I only found from my love of Metal Gear Solid. I then found Mediworld and then SSF and my downward spiral began.

I collected a lot before especially Star Wars and anime, but now I focused on a few lines only and even there i focused specifically on some items.

Star Wars - Original Trilogy Imperials only, with very few exceptions like Slave Leia or Droids. I collect SS figures, GG statues, Koto statues, props & replicas etc.
Terminator - mostly Endoskeletons from T1 & T2 (no interest in T3 ot TS)
Predator - Predator 1 & 2 stuff
Anime - mostly Masamune Shirow stuff (he is the creator of Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, Intron Depot etc), but a few other anime lines too.

Back