Star Wars Variant Characters - What do you prefer?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Star Wars variants - What do your prefer?

• Total voters

Seaward

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of threads, particularly with regards to the Star Wars line, and I was curious what people's interest is and how people might display "repeat" variant characters. For example, we have a Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight, but he could be an Endor Luke with a simple accessory pack (Helmet and Poncho).

Other possible Lukes wouldn't be such an easy change. Would you prefer a basic Luke, one from each film, and each could be complimented with accessory packs, or should each important costume change stand on its own?

Here's a quick thought:
ANH Luke: Tatooine, but SS could make an X-wing flightsuit accessory pack.
ESB Luke: Bespin, easily changed to Dagobah Luke, and an accessory Hoth snowsuit pack
ROTJ Luke: Jedi Luke, and the above mentioned possible Endor accessory pack

Should these be handled as seperate figures, or be given the changeable wardrobe? I have seen a lot of posts going in both directions, wanting unique figures to display with each change, or just wanting one figure, with swappable parts.

I have thought about that but since Im a MIB I would rather have individual figures plus thats getting really close barbieish.

The problem with not having separate figures is the whole "limited edition size" thing.

If you have say 2000 Lukes - but then got and publish another costume set - potentially you have doubled the demand for those 2000 lukes.

I would prefer to have seperate figures for each instance too, just thinking back on the old Kenner days, just having all sorts of cool little displays, and it was always nice if I had a variant major character for each set-up or skirmish when I was playing as a kid!

In most cases, I'd rather have a whole new figure -- new sculpt, etc.

I wouldn't want a whole fleet of Lukes with the same expression and just different outfits; that's crazy. I don't even want a Luke Dagobah and Luke Bespin; to me they are the same figure. Just give me the entire outfit and the blue backpack and I'm set.

I'm missing the "don't make multiple variations from one character" option here. Going for the accessory pack option so you can redress the figure is not quite the same. In fact, it's totally different.
I say, make one (the ultimate!) version of each character, and stop that expansion/accessory/creature pack thing. Sideshow is not Hasbro after all, and, even though I consider the 12 inch figures to be "toy-ish", I really don't want to play with them, let alone change their clothes!

Last edited:
New for sure. Why would I put ROTJ Luke in an ESB costume, that'd be terrible. He looked different, hair, face (in lukes case), makeup everything. Each new costume demands a new figure!

Give me individual figures. I'm not gonna go changing there clothes like a barbie doll.

Seperate figures for me. I would hate to have to look for nudes for outfit accessory packs. Plus the fact I do not think anyone would give them up if they did make extra outfits.

Seriously, I think we need BOTH options (because I am all about OPTIONS).

Also, there are certain characters that I know I will not buy multiples of.

I've just seen a few people post that they want new outfits, instead of new figures. personally I think each one is unique. I have eight jason figures (I think, I'd have to go in the other room and count them), and to the casual fan, there probably isn't enough different to warrant a new figure each time.

I really like the idea of having a couple of versions of some of the hero figures, and it really comes down to each persons preference. I know Sideshow won't abuse new version of old characters like Hasbro did though. I think I snapped when tatooine Luke was offered as a new figure with just his hat as the only new scrap of plastic.

I am okay with character repeats, as long as there is a new sculpt. I like the idea suggested earlier about the next ROTJ Luke having two heads. One sculpted with a helmet on and one sculpted without it.

i'm more interested in swapping heads with variant facial expressions.

TOE said:
i'm more interested in swapping heads with variant facial expressions.
Me too. I am not gonna buy an Endor Luke 12 inch figure just for the helmet, poncho and some new expression for $50+.

Naw. Give me the Endor accessories in a pack. Alternate head also good. $30 I am happy.:D

What I think we are all forgetting is that right now and until Leia the alternate head idea is not feasable. I do not have the time to heat my figure and pop the head and all that. With the helmet adapater implimented on future figures though, swappable heads are fine. For the first 10-12 comming out (everything until Leia) I just don't see any of them having acessory packs released if it involves a helmet.

I don't see why Sideshow couldn't do both -- offer complete figure variations of major characters, i.e. Luke -- while also offering $25-30 uniform/accessory packs with the essentials for that character mod.

Either that or I guess we could find an E-tailer that parts out SSC SW figs and buy the items individually. I'm sure dealers that part out SSC SW are far and few between, though.

Back