Star Wars On Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prior to the prequils, I always envisioned Anakin as a thirty something, with a great deal of intelligence and presence. That's something that should have been apparent prior to him becoming Vader. The tragedy of him being lured to the dark side being that he had so much more potential, but ultimately was drawn by power and vengance. Instead, we get a whiny little brat played by one of the most annoying actors I can think of. I'd dare say, the dark side actually improved that characters demeanor. At least he quit whining, and pissing about and focused on something. The dark side was the best thing to ever happen to Anakin Skywalker. He ceased being Anakin, and became Darth Vader, and thank God for it.

Anakin should never have been portrayed as a self-absorbed , immature twit. He should have been mature, wise and intelligent, and a generally good man. Show he has a good heart, and a desire to learn and grow. The prequel Anakin never did seem like a good man, so I never felt the tragedy of his passing to the dark side. It was an awkwardly good fit for him really. However, if it had been like Lord of the Rings, with the dark side being the one ring, he could have morphed philosophically over the prequels, giving in to the power, and doing Vader like things throughout.

There would have been no need for the child stage in the phantom menace. He could have been discovered as a young man with a very unusually strong connection to the force.

He had to be trained despite Jedi rules, due to the strength of this connection lest he never learn to control it. In some ways, you get the impression the council almost fears not to train him, sensing there's something wrong. Vader could be why Yoda didn't want to train Luke at such an age. No metachlorines or "the one" crap.

In time, he comes to realize he is stronger than everyone else, changing from a humble and pious man to a power hungry and over confident one who would wonder why shouldn't he wield his power however he likes. He has the prowess and poise to control it (not the sense of entitlement we get from the movie version of Anakin), or so he thinks.

Remove the uncomfortable romance of Anakin and Padme, and redo it with someone in his life from before he was discovered, and have the Emperor use these tendencies towards want of power (similar to Keanu Reeves and his wife's relationship in Devils Advocate) to draw him to the dark side against her. The last movie Anakin betrays the council and Obi Wan, drawing more from the real 3rd movie than any of the others.

Notice the themes and general story remain the same, but the tone of the character changes. And, thus the viewer can understand the tragedy the OT movies imply. A truly good man becomes corrupt and evil. The prequel Anakin we got, was clearly going dark side even if you didn't see the OT movies. He was flat made for it, literally.

Totally agree. Anakin's character should have mirrored Obi-Wan's, noble, loyal to the Jedi Order, but with obvious greater power. Pretty much the Anakin of the Clone Wars cartoon, at times it's as if they are two different characters.

Totally agree. Anakin's character should have mirrored Obi-Wan's, noble, loyal to the Jedi Order, but with obvious greater power. Pretty much the Anakin of the Clone Wars cartoon, at times it's as if they are two different characters.

Yeah, that cartoon portrayal has struck me as a far better way to do Anakin. Different writers though. These days, Lucas seems to get really caught up in the business side of making the movie. And, the story suffers for it. Either he needs to delegate the writing, or delegate the production. When that happens, we seem to get a better final product. As Anakin goes, Luke tells Vader at one point "I sense the good in you." He must have acquired that after becoming Vader, cause I never sensed much good in him before that. The cartoon version however, does seem to be good.

1. You're not meant to overthink SW. Not even the OT can stand up to that.

2. Only someone with the Force as his ally can defeat the Emperor. There is exactly ONE person in the entire galaxy who knows how to use the Force: Luke. You're old and are about to die (or are already dead and a ghost about to fade into the Force.) Who ELSE do you send as one last ditch attempt to defeat the Emperor?

Luke might have been a fool's hope, but he was still their only one. Yoda wasn't exactly enthusiastic about endorsing him.

You got some good points in there, but what bothers me ....

Why did Yoda and Obi-Wan wait so long just for Ben to stumble across Luke in the desert while Luke himself just stumbled accidentically across droids that are important for the whole rebellion? Why didn't Obi just went in to casa Owen when Luke was a youngling and started training him? Or took Luke as a youngling to Yoda so Yoda might not have died before training really made Luke a full power Jedi Master? If Ben was responsible for the boy, because he lived on the same planet, why didn't Yoda take action in training Leia, is that a sort of macho thinking? Like: First we train the boy, only if he fails we train the girl.

In the end, it looks like this:
Both Jedis just forgot about Luke AND Leia, others continued the fight for a rebellion, risked their life for deathstar data while one Jedi lived in a swamp eating snakes while he could do better in training a youngling that is one half of the only hope the galaxy has and the other sat in his hammock on a desert planet while he could do better in training a youngling that is the other half of the only hope the galaxy has.

:gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::gah:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a SW fan!

Prior to the prequils, I always envisioned Anakin as a thirty something, with a great deal of intelligence and presence. That's something that should have been apparent prior to him becoming Vader. The tragedy of him being lured to the dark side being that he had so much more potential, but ultimately was drawn by power and vengance. Instead, we get a whiny little brat played by one of the most annoying actors I can think of. I'd dare say, the dark side actually improved that characters demeanor. At least he quit whining, and pissing about and focused on something. The dark side was the best thing to ever happen to Anakin Skywalker. He ceased being Anakin, and became Darth Vader, and thank God for it.

Anakin should never have been portrayed as a self-absorbed , immature twit. He should have been mature, wise and intelligent, and a generally good man. Show he has a good heart, and a desire to learn and grow. The prequel Anakin never did seem like a good man, so I never felt the tragedy of his passing to the dark side. It was an awkwardly good fit for him really. However, if it had been like Lord of the Rings, with the dark side being the one ring, he could have morphed philosophically over the prequels, giving in to the power, and doing Vader like things throughout.

There would have been no need for the child stage in the phantom menace. He could have been discovered as a young man with a very unusually strong connection to the force.

He had to be trained despite Jedi rules, due to the strength of this connection lest he never learn to control it. In some ways, you get the impression the council almost fears not to train him, sensing there's something wrong. Vader could be why Yoda didn't want to train Luke at such an age. No metachlorines or "the one" crap.

In time, he comes to realize he is stronger than everyone else, changing from a humble and pious man to a power hungry and over confident one who would wonder why shouldn't he wield his power however he likes. He has the prowess and poise to control it (not the sense of entitlement we get from the movie version of Anakin), or so he thinks.

Remove the uncomfortable romance of Anakin and Padme, and redo it with someone in his life from before he was discovered, and have the Emperor use these tendencies towards want of power (similar to Keanu Reeves and his wife's relationship in Devils Advocate) to draw him to the dark side against her. The last movie Anakin betrays the council and Obi Wan, drawing more from the real 3rd movie than any of the others.

Notice the themes and general story remain the same, but the tone of the character changes. And, thus the viewer can understand the tragedy the OT movies imply. A truly good man becomes corrupt and evil. The prequel Anakin we got, was clearly going dark side even if you didn't see the OT movies. He was flat made for it, literally.

like it
:clap
now film it and release as a SE

Yeah, that cartoon portrayal has struck me as a far better way to do Anakin. Different writers though. These days, Lucas seems to get really caught up in the business side of making the movie. And, the story suffers for it. Either he needs to delegate the writing, or delegate the production. When that happens, we seem to get a better final product. As Anakin goes, Luke tells Vader at one point "I sense the good in you." He must have acquired that after becoming Vader, cause I never sensed much good in him before that. The cartoon version however, does seem to be good.

The good in Anakin is always present in the OT, he's always ready to sacrifice himself to help others. In ep. I he goes out of his way to help total strangers, in ep. III he worries about his soldiers while it is Obi Wan who doesn't really care how many die as long as the mission is accomplished.

When did he slaughter younglings in the OT?
I assumed he really meant the PT, when he was giving examples:
The good in Anakin is always present in the OT, he's always ready to sacrifice himself to help others. In ep. I he goes out of his way to help total strangers, in ep. III he worries about his soldiers while it is Obi Wan who doesn't really care how many die as long as the mission is accomplished.

Well obviously he was sparing these younglings from starving to death once the Jedi order fell.

Right?

:monkey3
That makes sense. I guess he really was thinking of their long-term well being. Alleviating those poor children from the burden of life. Of all the child murderers in the history of film, he's gotta be one of the top 5 nicest.

Speaking of the BluRays... anyone know of good deals on the complete box set? I'm hoping to find a deal as a gift for my mother.

Amazon has it for $80 shipped.

Was anyone else hoping that buried in one the blu rays would have been the Holiday Special? I know the cartoon is there, but hoping the rest would have been as well.

Back