Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (12/18/15) Discussion Thread

its happening

Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, Kenny Baker, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow.

starwars_2896101b.jpg

Exciting!!! No Billy Dee?

Even the most negative hateful everything sucks glass is half full jaded cynical muther****er will get goosebumps with that photo of the 3 working on a new SW movie.

It certainly worked on me. :lol

Last edited:

Daisy Ridley looks too much like Natalie Portman to not be the daughter of Leia and Han.

Even the most negative hateful everything sucks glass is half full cynical muther****er will get goosebumps with that photo of the 3 working on a new SW movie.

It certainly worked on me. :lol

Somehow Ford looks badass even just lounging in that little black and white pic. :rock

Ford, Hamill, Fisher, and Serkis? Collision of worlds! :panic:

Sydow? He's a perfect "old guy in SW" dude!

I want to see Han walk into a cantina, see a Rodian that pisses him off and snap his neck MOS style. Suck it Lucas! :lol

Somehow Ford looks badass even just lounging in that little black and white pic. :rock

Ford, Hamill, Fisher, and Serkis? Collision of worlds! :panic:

Sydow? He's a perfect "old guy in SW" dude!

I want to see Han walk into a cantina, see a Rodian that pisses him off and snap his neck MOS style. Suck it Lucas! :lol

Even if Han is no longer wearing his iconic outfit, I would still be content with just his leg holster and blaster.

I know its not realistic to expect a character to be wearing his same outfit for 30 plus years, but just ask my wife, my clothing style hasn't changed much in 30 plus years. :lol

https://badassdigest.com/2014/04/29...e-new-female-star-wars-cast-member-get-to-be/

Women make up 51% of the population of this planet. We can extrapolate that even in a galaxy far, far away and in a time that is long ago that ratio is somewhat the same. So why is Star Wars Episode VII so very, very dude-y?

This film introduces eight major new characters to the saga (there are likely many more characters, but only the really vital ones were at the table read today - leads and important supporting characters), but only one of them is a woman. And the law of storytelling averages shows us that her role in this film will, in some capacity, be as a love interest to one of the seven men. She might even be caught in a love triangle, reminiscent of the original Star Wars trilogy (never rule out useless echoes and symetry in either Star Wars or JJ Abrams films).

Having only one female lead is pretty standard for the saga - both the original and prequel trilogies allowed only one major woman into the mix. This time it might be different depending on the size of Carrie Fisher's role - we might actually have two female leads! That would be groundbreaking, I guess.

Representation is a tricky issue. You want to let storytellers tell the stories they want without presenting them with a checklist of things/people they must include. At the same time you kind of hope that, seven movies into a saga that spans almost forty years in real time, somebody would have figured out that women like to see these movies and also like to see themselves onscreen and also can do most of the things in a movie that a man can do. Some of them can even pee standing up, if that is a major story point.

Hey, maybe there's a real reason why most of the new cast is male - perhaps they all meet in the Tatooine Boy's Choir - but it's disappointing that Star Wars, one of the major pop cultural movers of our time doesn't seem to understand that our attitudes towards women in film have changed, and that it not only should reflect that but maybe should help continue bringing female characters to the screen.

This feels a tad premature. For all we know, Ridley is the lead and face of the new series. Especially if she's Han's daughter and the trilogy is her Kill Bill quest for vengeance.
12 • Reply•Share ›

Devin Faraci Mod Brian Duffield • 4 hours ago
It doesn't feel premature to note that out of eight new characters only one is a woman. That's a crazy ratio.
59 • Reply•Share ›

YayMayorBee Devin Faraci • 4 hours ago
Yes. What's upsetting is that none of the supporting roles (Leia aside) are filled by women. Compare this with say, Guardians of the Galaxy, which has one female lead in Zoe Saldana, but also Karen Gillen and Glenn Close in substantial supporting roles.
16 • Reply•Share ›

Brian Duffield YayMayorBee • 4 hours ago
Marvel has yet to let a woman lead one of their movies. For all we know, Ridley might be the lead and Isaac/Boyega are her back-up. I'll take that over Glenn Close in a supporting role.
3 • Reply•Share ›

Devin Faraci Mod Brian Duffield • 4 hours ago
Boyega is listed first in the release. He's the lead.
20 • Reply•Share ›

Here you go...

Here's the younger newcomers for SW7:
Oscar Isaac
247784_600.jpg

Daisy Ridley
246997_600.jpg

John Boyega
247368_600.jpg

Domhnall Gleeson
247076_600.jpg

Adam Driver
246772_600.jpg

Now that I think about it looking at this line-up none of the guys really scream "leading man" to me. I wonder if Daisy IS the lead of this new trilogy. I said from the beginning it'd be kind of cool to have a chick driving the action this time around.

LOL, the CBS national evening news just ran the Star Wars casting story and they circled the heads of Hamill, Ford and Fisher, placed their names next to the circle and announced their names as the returning original cast.

Everyone else was ignored. :lol

Thank god there's going to be another female. Who want's to join my Lupita cast in SW 7 prayer circle? :lol
tumblr_mt4natCb4w1se9fcoo1_500.gif

LOL, the CBS national evening news just ran the Star Wars casting story and they circled the heads of Hamill, Ford and Fisher, placed their names next to the circle and announced their names as the returning original cast.

Everyone else was ignored. :lol

ABC World News did something similar. They did the scrolling type announcing the returning cars but they also mentioned Andy Serkis as the only name from the new folks.

I would almost be positive that a female is going to lead this new series, think about it it's a daring, brave, and something we have not. seen in Star Wars. I would not mind a female lead as long as they made it believable, and still kept her feminine qualities. There's nothing more than I hate are these CSI cop show type females that are masculine and punch a 275 pound man in the face to knock em out

Back