Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really *is* poetry!

tumblr_pvo59fs3II1rhdp6mo1_1280.jpg

I think the point is everyone on the internet has opinion on everything....

Even a stupid movie about a video game character which has no possible way of being close to a good film...

You know what they say about opinions.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Still has more views than the Star Wars trailer tho. If you were talking about sonic then of course it won’t be that good. But it’s more relevant than Star Wars is. Good or bad.
Really sad actually

The second one was obvious, the first and third easily overlooked.

The together-rule and don't-do-this are kinda hard to miss in the OT too.:dunno And it's all kicked off with Luke telling Ben "There's still good in him" and then telling Leia "I can save him."

tumblr_mc5myzRxNb1rx9233o2_500.gif

Pcc8.gif

Actually surprised they named broom boy. What a terrible name it was too. Kitster is way better.

I clicked on a random page of this thread and I'm already pissed :lol Something about the ST being more coherent than the PT.

Oh thank god Broom Boy finally has a name. I wonder if I'll be in time to get the domain name and gmail and tattoo it on my forehead.

I obviously disagree with your take on the meta commentary of TLJ, especially if you're suggesting that Rian Johnson was intentionally crafting the film to destroy what Star Wars was. Frankly, I think believing such a thing requires creating a very cynical context surrounding a guy who actually lived and breathed Star Wars when he was growing up. Instead of interpreting his intentions for the franchise from interviews that he did which had *nothing* to do with his SW film, I think it's more informative to evaluate his words about the franchise itself. This is a photo I took of a page from the art book for TLJ, for example.

View attachment 461864

Does that seem like someone who would have any interest in deconstructing the franchise in order to tear down what it had built? I'd also point out that Johnson chose to go to film school at USC because George Lucas was his hero! One of the most admirable things about Lucas is that (at his best) he aspires to be bold and innovative; he's not a status-quo kind of guy. Much like his hero, I think Rian Johnson understands the need to push things forward - to take risks and shake things up in order to make it seem fresh.

In the famous sit-down interview Lucas did with CBS after TFA came out, he said that he didn't like that they made a movie that goes backward (a retread of sorts). Lucas wanted to push the saga *forward* to its conclusion, and show how it's all about family and generational changes/improvements (not just about the Jedi/Sith conflict in the eternal struggle between good and evil).

From my perspective, Johnson inherited a story from TFA that almost forced a complete retread for the rest of the trilogy. But he managed to use that to turn everything on its head. The result is a film that opened the door for a multitude of possible storylines to conclude the saga on. No longer was it "Vader 2.0" (Kylo) being manipulated by "Emperor 2.0" (Snoke) only to be redeemed in the end by "Luke 2.0" (Rey). Johnson changed the trajectory far more than I would've thought possible. The Kylo/Rey dynamic now has its own unique place in SW context. And Kylo ends the film no longer at the mercy of a puppet master; he's in charge of his ultimate destiny.

We'll see where J.J. takes the ball and runs with it now; but if his Vanity Fair interview is any indication, I have reason to hope that being bold and creative is more of a priority for him now with this final installment than it was when he made TFA. For me, that's the best way to preserve relevancy for this franchise for the long term.

When those of us who were kids when the OT came out are all dead and gone, I'd like every succeeding generation to have their own version of that SW experience growing up. That won't happen with nothing but retreads, nostalgia-driven entries, and soft reboots. You don't kill the past, but you also don't merely repeat/copy it; you use the strengths of it to spring forward and keep evolving. I think that was more of the aim Johnson had in mind for TLJ.

Wow somehow I missed this post last summer but what a great read ajp! :rock

Reading that epic AJP post knowing now how things turn out for the poor guy what a shame... TROS was like an RKO out of nowhere for AJP. He even had hope that JJ's priority was to be bold and creative ... only now, at the end, do you begin to understand.

Actually surprised they named broom boy. What a terrible name it was too. Kitster is way better.

I clicked on a random page of this thread and I'm already pissed :lol Something about the ST being more coherent than the PT.

The Ducky upon opening this thread

The Mummy 1.jpg

The Ducky five minutes later

The Mummy 2.jpg

Reading that epic AJP post knowing now how things turn out for the poor guy what a shame... TROS was like an RKO out of nowhere for AJP. He even had hope that JJ's priority was to be bold and creative ...

TROS was though. Did *anyone* ever imagine pre-TROS that we'd see "perfect" Rey attempting to execute an unarmed man who had ceased fighting?? No way. *No way.* I still can't believe that we actually saw that play out on screen. Even Anakin himself when he executed Dooku seemed to do it partly as a simple prudent tactical maneuver and with the chancellor himself basically making it a direct order. Rey needed no such goading, she was nuts!

Also making the main hero a Palpatine of all things instead of going with the predominant theories of Skywalker or Kenobi. ajp got what he asked for in the end, he just didn't realize that he really wanted something safer and less bold all along...(not that there's anything wrong with that.)

IMO the "problems" with TROS aren't that they played things safe, it was just the somewhat erratic pacing (which does smooth itself out once they reach Pasaana) some of the goofier elements (snake, knife, space horses) and then trying to cram so much story in that not all threads were completed (Finn wanting to tell Rey something, Lando's daughter.) But the main narrative with the core characters and the risks they took was rock solid.

TROS was though. Did *anyone* ever imagine pre-TROS that we'd see "perfect" Rey attempting to execute an unarmed man who had ceased fighting?? No way. *No way.* I still can't believe that we actually saw that play out on screen. Even Anakin himself when he executed Dooku seemed to do it partly as a simple prudent tactical maneuver and with the chancellor himself basically making it a direct order. Rey needed no such goading, she was nuts!

Also making the main hero a Palpatine of all things instead of going with the predominant theories of Skywalker or Kenobi. ajp got what he asked for in the end, he just didn't realize that he really wanted something safer and less bold all along...(not that there's anything wrong with that.)

IMO the "problems" with TROS aren't that they played things safe, it was just the somewhat erratic pacing (which does smooth itself out once they reach Pasaana) some of the goofier elements (snake, knife, space horses) and then trying to cram so much story in that not all threads were completed (Finn wanting to tell Rey something, Lando's daughter.) But the main narrative with the core characters and the risks they took was rock solid.

I think a lot of AJP's enjoyment with TLJ was that despite TFA being an obvious re-tread of Star Wars (leaving TLJ in a position where it could be an obvious re-tread of TESB) it did not go that way. In fact, it seemed to me that Rian deliberately set-up the call backs and mirrored scenes from TESB and ROTJ only to throw the outcome of those scenes on their head. TLJ left us in a position where the old cast was dead, the resistance basically crushed, and Kylo had now ascended to main antagonist and until Crait it seemed like Kylo might even be above the almost petty rebel empire dynamic and wanted to go somewhere else (maybe try and make the galaxy better by ruling with an iron fist, much like Anakin once eluded to in AOTC).

BUT... JJ came along and basically said i am not happy with how you played with my toys Rian. This is how you were supposed to play with them and effectively undid all (or as many as he could do) of Rian's 'new bold' directions. To the point where we ended up at the very end of TROS with an almost exact replica of the three way split third act battle of ROTJ complete with same bad guy but with everything dialled up to 11 (everything that is except the stakes). Seemed like he played it pretty safe to me.

Yes the throne room temptation while a battle rages outside is straight out of ROTJ, no doubt. Though the presence of the Sith Cultists, space horses, fighter pilots feeling more desperate and overwhelmed, Palpatine nuking the fleet, and flipping the family thing so that the main hero was related to *him* really changed up the dynamic.

But all throughout we were getting new stuff instead of every scene simply "rhyming" with a past SW scene. The snake scene was more from Conan than anything SW, 3PO sacrificing himself and speaking Sith was *way* out of left field (and let to a plethora of hilarious banter), and the saber duel between Rey on the Destroyer and Kylo on Kijimi was like nothing we'd ever seen in the Saga before.

Back