Star Wars On Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they still don't suck.

They have always been entertainment. Nothing more.

So quality wise (overall) there isn't a glaring difference between the films from the late 70s and 80s compared to the late 90s and 00s?

I mean, a differing opinion is fine by me, I'm sure there are plenty of other things we can agree on but I've always seen the "newer" movies as a lower caliber film and the "older" films as a higher caliber of films.

Perhaps I'm looking too far into it but I've always felt that the originals had a quality or a heart to them that the prequels lacked and I don't think it's nostalgia (I wasn't even old enough to see or understand the originals when they came out to theaters and missed it UNTIL the special editions). Was I entertained by the Prequels, yeah, for the most part but do I consider them in the same level or zone as the others, no.

But your standards are lower than most, Josh. And not just with SW. You're hardly ever critical about anything and are absolutely one of the easiest people to please. But here's the thing: I'm not saying that as am insult. That's probably a great trait that you have, honestly. We're just obviously not all like that.

What an insulting thing to say. To a friend at that. I'd like to think he has discretion and saves that angst for something more worthwhile. But I digress, I'm sure Josh can fight his own battles.

:nono Screw that, sir. I'm not walking across the street to borrow this thing at this point, much less waste a penny on it. If you're happy with it, great. Good for you. I honestly hope you enjoy it.

It's not even a matter of that. At this point, it just seems soooooooo ____ing cliché to whine about a Star Wars release. I'm not the least bit surprised about the changes (honestly, I don't think you were either), whether I like them or not, and frankly, it is what it is. Like the trilogy DVD packs, this will be the only time I'll be purchasing Star Wars on BluRay regardless of what Uber Ultra Platinum Director's Skywalker Ranch Special Extreme Bantha Poodoo Edition releases Lucas (or his daughter should he pass) pulls out of the Lucasfilm culo five years down the road.

I won't even be buying the 3D BS when that's released because I despise the gimmick. Though, I will be taking my children to the movies so that I might enjoy the same pleasure my parents did of watching me watch whatever version of SW is up on the big screen.

What an insulting thing to say. To a friend at that. I'd like to think he has discretion and saves that angst for something more worthwhile. But I digress, I'm sure Josh can fight his own battles.

What are you going to do if Josh agrees with him or doesn't take offense to it? :lol

But your standards are lower than most, Josh. And not just with SW. You're hardly ever critical about anything and are absolutely one of the easiest people to please. But here's the thing: I'm not saying that as am insult. That's probably a great trait that you have, honestly. We're just obviously not all like that.

ok carl. :lol

Yeah, I don't get into my overly boxers in a bunch mode unless its for things that matter. Sure, I have things I want to see or don't care for when they're messed with I just don't go 5 year old on them. I enjoy my entertainment and collecting for what it is entertainment and collecting. They bring me enjoyment and I'd rather save my angst for things that matter to the world in general.

This thread is tedious.

I hate 90% of the changes Lucas has made over the years, and absolutely hate the newest changes, but I don't feel the need to _____ and moan constantly. What good will it do? It certainly won't change Lucas' mind (like he would be reading a toy forum to begin with). But I also think people have the right to give their opinion.

I think both the haters and apologists need to take a step back and stop acting like children. The insults are ridiculous.

And you are at the opposite end of the spectrum and come off as hyper-critical. You and Josh make a good couple.

"BUT the stuff Irish is talking about are plainly money-mongering tactics to get half-witted fans to cough up money. It is sad that there are so many SW fans out there that so blindly just buy this stuff since it is "a must of every fan" whether or not it is what they say it is. And that is true with even considering the changes that people are upset about."

But you see it's ____ like this that does torque me off...and has for a long while. People like yourself get ssooo defensive, when people like me get in your face. You and your agenda don't want to be marginalized, yet you just made a blanket implication that whoever decides to purchase and enjoy this release is a "half-witted" fan.

_____ YOU!!! I'm not jumping on this boycott bandwagon just because you or someone else said so.

Besides, it's stoopid!

Realistically it safe to realize that people's memories of Star Wars will never match the actual thing. Hell what I remember ESB to be doesn't exactly match with the original ESB itself when I used to watch it. These progressions in Lucas' mind are the same thing. These are my son's Star Wars but they'll never be mine and if I'm honest with myself the VHS tapes I own that look like relics at this point aren't really my Star Wars because my mind takes what it likes and jettsons the rest. If I edited SW to my own personal likes most of the films would probably be about 35 minutes. :lol

I look at it this way:

The changes ARE a big deal. I mean for all of the things going on in the world today for this to be getting the news coverage that it has (that i have seen anyways) is pretty surprising, so for those blowing it off as no such a big deal, they are wrong.

Is it a big deal in the scope of things to be mad about? HELL NO!

Am I irritated by it? Yea I am, but It won't change anything.
I was really looking forward to owning this set and re watching the whole saga. Sept. 16 has been in the back of my mind for months because of it, but after seeing the changes etc. No i don't even want the set. I can due w/ my 2004 set.
I am sure the OT will be released at some point on bluray in its original format no matter what lucas says.

I think people have a right to want the set or not want the set. Have your own opinion on it. Thats great. the forum is for discussing those opinions.

I grew up too late for the OOT and have only seen the films in SE format. I feel like as a SW fan I should own the OT in the format that made them the Legendary movies they are, in the quality they should be seen in. I feel like it is a slight to the legacy of the these films. Because beyond SW fandom that well all participate in, these movies redefined cinema and changed the way movies are made, but those versions of the films do not exist anymore according to Lucas, and I think it is sad.

"BUT the stuff Irish is talking about are plainly money-mongering tactics to get half-witted fans to cough up money. It is sad that there are so many SW fans out there that so blindly just buy this stuff since it is "a must of every fan" whether or not it is what they say it is. And that is true with even considering the changes that people are upset about."

But you see it's ____ like this that does torque me off...and has for a long while. People like yourself get ssooo defensive, when people like me get in your face. You and your agenda don't want to be marginalized, yet you just made a blanket implication that whoever decides to purchase and enjoy this release is a "half-witted" fan.

_____ YOU!!! I'm not jumping on this boycott bandwagon just because you or someone else said so.

Besides, it's stoopid!

Quick get the sedatives!!! lol at this :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

The "other" was actually referring to Anakin/Vader.

Originally, when Luke was to confront the Emperor he was going to have help from Obi-Wan and Yoda's force spirits. But they don't win until Vader turns. It takes the combined efforts of all 4 (Vader, Luke, Obi-Wan, and Yoda) to defeat the all powerful Emperor in a Jedi Battle Royale. At the same time, Wookiees are battling the Imperial forces. I know. I've read the actual treatment that was written around 1979-1980ish. But it was to be for Episode IX, not VI.

According to Gary Kurtz the "other" was definitely always to be a twin sister of Luke who was also being trained as a Jedi. The "Vader plus ghosts" thing from story meetings was only after it was decided that Luke's sister wouldn't have any special skills and would just be Leia.

Kurtz told IGN what the original outline for ROTJ was to be. If only....

KURTZ: "Much, much less. [Return of the Jedi] would have been quite sad, and poignant and upbeat at the same time, because they would have won a battle. But the idea of another attack on another Death Star wasn't there at all ... it was a rehash of Star Wars, with better visual effects. And there were no Ewoks ... it was just entirely different. It was much more adult and straightforward, the story. This idea that the roller-coaster ride was all the audience was interested in, and the story doesn't have to be very adult or interesting, seemed to come up because of what happened with Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Indiana Jones films – and the fact that that seemed to make a lot of money and it didn't matter whether there was a really good story or not – that wasn't what this kind of film was about. We had serious differences about a lot of that."

https://movies.ign.com/articles/376/376873p4.html

I have enjoyed Star Wars since I was 7 and I will enjoy Star Wars until the day I die..... but I hate all these chages.

Realistically it safe to realize that people's memories of Star Wars will never match the actual thing. Hell what I remember ESB to be doesn't exactly match with the original ESB itself when I used to watch it. These progressions in Lucas' mind are the same thing. These are my son's Star Wars but they'll never be mine and if I'm honest with myself the VHS tapes I own that look like relics at this point aren't really my Star Wars because my mind takes what it likes and jettsons the rest. If I edited SW to my own personal likes most of the films would probably be about 35 minutes. :lol

You know, we probably don't like the same kind of movies but I couldn't agree with you more. I geniunely wish every fan had their own favorite version of the movie out there to enjoy. In a way we already do. I wish the fans could have the Originals done up on BD, for myself included. I get into the fan edits and think some of them are a great reflection on this cultural phenomenon we all claim to love.

What I don't get is attacking the "man" GL on such a personal level or trying to impose one persons impression of art for everyone else. We didn't create it, we didn't finance it, we didn't take all the risks necessary to make it happen. Would I've made the same choices he has??? Absolutely not! No two people will ever do the same things the same way. And for that matter, people change. If GL's "worldveiw" and philosophies have changed and/or evolved, what's with this "crime", changing his piece of art to reflect that?!?

Hell, even the Constitution changes, gets ammendments and whatnot and I consider that to a much more inspired work.

But I'll admit, I'm getting fed up. If ugliness is your thing so be it.

I have enjoyed Star Wars since I was 7 and I will enjoy Star Wars until the day I die..... but I hate all these chages.

Some of them are funny. Which I'm sure wasn't the intention.

blinkl.jpg

Back