Star Wars Live Action and Clone Wars TV shows

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Animated Series (spoilers)

I rewatched the first epiosde today(wich I really dont do the next day) and then watched Rookies. They work really well, but I don't like this jumping around crap. I mean the series doesnt have to be a complete serial, but jumping back to season 1 in season 3 is annoying. I'm also sick of them visiting crystophsis in the series that falls BEFORE the movie. I find it very annoying.

And I don't mind a Jar Jar apearance next week as long as it's Ahmed Best doing the voice.

Somewhere I heard it mentioned that 5 seasons worth of material was already done. So, I'd guess we'll see that much... it not a lot more since the series seems to have a lot of support.

This show won't be leaving Cartoon Network anytime soon. And I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming Seth Green animated SW comedy lands on the network as well. At the Turner campus, the CN marketing teams have dug in and there's even a FT department dedicated just to CW now.

Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Spoilers

Last night's episode was cool, but I admit the Anakin/Asajj and Obi-Wan/Grievous duels are wearing a little thin. We know Grievous survives until ROTS and that Asajj isn't dying anytime soon so there's no real anticipation of any resolution. Just some cool moves before, once again, they're separated before anyone can strike a killing blow.

Just watched the episode today - man, it was great! I loved Shaak Ti. The animation on her, the way she looked, moved, and walked, was fantastic. I am confused as to why her eyes kept changing color, but whatever.

When 99 was killed, I kinda teared up. :monkey2

Ah, Clone Wars...

Like any TV series, there are hits and misses...last year had a lot more "misses" for me...boring, new characters (yeah Bad Name, er, Cad Bane I'm lookin' at you), trampling on established continuity (granted, it's novel & comic-based continuity, but it's those mediums that maintain interest in SW for many fans and viewers of this show) with the horrible take on the Mandolorians (pacifists on a neoclassical mall planet with another overdressed, brittle dame calling the shots...wha? Obi-Wan, the king of Jedi principles had/has a girl friend...wha?) Would've been one thing if either of these significant changes felt original or added anything new but instead, they just seemed like uninspired stabs at being "different". The Boba Fett episodes had some signs of life...but they too kind of trampled over established (movie) continuity in a few spots, most notably the split helmet...you know the one that AOTC so carefully established the visual cue for, right down to it's dented dome, only to render that whole exercise pointless by destroying the helmet and the episode arc ended with Fett being led away by the Jedi...so is he a prisoner? What's up here?

Well, we don't find out in the season 3 openers...two episodes that work really hard at giving viewers what they "want" by re-visiting a popular first season episode "Rookies", giving us a "slice of life" look at clones and their training...and also turns into another exercise of ignoring established behavior with the Clones via some very popular books from Karen Traviss. ARC Troopers are mentioned and briefly shown, but not a Mando in sight. There were some inspired moments here...the "99" character seemed an odd fit here, performing duties one would expect to see droids doing, but he ended up generating most of the emotional punch of the episodes. The quick visual of the embryo containers smashing to pieces during the attack had a great intensity.

While the animation shows clear improvement, (Shaak Ti was as radiant as Ventress was snarled) some things fell very flat...Kamino looked stiff and lifeless.

I want to like this show...I do. But with planned visits featuring characters I feel like I already know well from other mediums (Quinlan Vos, the Delta Squad), I'm trying to remain hopeful that these characters will keep their edge and not go the weak way of the Mandos.

We'll know more in the weeks ahead....

Last night's episode was cool, but I admit the Anakin/Asajj and Obi-Wan/Grievous duels are wearing a little thin. We know Grievous survives until ROTS and that Asajj isn't dying anytime soon so there's no real anticipation of any resolution. Just some cool moves before, once again, they're separated before anyone can strike a killing blow.

I agree, except for the Ventress part. She's not likely to survive this season. And good riddance, I say. Of course she'll just be replaced by an even more annoyingly contrived character: Darth Maul's brother, Asage Opress or whateverhisnameis.

Ah, Clone Wars...

Like any TV series, there are hits and misses...last year had a lot more "misses" for me...boring, new characters (yeah Bad Name, er, Cad Bane I'm lookin' at you), trampling on established continuity (granted, it's novel & comic-based continuity, but it's those mediums that maintain interest in SW for many fans and viewers of this show) with the horrible take on the Mandolorians (pacifists on a neoclassical mall planet with another overdressed, brittle dame calling the shots...wha? Obi-Wan, the king of Jedi principles had/has a girl friend...wha?) Would've been one thing if either of these significant changes felt original or added anything new but instead, they just seemed like uninspired stabs at being "different". The Boba Fett episodes had some signs of life...but they too kind of trampled over established (movie) continuity in a few spots, most notably the split helmet...you know the one that AOTC so carefully established the visual cue for, right down to it's dented dome, only to render that whole exercise pointless by destroying the helmet and the episode arc ended with Fett being led away by the Jedi...so is he a prisoner? What's up here?

Well, we don't find out in the season 3 openers...two episodes that work really hard at giving viewers what they "want" by re-visiting a popular first season episode "Rookies", giving us a "slice of life" look at clones and their training...and also turns into another exercise of ignoring established behavior with the Clones via some very popular books from Karen Traviss. ARC Troopers are mentioned and briefly shown, but not a Mando in sight. There were some inspired moments here...the "99" character seemed an odd fit here, performing duties one would expect to see droids doing, but he ended up generating most of the emotional punch of the episodes. The quick visual of the embryo containers smashing to pieces during the attack had a great intensity.

While the animation shows clear improvement, (Shaak Ti was as radiant as Ventress was snarled) some things fell very flat...Kamino looked stiff and lifeless.

I want to like this show...I do. But with planned visits featuring characters I feel like I already know well from other mediums (Quinlan Vos, the Delta Squad), I'm trying to remain hopeful that these characters will keep their edge and not go the weak way of the Mandos.

We'll know more in the weeks ahead....

Actually, here is my biggest problem with this show: Are we really supposed to buy that all of this happened between the events of AOTC and ROTS?? The war and clone stuff, sure. But everything else? Ventress? Ashoka? Pivotal characters during this time who aren't even mentioned during ROTS (of course because they hadn't been invented yet). And now Darth Maul's brother? Come on. And Anakin and Obi-Wan apparently fought Dooku again 7,000 times between AOTC & ROTS... but do you get that at all by watching the film? "... since the last time we met, Count" is absolutely referring to the AOTC duel, not some random CW duel.

And awkwardly contrived PT continuity isn't the only big issue. The Boba Fett episodes last year would have us believe that Jango's Slave I was actually destroyed during the CW. Okay, so Boba builds another with a new paint scheme and calls it... Slave I? And Jango's helmet (with the dent) also blows up, too? WTF. It's like they're not even thinking, or don't care. Probably the latter.

That's why even though I do enjoy some elements of the show (and there are a few gem episodes) I can never accept it as part of the canon of the films. Doesn't fit in at all.

the "ten year old within" had a lot of fun catching up with the season opener this afternoon...

when i was kid, we had "Droids" and "Ewoks" in animated form... i wonder if the older dudes sat around nit picking them?

it is all about finding that ten year old spirit.

My inner ten year old is jumping up and down after reading this thread. My inner 35 year old wants to slap him because he's perfectly happy the Republic comic arc and the original CW cartoon.

You guys are killing me.

And I remember thinking that the comic series "obsession " was pushing it ..... Sigh

Lucas blocks it thru the official site - if you guys can suggest another I'm listening !!

Buy a US iTunes voucher from Media Without Borders and create a US log in. Then you're free to watch it on iTunes the following morning. You get a much better quality picture (HD if you pay an extra $1) and some of your money goes towards supporting future series. Oh and I can carry the latest episodes round on my iPhone!!

That's why even though I do enjoy some elements of the show (and there are a few gem episodes) I can never accept it as part of the canon of the films. Doesn't fit in at all.

I think the reason I've been able to enjoy Clone Wars so much is that I can actually accept this show as canon more than the prequel films! Seeing Anakin as a child, exploring his mysterious parentage or how he was recruited into the Jedi really added nothing crucial to the overall story, to say nothing of his lackluster display as an adult. ;-)

Even as a kid, after ROTJ was released, I always imagined that any prequels should be about the Clone Wars the same way the OT was about the war between the Empire & the Rebellion. We all knew it involved Anakin & Obi-Wan fighting together as comrades only to eventually become adversaries, setting the stage for Anakin's fall from grace. IMHO, the prequel films rushed through that story & robbed it of all its dramatic potential. So far, the CW series seems like a better venue to tell that story & give it all the nuances it needs.

While the Season 3 premiere wasn't as good as the best of last season, it wasn't without its solid moments. The exchanges between Grievous & Ventress were great, as were the giant mechanical squid-shaped vehicles used to attack Kamino. I'm also fascinated by the camaraderie between the clones because they are literally like having a multitude of twin brothers. And it's interesting that, as the war continues, Jango Fett's original DNA is degrading from the cloning process, suggesting that inferior future generations will be more capable of turning against the Jedi.

The one bone I do have to pick is the 99 character being a total rip-off of Ephialtes from 300 (ugh, all these numbers...)

Last edited:

I try to think of the CW series more as EU than canon. And with that said, it's about the only EU I partake in.

Actually, here is my biggest problem with this show: Are we really supposed to buy that all of this happened between the events of AOTC and ROTS?? The war and clone stuff, sure. But everything else? Ventress? Ashoka? Pivotal characters during this time who aren't even mentioned during ROTS (of course because they hadn't been invented yet). And now Darth Maul's brother? Come on. And Anakin and Obi-Wan apparently fought Dooku again 7,000 times between AOTC & ROTS... but do you get that at all by watching the film? "... since the last time we met, Count" is absolutely referring to the AOTC duel, not some random CW duel.

And awkwardly contrived PT continuity isn't the only big issue. The Boba Fett episodes last year would have us believe that Jango's Slave I was actually destroyed during the CW. Okay, so Boba builds another with a new paint scheme and calls it... Slave I? And Jango's helmet (with the dent) also blows up, too? WTF. It's like they're not even thinking, or don't care. Probably the latter.

I've been thinking the same thing about all of those encounters between Anakin, Kenobi, Ventress, Dooku and Grievous. We're supposed to accept that these people fought over and over again...so why wasn't the first words out of Dooku's mouth by the time of ROTS just "Oh, you again?"

And yes...having characters like Asoka become so "important" during the CW only never to be mentioned in ROTS is a bit awkward.

But it's the complete disregard to all other mediums of SW (the books, the comics and yes, the movies) that gets to me after a while.

I try to think of the CW series more as EU than canon. And with that said, it's about the only EU I partake in.

...and considering how the show is going, that's probably the best attitude to approach CW with...it's just that it's creeping ever-closer to that cringe-inducing "wouldn't it be cool if..." Infinities than being just offering an "alternate " take on things...

...and considering how the show is going, that's probably the best attitude to approach CW with...it's just that it's creeping ever-closer to that cringe-inducing "wouldn't it be cool if..." Infinities than being just offering an "alternate " take on things...

The scary part is that they're writing season 5 episodes now. You would think they would've come up with a long-term plan like the Lost guys did. I guess the way this show is "planned" is indeed more like what you've suggested.

Re: The Clone Wars

I don't know if this question has been asked before, I'm sorry if it has been.
Where does the new Clone Wars cartoon series fall into? I know it takes place between the movies Episode2 and 3 but the other Clone Wars series ended with General Grievous kidnapping Palpatine. So where does this new one take place? I thought Mace Windu was the reason Grievous has that hacking cough, he crushed his lung area. When Anakin and Obi-Wan meet Grievous in Episode 3,Anakin remarks on Grievous' height,when they've already met in the Clone Wars series.
Can anyone explain this,besides lousy story telling?

Where does the new Clone Wars cartoon series fall into? I know it takes place between the movies Episode2 and 3 but the other Clone Wars series ended with General Grievous kidnapping Palpatine. So where does this new one take place? I thought Mace Windu was the reason Grievous has that hacking cough, he crushed his lung area. When Anakin and Obi-Wan meet Grievous in Episode 3,Anakin remarks on Grievous' height,when they've already met in the Clone Wars series.

I don't think they recognize the original Clone Wars shorts as canon. This new series, for all intents and purposes, is.

I would assume before the micro series, but I haven't seen those in years and I'm not sure if that series was also just random times in the war and not in any actual order neither. And technically, I don't think Anakin & Grievous has ever met in person in the CW, hence why it's always Obi-Wan vs Grievous and Anakin vs. Ventress most of the time

Back