Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (12/18/15) Discussion Thread

Heck even I like Qui-Gon Jinn despite holding the opinion that he is a completely pointless character who was actually to the detriment of the overall story.
Actually he was the only good Jedi character in the whole PT and the story makes sense only cuz he was there and his beliefs were presented.

Yeah, the movies weren't that good but the story was.
Yes, PT has destroyed your childhood image of Republic and Jedi.
But guess what? That's the point. OT has it's extremely good and charming but as childish as cotton candy.
You can hate PT for whatever reasons (even I hate them for not being as good as they should) but not for the story :)

Actually he was the only good Jedi character in the whole PT and the story makes sense only cuz he was there and his beliefs were presented.

Yes, PT has destroyed your childhood image of Republic and Jedi.
But guess what? That's the point. OT has it's extremely good and charming but as childish as cotton candy.
You can hate PT for whatever reasons (even I hate them for not being as good as they should) but not for the story :)

The story of Palpatine's rise to power was good. The more important stories of Anakin/padme and then his fall to the darkside were not.

Qui-gon was cool and well played by Liam Neeson. He was an unnecessary character though, I don't see how the story needs him to make sense, you'll have to elaborate on that. He delayed Obi-wan training Anakin for an entire film, that's a waste. Because of him, Obi-wan and Anakin share like...2 scenes in the entire film. That's a waste. Especially considering we'd never heard of this guy before. An unnecessary overcomplication, just like the midichlorians, just like the spanner Lucas threw into the whole force ghost thing by having Qui-gon not disappear when he died. Pointless stuff in the scheme of things.

Last edited:

I'm a huge star wars fan and of course, like many, can't stand the prequels. The Phantom Menace was the biggest let down because it was the most anticipated movie of them all. A new star wars film after over a decade? The dialog was bad, the acting was dry, Jar Jar Binks, and the pod racing scene were among the worse parts. The only saving grace was a double bladed saber wielder who killed a Jedi.

Last edited:

In what sense? I find it very hard to disentangle story from execution, because the characters, the pacing, the drama (tension and release), they are all important components of the story IMO. But I have heard there are streamlined fan edits of the prequels that make them much better. I haven't seen these, but would like to at some point. Take out a lot of the unnecessary CG filler and convolution, take out some of the cringe-worthy scenes, change some of the behaviors around a bit so the characters were more relatable and genuine, and maybe you do have something. But I can't see it. My opinions are in line with a-dev's--there are a handful of things I enjoyed about these films, but nothing more than that.

I never understood this position. I can't remember thinking once between 1983 and now that Harrison Ford gave a lame performance in RotJ.

Yep., never bothered me or crossed my mind at all. But people love to over analyze things, with nothing better to do I guess.

:lol

Should you even be calling that a 'franchise'? It implies you acknowledge more than one movie as canon, no?

The story of Palpatine's rise to power was good. The more important stories of Anakin/padme and then his fall to the darkside were not.

Qui-gon was cool and well played by Liam Neeson. He was an unnecessary character though, I don't see how the story needs him to make sense, you'll have to elaborate on that. He delayed Obi-wan training Anakin for an entire film, that's a waste. Because of him, Obi-wan and Anakin share like...2 scenes in the entire film. That's a waste. Especially considering we'd never heard of this guy before. An unnecessary overcomplication, just like the midichlorians, just like the spanner Lucas threw into the whole force ghost thing by having Qui-gon not disappear when he died. Pointless stuff in the scheme of things.

:exactly:

Should you even be calling that a 'franchise'? It implies you acknowledge more than one movie as canon, no?

Palpatine's rise to power only becomes briefly interesting in ROTS. The whole scene at the opera is great, but unfortunately is undermined by Anakin's story. Darth Vader supposedly did it all for love? Puh-leese.

So, watching the Clone Wars and how independent the Clones act there, was Order 66 an order or a genetic part of their make up? Never been clear on that....

Not sure why everybody hates episodes 1-3, I liked them. They did there job of telling the story of the rise of the Darth Vader perfectly fine. They may not be on par with the OT (well for me ROTS is the best movie, the other two are at the bottom) but they still are enjoyable to watch.

Not sure why everybody hates episodes 1-3, I liked them. They did there job of telling the story of the rise of the Darth Vader perfectly fine. They may not be on par with the OT (well for me ROTS is the best movie, the other two are at the bottom) but they still are enjoyable to watch.

On the whole, I feel the same way. Where the disconnect for me comes in is where one realizes how much BETTER they COULD HAVE been.

So you rather of had Obi Wan find Anakin, train him during the first film and thats it?

Back