Star Wars On Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I've just been reading through the May 1974 rough draft of Star Wars posted here:

https://starwarz.com/starkiller/2010/03/the-star-wars-rough-draft/

Amazing stuff, a lot of which ended up in The Phantom Menace.

1. 10 year old Force prodigy on Tatooine (originally Luke's little brother who is cut down by a "Sith Knight" who travels to the desert planet by himself in a chrome ship hunting Jedi.) Then Luke's father cuts the Sith Knight in half with a lightsaber. Very Darth Maulish.

2. 14 year old Princess with handmaidens.

3. Palpatine invading a planet at the beginning through the guise of a trade embargo

And so on. It totally makes me look at TPM in a whole new light.

Wow, I've just been reading through the May 1974 rough draft of Star Wars posted here:

1. 10 year old Force prodigy on Tatooine (originally Luke's little brother who is cut down by a "Sith Knight" who travels to the desert planet by himself in a chrome ship hunting Jedi.) Then Luke's father cuts the Sith Knight in half with a lightsaber. Very Darth Maulish.

3. Palpatine invading a planet at the beginning through the guise of a trade embargo

It's why I don't get the people who insist that SW has always been about Luke. It's always been Anakin/Vader's story. :huh

It's true, just look at the 1980 interviews on the disk with Mark and Harrison where Mark mentions the prequel story and some of those items.

At the end of the day, it's still GL who created all 6, plus his inner circle.

Thanks for the link, yeah cool stuff, very interesting.

Although I kept hearing Harrison Ford in my head saying "you can write this ____ George, but you can't say it!"...

:lol

And if you read that draft "Luke Skywalker" is actually the name of the Obi-Wan Kenobi character and "Annikin Starkiller" is the person who obviously became the character we now know as Luke.

Not so sure. That version would've unfolded though with the rise and fall of Anakin still.

Not so sure. That version would've unfolded though with the rise and fall of Anakin still.

Maybe I simply need to read more then. I'm squeezing it in through seeing to clients at work and have read about a quarter of it so far. As of now "General Luke" sounds like Kenobi and "Annikin Starkiller" (who is introduced to us looking up at the Tatooine sky with his binoculars) sure seems like Luke.

But its really playing as if the events in TPM are the opening act of the film, and in breaking up the story into six parts he really did go back and stay true to much of his original story origins.

That's fascinating.

Maybe I simply need to read more then. I'm squeezing it in through seeing to clients at work and have read about a quarter of it so far. As of now "General Luke" sounds like Kenobi and "Annikin Starkiller" (who is introduced to us looking up at the Tatooine sky with his binoculars) sure seems like Luke.

But its really playing as if the events in TPM are the opening act of the film, and in breaking up the story into six parts he really did go back and stay true to much of his original story origins.

That's fascinating.

That's the core of it, other stuff he made up as he went along after SW became a huge hit.

Blueprint is definately there though for some of the stuff we saw in the PT.

That's fascinating.

I'm honestly surprised, given your level of geek (not intended as a slight) that you didn't already know about this. :lol

It's why I don't get the people who insist that SW has always been about Luke. It's always been Anakin/Vader's story. :huh
Only retroactively, in my view. Clearly the OT is Luke's story. Yes, it culminates with Vader's death, so ROTJ wraps up Vader's story arc, but for the first two films he's simply the antagonist (albeit a charismatic one with key connections to other major players of course). It isn't until ROTJ that Vader does anything more than chase down the key rebels and try to convert his son to the dark side, and even there the change in Vader's perspective doesn't happen until the very end. So, he's a pretty static character in Star Wars and Empire. If all the movies were always about him, first and foremost, then it seems like he would've experienced more change and development in those other films.

I'm honestly surprised, given your level of geek (not intended as a slight) that you didn't already know about this. :lol

I'd never read the actual draft before, only seen references in other literature to "Jedi Bendu," "Starkillers," various twins and Sith organizations and whatnot. But that draft proves that Lucas really did go back to his original outlines and work some pretty significant portions of them into the prequels where he could.

I think the fact Obi-Wan aged so much on Tatoine
is not because of the Tatoine heat
but the fact he turned to heavy drinking in his loneliness

Only retroactively, in my view. Clearly the OT is Luke's story. Yes, it culminates with Vader's death, so ROTJ wraps up Vader's story arc, but for the first two films he's simply the antagonist (albeit a charismatic one with key connections to other major players of course). It isn't until ROTJ that Vader does anything more than chase down the key rebels and try to convert his son to the dark side, and even there the change in Vader's perspective doesn't happen until the very end. So, he's a pretty static character in Star Wars and Empire. If all the movies were always about him, first and foremost, then it seems like he would've been more than a one-trick pony in those other films.

Starts in the 3rd act of ESB newb. While I agree to some extent about SW, I also think, as I said earlier, that it's all over the place. ESB moves Vader into "check" with ROTJ being the "check mate." I can also understand why we follow everybody else because 2 hrs of pacing back and forth on a Star Destroyer waiting for them to arrive at plot points would be ____ing boring. :lol

I'd never read the actual draft before, only seen references in other literature to "Jedi Bendu," "Starkillers," various twins and Sith organizations and whatnot. But that draft proves that Lucas really did go back to his original outlines and work some pretty significant portions of them into the prequels where he could.

Wasn't there a doc about this in the DVD Collectors sets? Aside from reading about it in interviews and fan club jazz back in the day, I think they also had that info in there.

When he started writing EP1, he just re-used a few ideas originally written for the first movie in 74-75. It's not like there was always one solid outline for the whole thing that he stuck to. In fact, he had an even more throrough outline for how it would all wrap up than he did for the prequels... until he scrapped it just before ROTJ and went for the Saturday family movie approach.

I don't know about that. If the performances felt too unnatural, I don't think I could have much of an affinity for the OT, or for any movie for that matter where characters are supposed to behave as if they existed in a real world (exceptions for obviously stylized movies like Raising Arizona, Brazil, or Fear and Loathing), or unless a character is supposed to be a real eccentric type (like Stansfield in the Professional). You can encounter a goofy situation or deliver a goofy line naturally (like McGregor in the prequels) or awkwardly/stiffly (like Portman in the prequels). On the whole, the OT crew behaved more believably and thus made the dramatic component more compelling to me. The officers on the Death Star could've been German officers in a WWII period piece. Luke's uncle and aunt felt like they could've been having dinner on the Walton's. I didn't feel that way for much of the PT, and it goes beyond the fake environments and CG characters (though they no doubt contribute to it).

I can only speak for myself but I disagree. The acting or how they acted really is 110% the same and the love scenes/lines are equally as bad. Obviously you feel differently which is fine.

Back